Author Topic: Blown Fuse 2015 Like 200i  (Read 1446 times)

darmstadtrunner

• View Profile
Blown Fuse 2015 Like 200i
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
One 15 Amp fuse (not red one) blows in battery compartment after starting.  Just happened recently.  Bike was on back of RV in some rain, but started fine twice when I took it off carrier for a short 7 mile ride, then nothing.

Redk

• View Profile
Re: Blown Fuse 2015 Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
Aargh !  Rain.  Four letter word !

I have had the end result of riding in the rain wipe out one of the totally electronically controlled motorcycles.
Years back...  corrosion developed on almost all the connectors leaving intermittent problems.
It took all the fun out of riding that bike.
Sold it at a loss.
And I did forewarn the buyer what should be done to enhance the reliability.
It was a really nice looking Suzuki 550cc V Twin cafe racer styled bike.

Hope you get yours dried out well and the problem is resolved.
redk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:53:09 PM »
Red, dielectric grease coulda fixed that bike! Great preventive before they get corroded! Darm, the fuse could be a lot of stuff. Could be unrelated to the rain.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:01:07 PM »
Yes, CB, there was remnants of what the factory had used in there...  it actually hardened ! 

Many hours on a teardown, cleaning the old stuff out, then applying a decent domestic product probably would have been a lasting repair.

Back then, I just did not have the time to mess with things...  Way too busy working.
But that was a gud thing !
redk

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Carrying a bike on the back of a RV in the rain for hours? in a continous heavy? water spray can cause electrical issues and shorts.
It´s like taking the bike to a steam bath. Probably not a good idea either.

To prevent those things, you might cover the bike for transportation in rain a bit. And additionally to that you should grease all electrical connectors with saltwaterresistant  marine grease (the white one - not the black one for bearings). And use it generously inside and outside of the connectors.
Underneath the handle bar cover, underneath the front cover, underneath the seat bucket, just everywhere...  :) ;)

But the short can have other causes too. Check the routing of the wires, hoses and harnesses and check for damaged insulations.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:31:41 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

darmstadtrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Thanks everyone.  If I can just get a manual to show how to take it apart, I'll check all connections.  Ironically, I had a cover, but wasn't expecting rain in the desert SW and I wasn't sure how it would travel with it.  One post on another source blamed the headlight.  Guess I'll try looking for fuse box and disconnect the headlight first and go from there.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »
Covers on scooters on the back of RV's just flap and eat the paint.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
Service Manuals:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5M0Qc-kvtYuWlJSSElyX0pfV2s/edit
http://www.cyclepedia.com/online-manuals/kymco-atv-scooter-online-repair-manuals/

Be careful on removing the handle bar covers and take your time. There are some hidden "nose clamps" which hold these two parts together. You will need a thin plastic card to "unlock" them.

And do also read a bit in this forum. I´m sure almost all of your questions have already been answered.  ;)

circuit diagram:
http://kymco.it/media/schede/allegati/Like%20200i/impianto.pdf

@Karl
Yes, correct. If done carelessly it will probably cause more harm than good.  ;D
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()