Author Topic: GV house call repair in SE Portland, Oregon?  (Read 3023 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
GV house call repair in SE Portland, Oregon?
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »
After unreliable starting for a while now, my GV is dead. After trickle charge or even with jump start kit, it just clicks, does not turn over.  I'm not sure how to test battery life without it running.
Any advice welcome.
Or referrals to someone who can come to my garage to fix it...  I'm so annoyed with this unreliable thing...

Thanks!
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: GV house call repair in SE Portland, Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:10:10 AM »
The most likely problem by far is that you have a dead battery. You could pull yours out and take it to your local Autozone or Advance Auto and they will test it for free. Or you could just get a new battery. Thats what you need.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:11:51 AM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 03:37:14 AM »
You've simplified my life, Paul. Thanks.
People 150 (sold)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
Your welcome. Please let us know how it goes.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
It seems you are not familiar with changing batteries...
They can be treacherous.
Messy acidic corrosion on the external connections can burn your skin and eat holes in your clothing if you are not cautious.
Always flush & wash your hands well after handling a battery. Do Not touch your face !
A battery store will change the battery for you, usually at no charge, yet you will need to show them where it is.
redk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »
Personally, I would not be inclined to turn the average auto parts store clerk loose changing the battery in my scoot. Maybe the car but NOT the scoot. Never.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »
It seems you are not familiar with changing batteries...
They can be treacherous.
Messy acidic corrosion on the external connections can burn your skin and eat holes in your clothing if you are not cautious.
Always flush & wash your hands well after handling a battery. Do Not touch your face !
A battery store will change the battery for you, usually at no charge, yet you will need to show them where it is.
redk

Good safety pointers Red. I always recommend AGM gel batteries. No worries about spilling acid, unless you get them dry and add the fluid yourself. I agree with Karl about having the auto parts store changing the battery.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 12:35:43 AM »
Thanks, Red, et al, for your safety concerns. I'll wear my vinyl gloves in the future...

NAPA tested both my batteries (the original and my newer Yuasa). Both tested fine.

So, the fact I'm not getting any kind of turnover when trying to start the engine, is not due to the battery. Could it be my trickle charger is defective? Or (more likely) something's wrong in the scoot?

Any simple tests I can do to know for sure what the problem is, or is it time to give more money to the mechanics?
People 150 (sold)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »
See if Advance Auto or Autozone will charge the battery for you. Then try it on your scooter. I still think its the battery, but then I am not there.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:16:25 AM »
Thanks, Red, et al, for your safety concerns. I'll wear my vinyl gloves in the future...

NAPA tested both my batteries (the original and my newer Yuasa). Both tested fine.

So, the fact I'm not getting any kind of turnover when trying to start the engine, is not due to the battery. Could it be my trickle charger is defective? Or (more likely) something's wrong in the scoot?

Any simple tests I can do to know for sure what the problem is, or is it time to give more money to the mechanics?

If you've hooked the battery back up, verified it has charge, verified that your power switch is on, & tried gripping both brakes (to verify it's not just one switch in them), you're down to a wiring issue or a bad starter.  Either way I'd take a look at the starter, & make sure it's wired properly, maybe even try to jump the solenoid just to see if it spins (make sure bike's on center stand, & that you don't ground yourself).
Beyond that you're looking at switches I'd figger.

And just for the sake of argument.  How old is your battery?  If it's more than a couple years you may want to consider a new one anyway. 
Won't hurt unless ya spill acid on yourself while filling it. :) (of note if ya get one like I tend to buy you would need a charger, probably a bit more aggressive than a .75 float charger)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:57:34 AM »
Hi Tromper,

Thanks for weighing in.

The Yuasa (Powersports AGM YTX 12-BS  /  M3RH2S) was bought new around 6/15 so it's nearing the 2-year mark. The other is from 2013, I believe.

What kind of battery do you buy?

I may try to jump that solenoid; that'll be a first. If I can find it!  Do you just touch a screwdriver to both screws to make the connection, or is that ill-advised?
People 150 (sold)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »
Hi Tromper,

Thanks for weighing in.

The Yuasa (Powersports AGM YTX 12-BS  /  M3RH2S) was bought new around 6/15 so it's nearing the 2-year mark. The other is from 2013, I believe.

What kind of battery do you buy?

I may try to jump that solenoid; that'll be a first. If I can find it!  Do you just touch a screwdriver to both screws to make the connection, or is that ill-advised?

I would buy a YUASA like you have. at two years if it's been on a trickle charger when it's been stored it'd be a bit odd for it to be toast, but it's possible.
If you didn't use a tender then it's not unlikely.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Jump-a-Starter-Solenoid-/10000000206348240/g.html

Tells a 101 of jumping a solenoid.  I've done it on cars, not a scooter, basically would do it just to see if the starter spins.
Before you do that you though.  Read this.
http://www.cyclepedia.com/starter-system-troubleshooting/
Check out this & similar.

If you don't have a multi-meter you can get a good enough one cheap from harbor freight.

Honestly with bikes it's most often the battery, but there are enough variables here that you want to rule some stuff out first if you're going to open it up anyway.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
Thank you, Tromper!

I have some research and homework to do. Will update y'all after the solenoid experiments...

Aaron
People 150 (sold)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »
Hey, what about the fuse in the battery/charging system? Could that be at fault? Is it easy to access and replace? I have the repair manual PDF but those little low-res black and white pix are not that useful...
People 150 (sold)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 05:38:02 AM »
Update: Had a local bike luminary stop over. I'd like a second opinion; can you see if the below seems sound? Thanks!

After testing the battery that was supposedly up to charge from the trickle charger, and seeing it erratic and not appearing fully charged, he judged the battery faulty. But also suspected the trickle charger (a cheaper Harbor Freight one).

He managed to jump start the bike from my Schumacher lithium jump device. It didn't take immediately; several clicks of the starter before any rev occurred and it finally turned over.

I took the suggested 1/2 hour ride to get the battery charged. Tested it when I got home and it measured ~13V. I'll test again in 24 hrs. If it has lost much charge, he advises battery is faulty.

He suggests replacing battery, charger, AND possibly solenoid and/or relay.
People 150 (sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()