Author Topic: Rear sway bar  (Read 1482 times)

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
Rear sway bar
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:49:46 AM »
Has anyone removed their rear sway bar and noticed a difference? I know the Prowler 500 didnt even come with one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Rear sway bar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:57:38 AM »
    On this particular machine no experience, but on other ATV's in the past removal of the sway bar caused the suspension to bottom out when hard cornering. Being an independent rear end, extra weight causes them to squat more. I have heard thru the grapevine that when Artic Cat uses the Kymco machines they put  stiffer springs to try to up the weight ratings a little. Can't say if if it is true or not...Don't think I would eve want to remove mine, they are on there for a reason!!

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 02:03:51 AM »
Well I was wanting to relocate the springs to the other holes that are on the top mounts to lift the machine up a bit, but you cant with the rear sway bar there. 

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
Well I was wanting to relocate the springs to the other holes that are on the top mounts to lift the machine up a bit, but you cant with the rear sway bar there. 

Hey Kurt I know it's a common practice on the Rangers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ranger+rear+swaybar+removeal&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS736US736&oq=ranger+rear+swaybar+removeal&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.10087j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Polaris+ranger+rear+sway+bar+removal

People have commented its a non issue unless doing a lot of high speed riding it gets twitchy. Otherwise they say it works great in the rough. If Airshot is correct about the stiffer springs in the Cat that explains why they list the box capacity 50lbs greater than the Kymco. I'd say go for it. I plan to.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:55:47 AM by k9bitten »

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
I remember reading somewhere here that the owner had removed the sway bar to get some additional height by moving the shocks and I believe that the only problem was high speed handling. Similar to what Airshot said.

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
Ok ya I couldn't remember what thread that was on.

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »
Ok ya I couldn't remember what thread that was on.

When you DO roll it in the corner we want pictures! lol

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »
When you DO roll it in the corner we want pictures! lol

Well of course I have to test out the Body Armor!!

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »
I had asked that same question last summer! I havent gotten around to removing mine yet. Building a house with a pregnant wife kinda pauses things like that. Probably will do it later this summer. Will update if and when I do it

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:13:50 AM »
Ya I had knew somebody had asked it, but I guess I was too lazy to scroll through the posts and check. I am going to race my 450 next month so I prolly will wait to lift it until after that.
 Ya I feel you, I have a one yr old son now and I built the Off Road Body Armor business over the past year, spending a lot of late nights in the garage and on the comp after my son goes to bed. Needless to say my wife hasnt been very pleased. But I keep telling her hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:18:29 AM by Driemeyer25 »

MaineIac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
I took mine off and moved the springs, For granted i haven't yet been on a long enough ride to really feel it but for what i have done as of yet with it, it has been fine

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 12:39:42 AM »
Ya I had knew somebody had asked it, but I guess I was too lazy to scroll through the posts and check. I am going to race my 450 next month so I prolly will wait to lift it until after that.
 Ya I feel you, I have a one yr old son now and I built the Off Road Body Armor business over the past year, spending a lot of late nights in the garage and on the comp after my son goes to bed. Needless to say my wife hasnt been very pleased. But I keep telling her hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Brings back memories of when my kids were small and our family was growing.  I worked as a tool maker, sometimes long hrs, then created a gunsmithing business out of my home and taught apprenticeship training for 23 yrs at the local community college. My wife always complained about not being home much, but she never complained about spending the extra money!! She now sees some of that extra was put away so we can now enjoy our retirement. 

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 12:53:12 AM »
I took mine off and moved the springs, For granted i haven't yet been on a long enough ride to really feel it but for what i have done as of yet with it, it has been fine
Thanks man, I look forward to doing it soon!

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
Kurt I haven't relocated any of my shocks. But i did adjust the preload on them. Screwed them all the way up on all four corners. Hasn't negatively effected the ride at all. In fact I think it made it more stable. Not near the body lean/roll in corners. Plus the ground clearance is better now especially with the 26" bighorn tires.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »

Did you move the front also?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()