Author Topic: Will cutting the CDI work on the new (Agility based) Super 8 models?  (Read 6155 times)

Tseg

• View Profile
There are videos about derestricting an Agility CDI by sawing into a corner until cutting through a copper wire... but the videos out there are a few years old.  Since the 2015 and newer US Super 8's are based on the Agility platform is the derestriction process the same?  Right now we can get about 28 mph on the scooter (has ~150 miles on it) and really would like to get it to 35 mph as that is the top speed limit in our town.  According to some of these videos simply sawing, thus derestricting, the CDI alone will drive a 5-10 mph bump.  Is this true?  Is this the right process?  If it works is there any potential downside to scooter durability/longevity?  Since the warranty is still 1 1/2 years if I go this route might it make sense to buy a Kymco CDI and try it on that in the event it doesn't work or the scooter ever needs warranty work I can swap it for the original?

Anyone else actually done this with success?  What was the result?

I'm averse to actually swapping out mechanical parts because I'm comfortable the Kymco engineers actually new what they were doing optimizing performance and durability with the mechanical parts.  I'm not obsessed with the ultimate 50cc top speed... just looking for about 7mph more to keep up with traffic.  Is this the solution?

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
I just bought one recently and I removed one of the purple wired and was able to get and extra 4 mph out of it. I now get 35mph.  I have to change out the boss next.  They supplied me with a boss and 82 jet.  So I am hoping to be around 42mph after changing the boss.  I do not want to touch the jet if I don't have to. 

Any luck with yours?
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

Tseg

• View Profile
I've not touched it yet... was looking at a unrestricted boss as well.  There are so many conflicting reports about derestricting the Agility/new US Super 8 CDI... pulling pink wire, cutting box... reports it does nothing, reports it does something.  I do think the #82 jet and deristriced boss and removing the washer from the air intake are probably all good moves.  I read a report pulling the pink wire on the new scooter ruined the CDI... but you reference a purple wire... just too many variable reports.  What year/model is your scoot? 

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
2015 Kymco Super 8 50R

All I did was remove the purple wire from the harness clip so I could clip in later when I got a proper CDI box.

No sawing involved.

I will take a picture tomorrow for you.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

Chris0381

• View Profile
I wouldn't cut the CDI unless I had a spare in case things go wrong. You may be able to buy a de-restricted CDI. But as mentioned, if you can just disconnect a wire, do that as it can easily be reconnected.

Putting in a smooth boss is an important fist step so you can get full belt travel on the pulley otherwise other derestrictions would be useless.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:14:32 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Redk

• View Profile
I would surely have a spare cdi box on hand before sawing away at one !
MOF, I would verify it, then make potential changes to the older one.
redk

Tseg

• View Profile
2015 Kymco Super 8 50R

All I did was remove the purple wire from the harness clip so I could clip in later when I got a proper CDI box.

No sawing involved.

I will take a picture tomorrow for you.

So there are 2 purple wires going into my CDI.  Which one did you pull?  The one on the left or right?

Edit:  Did some searching and identified pulling either would work... did it.  My son just went around the block and said he got to 31 mph and still had not wound it up all the way.... previously he could only max out at 28 mph, do definitely improvement.

Only concern... I saw 1 post somewhere that there is a theory derestricing CDI without desrestricting Boss can cause long term damage... and derestricting Boss without putting in #82 jet can cause long term damage.   Anybody with thoughts about CDI only derestriction and long term damage?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:45:49 PM by Tseg »

Tseg

• View Profile
After I pulled the CDI purple wire I got nervous I probably did a bad thing... after all, increased revs are probably not good for an engine.  I've been doing a lot of forum searching to try to get answers and I think here are some conclusions I've come to: 
  • With a derestricted CDI (now mine is) I don't want to max my throttle while the bike is on the center stand
  • 50cc scooters that have been reported on forums as having blown up while riding tend to have been pushing the limit (over 55 mph) driving down steep hills
  • As long as the scooter wheels are on the ground and one is not maxing out out down hill the engine probably cannot generate the revs to damage the engine... may ultimately shorten life (20K miles vs. 30K miles?)
  • Probably does not hurt to put a good synthetic engine oil in the scooter that can better handle high temperatures

Considering I live in a town without hills and no roads long enough to max the scooter more than 3-5 minutes and the CDI only restriction maxes ~ 35 mph I'm comfortable  my scooter will last many years.

In summary, with a derestricted CDI, the user can blow up the engine if they intentionally try, but used under normal wear and tear the impact to long term engine durability is likely limited.  Anyone have different thought here?

Redk

• View Profile
I would agree with you, for the most part.
redk

Tseg

• View Profile
Re: Will cutting the CDI work on the new (Agility based) Super 8 models?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 11:55:52 PM »
Call me fickle, but I just ordered a smooth variator boss from Scooter Assassins.  Not sure how long it will take to ship from Taiwan.  I'm thinking I'll get better fuel economy at ~ 35mph and ultimately am just curious, I guess.  I'll let you know how it turns out after it arrives in a few weeks.

Tseg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 10:58:08 PM »
Uh oh.  I thought I was all set to upgrade to a smooth variator boss.  I got my breaker bar with 17mm socket and variator lock.

Unfortunately, when I pulled of the cover I see my 2015 Super 8 50R has a plastic fan with no holes to use with the tool I bought.

I really don't want to use an impact wrench, particularly to put the variator bolt back on.  Do I need to get one of those little metal pieces with the teeth that screws into the bolt holes to keep this variator from spinning?  Anyone have a link to one?  Any other tool for this type of fan to lock it?

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 11:50:36 PM »
I used the impact and loctite when I put mine back on and have not had any issues.  Been about a month now.  I am looking at changing the rollers to lighter ones as recommended for the exhaust I just put on.  Helps it get to the sweet spot for the proper RPM range.  Will let you know when my parts show up how it looks when I take off the cover.
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »

I really don't want to use an impact wrench, particularly to put the variator bolt back on.  Do I need to get one of those little metal pieces with the teeth that screws into the bolt holes to keep this variator from spinning?  Anyone have a link to one?  Any other tool for this type of fan to lock it?

I use the metal fixture with teeth on it. It works a charm. I got it from a member Josh here I think.

I had 2 put 2 thickish washers as shims though so it engages the teeth better.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Tseg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
I use the metal fixture with teeth on it. It works a charm. I got it from a member Josh here I think.

I had 2 put 2 thickish washers as shims though so it engages the teeth better.

Thanks.  We'll give it a shot when it arrives.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()