Author Topic: Extremely minor car collision  (Read 1097 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Extremely minor car collision
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:58:20 PM »
I've had my first extremely minor collision with a car today.
As I was approaching a T intersection, another car did a sloppy sort of turn towards me, into my lane. I pull over to the side as much as  I can, expecting him to go into his own lane any second. But he's in no hurry to.

Strangely, many of the details of what happened escape me. I remember not being sure if he would clear me or not, until  he hit my mirror (is what I think happened). Somehow I drove into the curb. Some time later it occurred that I have no idea whatsoever if the bike fell over, or if I was just worried it would.

No scratches on the bike that are clearly from hitting anything that i can tell though, except for some tiny black marks on the mirror. In fact, the only clear sign that anything happened is the mirror was a tiny bit out of adjustment. I came out uninjured as well. So all in all a pretty good collision.

And so ends my non-story.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Extremely minor car collision
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:53 PM »
Also, I just now realized that I had a horn that whole time. Since I never use it normally, I always forget about it when it'd be useful. So it never does me much good.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Minor, my big backside! The outcome is great! So glad you are just a bit hazy on the details and nothing worse! Now, the question: What would you do if you had to do it over? What could you have done differently? Then the biggie: What can we do to avoid such an occurrence? Hey, I realize these are tall questions but any answers could help all. This is kinda one of those aviation approaches but those seem to work.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
Glad you came out OK! I know you didn't use your horn, but you must have done something right! Good job sir.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »
Glad to hear that you only came out of this dazed and confused. That's the way most of us would prefer to have it. I think Karl mentioned something worthy of further query as riding bikes is a constant learning process. Whenever I have a close call I try to think of what I should have done differently. Was I riding too fast and agressive, not aware of my surroundings etc. Most motorcycle/scooter accidents are the result of rider error. Not inferring that yours was as you'll have to assess that yourself. Again, really great to hear you're ok.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:58:17 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:31:43 AM »
Very glad you and your scooter got thru that one as well as you did. That's the way it happens, something comes from out of nowhere and there's little or time to react Then later comes the coulda, woulda, shoulda. Glad you're ok. We all need to take safety to the extreme...

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:28:30 AM »
A non-story worthy of bonus points !
no injuries, no damage, walk away...
a Great landing!
redk

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »
I'm definitely very glad that things turned out so well. It really seems like something bad should have happened.

As far as how to avoid this, that's a bit tricky. Cars cut corners all the time, so I was already making allowances for that by staying back.

This was different though. It didn't actually come out of nowhere with no time to react exactly, but by the time it was obvious that he wasn't your average corner cutter I was wedged to the side with no real options. Using a distance measuring tool on a map, I'm estimating that he'd been in my lane for around 40 feet before he finally hit me. At that course, it would have been 200 feet by the time he was solidly in his own lane.

Remembering I had a horn I think would have helped the most. If I had recognized that extreme sort of corner cutting sooner, I could have pulled to the side and stopped sooner.

Of course, there was a lot of room on the other side of the road, but I think trying to turn into it would have been more dangerous as a general rule.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:54:45 PM by hypophthalmus »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
The WOLO horn on the DT has awakened numerous dazed cage pilots in this area! You are right not to "cross the T" in collision avoidance. The key is anticipating extremis and taking action.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:18:50 AM »
... It didn't actually come out of nowhere with no time to react exactly, but by the time it was obvious that he wasn't your average corner cutter I was wedged to the side with no real options... Remembering I had a horn I think would have helped the most.
I can relate to your situation and reactions. A drunk driver turned in front of my lane, but then just kept turning and I ended up hitting him head on. I remembered I had a horn, but my hand were in a deadlock on the brakes, so I didn't have time to honk - I made a choice between brakes and horn in a fraction of a second. Don't feel bad about not going to the horn - I doubt you would have had the time; you were too busy just dealing with the situation as it unfolded.

I'm very glad that your situation turned out so relatively well. It could have been much worse.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
glv55,

None one of the nice church ladies who felt the need to pass through my space and time had the courtesy to be under the influence.

They had bleacher-seat visibility with the sun at their back in perfect WX.

All the drivers that have tried to kill me were licensed by the state to operate a vehicle.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()