Author Topic: Diag help  (Read 958 times)

soundwave123

• View Profile
Diag help
« on: May 12, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
I hope its okay but I want to vent a bit and maybe my story will help others prior to making the same mistakes I made. First, don't buy a used bike with expired tags on someones word that it has been non-operated. Check at the DMV prior to purchase. ($400 lesson)

The Super 8 had 40 miles on it last week when I purchased it, the oil & gas was not drained and it sat for 2 years. When I went to pick it up the guy siphoned the gas and oil out and replaced with synthetic and premium gas. I took it on the road and it ran fine until it lost the ability to go. It didn't quite die, but the rpms seemed to drop and when I turned the handle to go faster it made a pudder sound an couldn't accelerate or even maintain speed. Once at a stop it died completely.

When I tried to turn it over it would just crank but not turn. I tried the manual crank to turn it over as well. I left it sitting for about 3-5 minutes then tried again and viola it turned over no problems and ran fine. This behavior has been occurring now daily on my 10 mile commute 2-3 times. The odd thing to me is the scooter really is running better every day in my eyes but this problem is not going away.

I really hope you all can guide a noob like myself on what I can do. I'm willing to get my hands dirty and I have access to many many tools (mechanic in the family).

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Diag help
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »

ronigj

• View Profile
    • Super 8 Philippines Motorcycle, Club Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 05:02:11 PM »
Clean carb and check the gas tank

Everything will be all right

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
Exactly what the other guys recommended. Clean that carb.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:04:05 PM »
Absolutely, clean the carb and flush the tank. Also check the fuel lines and replace them if you have to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
Most varnish and build-up created from sitting for long periods may be flushed through the drain in the bottom of the carburetor bowl using clean, fresh gas.
Unless rust has formed inside the tank.
A succession of disposable fuel filters, or one that is cleanable is probably the easiest fix to remove debris.
It is better to Not fill the tank for a while, until you have made a whole bunch of short runs adding fresh gas each time.
( ten- fifteen miles or so, whatever works )

A fuel conditioner would be helpful to remove varnish.

You did not say which state dmv is particularly abusive.
Best thing to do is object at the time they demand some high price for their value-less services.

The art of taxation may be compared to plucking feathers from a goose when you want a feather pillow.
You want to do it with the least amount of hissing, squawking, and snapping.
Complain to a supervisor at the dmv. Tell them the scooter is Not worth this much !
They function from standard value tables and what you tell them regarding the sale.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()