Author Topic: higher speed?  (Read 2352 times)

mlsmith2924

• View Profile
higher speed?
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:15:11 AM »
so I just got my super 8 50x 2016 derestricted (main jet, smooth boss, manifold washer removed) and I can only hit 35 on a flat.  Am I missing something here? the mechanic said he was surprised it wasn't hitting 40. Any recommendations for air filters and exhaust?
2016 Super 8 50X
washer in intake manifold removed, CDI wire cut, re-jetted, smooth variator boss

mlsmith2924

• View Profile
Re: higher speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
Also I asked about the cdi, and he said if it runs at 12000 rpm for too long it can damage the engine. If I cut the wire in the stock cdi, is it completely unlimited rpms or An increase?
My bikes a 4 stroke and has an 8 pin cdi
2016 Super 8 50X
washer in intake manifold removed, CDI wire cut, re-jetted, smooth variator boss

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
Following this.

Mine came with smooth boss and larger jet.  I replaced the boss and unhooked the violet wire and currently get 35 mph.  I found that once I replaced the boss though that I issues with accelerating  at the top end.  I am looking into getting the jet upgraded. 

2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

mlsmith2924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:14:05 PM »
keep me posted man, i'm curious to see the long term results. I can find out what size jet the mechanic installed as well if you'd like
2016 Super 8 50X

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
I got the jet installed today.  Went from a 75 to an 82.  Better ability to hold the top end now and getting there a little faster. 
I did manage to hit 40mph downhill though after. 
So the list of what I have done:
1. Removed violet wire form harness to CDI - close 32-33 mph on flats
2. Change boss - got to 36 mph on downhill still 32-33 mph on flats but very boggy
3. Changed Jet to an 82 - solid 32-33 mph on flats got to 40mph downhill engine was peppy again.

The guy who did the jet for me told me I needed to change the exhaust and up the jet to a 92 to get the most out of it.

Was there a washer in the Intake Manifold?  The guy I was dealing with today didn't seem to think so.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

Tseg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:18:21 AM »
Following this.

Mine came with smooth boss and larger jet.  I replaced the boss and unhooked the violet wire and currently get 35 mph.  I found that once I replaced the boss though that I issues with accelerating  at the top end.  I am looking into getting the jet upgraded.

I assume by "came with smooth boss..." that your shop already upgraded it?  The Super 8 does not come with a smooth boss... it has a wide ring at one end.  If it was already smooth why would you replace it?

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 02:59:20 AM »
TSEG I did not have to buy one as there was one in the seat compartment already with a larger jet in a ziploc bag from Kymco.
I had to install the boss myself it all.  Was surprised that the dealership had not done it already but they wanted to charge me for it.

Live and learn.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Usually 4 strokes don't have exhaust restrictions and the main restriction is usually the CDI and Boss. Upjetting does help a bit maybe especially when modifying the air intake volume.

Also, possibly some dealers don't want to sell you the bike fully derestricted as it can make the bike illegal. For instance here in Connecticut the law is 2 BHP and 49cc. A fully derestricted 49cc will be more like be 5-6 BHP.

2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

mlsmith2924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 01:48:54 AM »
I got the jet installed today.  Went from a 75 to an 82.  Better ability to hold the top end now and getting there a little faster. 
I did manage to hit 40mph downhill though after. 
So the list of what I have done:
1. Removed violet wire form harness to CDI - close 32-33 mph on flats
2. Change boss - got to 36 mph on downhill still 32-33 mph on flats but very boggy
3. Changed Jet to an 82 - solid 32-33 mph on flats got to 40mph downhill engine was peppy again.

The guy who did the jet for me told me I needed to change the exhaust and up the jet to a 92 to get the most out of it.

Was there a washer in the Intake Manifold?  The guy I was dealing with today didn't seem to think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AATbMHQsau4
heres the link for the washer on the intake manifold
2016 Super 8 50X

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:09:35 AM »
It's a violation of some State, and also Federal regulations to modify things on a new motorcycle/scooter that affect emissions in any way.
Subject to all sorts of licensing schemes, it's probably not the wisest thing for a dealership to mess with them, when selling new models.
Once they become a used vehicle there's probably little to no risk.

It can be tedious messing with the jets, but that is the only way to assure best performance from any small engine.
redk

Tseg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
TSEG I did not have to buy one as there was one in the seat compartment already with a larger jet in a ziploc bag from Kymco.
I had to install the boss myself it all.  Was surprised that the dealership had not done it already but they wanted to charge me for it.

Live and learn.

Got it, now understood.   Relative to your pulling the violet/purple wire... there are 2.  Which one did you pull?  The one on the left or right?

Edit:  Did some searching and identified pulling either would work... did it.  My son just went around the block and said he got to 31 mph and still had not wound it up all the way.... previously he could only max out at 28 mph, do definitely improvement.

Only concern... I saw 1 post somewhere that there is a theory derestricing CDI without desrestricting Boss can cause long term damage... and derestricting Boss without putting in #82 jet can cause long term damage.   Anybody with thoughts about CDI only derestriction and long term damage?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:45:08 PM by Tseg »

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 03:37:17 AM »
Where I am from the restriction is speed.  Cannot go past 43.5 mph (converts to 70kph in Canada).

I did the wire first Tseg and then did the others.  I had done the boss first but it just bogged down and couldn't get and real speed without the extra fuel.  Had a garage install the jet and tune the carb.  Works well once it warms up now. 

I am looking at Sport/High Speed variator kit with the upgraded torque spring and heavier rollers.  I will look into the washer if this is the case I will up the jet to a 90 or 92 to make up for the extra air.  The only other thing I can think of at this point is actually changing the exhaust like Roytheroach mentioned.

So far 36 mph (58kph) a flat and 41.5mph (67) on a good downhill.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »
So I have purchased a Polini High Speed Variator and Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust.  mlsmith2924 I will let you know how this goes. 
Tseg I think the Variator should clear the rev issue when you disconnect the Purple wire.

I will also look at a bigger jet as well to match the exhaust. 
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
Also I asked about the cdi, and he said if it runs at 12000 rpm for too long it can damage the engine. If I cut the wire in the stock cdi, is it completely unlimited rpms or An increase?
My bikes a 4 stroke and has an 8 pin cdi

Cutting that wire disables a rev limiter feedback circuit.
This brings You the opportunity to make the decision if you Must have more rpm for the occasion.

Yes. 12k rpm is racing rpm and will most likely wear out your motor in the time of a single race.

Simply because you Can does not necessarily mean you should.
redk

If you're not first, you're last." - Ricky Bobby, Talladega Nights

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 01:05:11 AM »
So variator in and new Exhaust on.  Better pick up and better on hills.  Won't know about top end till I get a get a good flat then and a proper ride on it. 

Just need to get upjetted and tuned properly.  Will pay for that part though.  I don't play with carburetors.

Will give the update after I do that.

Cheers
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()