Author Topic: Like 200 Drive Belt Replacement Video/Tutorial?  (Read 1758 times)

ScooterLar

• View Profile
Like 200 Drive Belt Replacement Video/Tutorial?
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
Is there a good video or tutorial on this service procedure? The Kymco Like 200 service manual isn't the greatest on this subject. Also, what plastic body bits have to be removed? Any special tools involved like flywheel pullers?

Thanks for your help!
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Like 200 Drive Belt Replacement Video/Tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
Only one panel has to be removed, but other fasteners need to be removed to accomplish removing the belt/CVT cover. My DIY shows the fasteners removed and tools used.
Try these two videos. The first shows removing lower side panel, and uncovering a fastener behind air cleaner.
Second video is a fellow doing a belt change on a 125cc LIKE in Asia.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11101.msg112294#msg112294

My DIY with photos.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11373.msg118262#msg118262

I'll post this reply now and then think about other stuff you might need to know.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:03:47 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
Edit;
If you have never had the CVT/Belt cover off --- most of them are righteously s t u c k onto the scooter.
Make certain that you have found & removed all 8 of the 8mm hex head screws holding on the cover.
Instructions say to use the 2 pry points to remove the cover, and/or to tap around with a rubber mallet.
Neither worked for me....I finally was able to wedge a thin metal spatula into the seam of the cover and slowly work it loose. Take care not to damage the mating surfaces - but this will damage the gasket, so replace.
Once I got the dumb cover off....it was all down hill from there! I lubed the cover edge lightly so next time it just popped off!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
Thanks for the videos and step by step tutorial. After watching the videos and reading everything, I'm pretty sure I can handle it. I ordered the variator tool off ebay, and I have all the other necessary tools to do this job. I'm gonna go ahead and order the parts and give it a go. If I screw it up, I can always take it to the dealer. Thanks again!
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
The easiest, quickest and savest way for me to pry off the belt cover for the first time, was to take a long screwdriver or rod or thin pipe or some other long and thin tool (pry bar tool) and tap it against the lower prypoint through the rear wheel from the right side (the muffler´s side) with a hammer gently. Just so much that the gasket broke loose a bit. Then also pryed off a little bit at the upper prypoint. Once the gasket broke it was a homerun.
You probably might need a new gasket. I greased the new gasket with high temp grease lightly afterwards and never had any issues installing or removing the beltcase-cover at later inspections. It´s sort of a paper gasket only.... and Kymco glues it in there for the first time, I guess for warranty control reasons.

When reinstalling the belt, make sure that the belt sits loose between those variator driven pulleys so that you can torque the outer pulley to the correct torque specs onto the crankshaft. This is very important and must be done correctly. Otherwise you might end up with a total disaster if that pulley came loose afterwards.
What is the correct torque spec? Well, another mystery from Kymco here. I researched, asked mechanics and got values ranging from 50NM up to 93NM. I found 50NM a bit on the low side and 93NM a bit on the high side and so I took the average 70NM (dry - not oiled - no Loctite) and so far it has kept all together for at least two times now.

Belts do also have a rotation direction. Be aware of that, while you intall it. You should be able to read the letters and numbers on the belt normally from left to right and not upside down while standing in front to that open beltcase.

There is also lots of good but also some wrong and bad info material out there in the internet.

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:38:56 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
Thanks for the videos and step by step tutorial. After watching the videos and reading everything, I'm pretty sure I can handle it. I ordered the variator tool off ebay, and I have all the other necessary tools to do this job. I'm gonna go ahead and order the parts and give it a go. If I screw it up, I can always take it to the dealer. Thanks again!
If not mentioned already.....leave cover off and run scooter for 10 - 20 seconds slow and med rpm's after belt is installed.
Remove key and then check the two nuts again for tightness, esp. the front one. Check belt is seated properly....front nut will be loose if belt wasn't seated properly. If all looks good and snug, button it up.

Tapping  off the cover from opposite side using the pry tabs is a good tip from Robo. Wish I'd thought of that!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 10:48:08 AM »
Tapping  off the cover from opposite side using the pry tabs is a good tip from Robo. Wish I'd thought of that!
Stig

That tip I got from a Kymco mechanic.  :) ;) Otherwise I would not have thought of that option either.
But it´s really the easiest, savest and quickest way to do it.  8)
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()