Author Topic: 2012 GT 200i clutch disengaging too late  (Read 965 times)

blaudp79

• View Profile
2012 GT 200i clutch disengaging too late
« on: May 04, 2017, 04:18:02 AM »
Hi guys,

I've just purchased a GT 200i with 2k miles on it. I've noticed that I have a pretty strong engine brake when I release the throttle all the way until the bike comes to a complete stop. The engine will not stall however (the clutch seems to disengage around ~2 mph speed, which is odd. I can't maintain low speeds without making the bike jump back and forth (accelerate-engine brake-accelerate-engine brake). Basically there is no free rolling.
Is this normal with these bikes or I should be looking for faulty parts at the clutch (I suspect s broken clutch spring)or drive pulleys?

blaudp79

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 GT 200i clutch disengaging too late
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
So far with an Agility 50, Yager 200i, People GT300i and two DT300i's they all declutched at 10 to 15 mph. 2 mph sounds a little slow. Suspect either clutch springs weak or clutch shoe pivots binding or both. Would suspect binding if it took a whole handful of throttle to get it going and weak springs if it took barely any throttle to engage. Interpreting your description binding pivots is my final answer! Now take it apart and see what really is going on!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
I would try and blow out the clutch dust in you got a air compressor

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
I suspect you are not use to a CVT transmission and how it works. The engine braking is normal and desirable. Like Karl said, the CVT should disengange around 10 to 15 MPH. Most likely your problem can be solved by taking the clutch bell off and deglazing the clutch pads and blowing the dust out like the other poster stated. Best of luck to ya.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

blaudp79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »
Hi all,

The more I ride this bike the more I think that probably you guys are right. I'm used to riding a 50cc minarelli. There was almost no engine brake with that. This one is just too much. I've checked again the speedometer to see at what speed it pulls back and it seems to pull back around 10-15 kmph according to the speedometer. However it feels much lower speed than that as the speedometer reading is very delayed. I'm sure the bike is rolling less than 5 kmph at that point as I almost loose my balance when it happens.
I think I just have to get used to this.
I know the cvt system as I have worked on a couple of them, but they were all 50cc ones.
I've pulled off the plastic cover and the cast housing of the cvt drive. The outer side of the driven pulley moves nicely back and forth against the spring, so it is not the grease that sometimes get contaminated or dries out for sure. In order to know more, I need to pull both pulleys so I've ordered a universal flywheel tool.
Regardless, I now really believe that all I feel is the fact that this engine is much larger than the ones I'm used to and that's all...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()