Author Topic: Bike did a kind of burp almost stall??  (Read 831 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Bike did a kind of burp almost stall??
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
Hey friends, just came back from a nice long ride to the country side.  While I was about 10 minutes into my ride going around 105km It did an almost stall.  Like it shorted on getting gas, but kept going.  It was fine for the rest of the ride. I wonder what this may have been?

Kat :)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Bike did a kind of burp almost stall??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
Dunno. But obviously it was better out than in.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »
Ha Ha yes :D

Dunno. But obviously it was better out than in.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Sounds like one of those Gremlins that are hard to diagnose. If it doesn't happen often, I wouldn't worry too much. That being said a couple of likely culprits is a fuel cap that isn't venting in/out properly or a little trash in the fuel filter. If the fuel in your tank is cooler than the ambient air, it can create a vacuum that should be relieved by the fuel cap. If it the problem persists, try loosening the fuel cap some and taking it for a spin. If your scoot has a fuel filter, I would just replace it at the recommended interval.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
Nireen's burping scooter reminded me of Volkswagen's recent troubles with 'defeat' devices used during the emissions tests of it's US vehicles.

If your stuggling with a what a defeat device is, put simply it's a piece of software that dupes the government test rig into thinking the car is 'greener' than it actually is - but only under strict test conditions. The rest of the time, it belches out diesel particulates like there's no tomorrow.

Put even more simply, it's like exactly like holding in your farts on a first date.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:18:13 PM by Snorvey »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
The DT300i as all modern day scoots have the gas tank vented thru the vapor cannister. This entailsna vacuum operated valve which sticks closed unpredictably. There is no vent in the gas cap. Like Mr. Paul suggested pop the gas cap open the next time your bike falters. I will BET the problem goes away! I used to harp about initialize when this occured but have changed my tune. I have since vented the gas cap and all those gremlins of faltering and crazy idle have gone away.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
Ah you all are so wonderful Thanks!  Yeah it has not done it since.  I put some sea foam into the gas tank yesterday.  It was a very chilly morning and it was my first run on the highway in the cold like this. 

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
I've run into a similar, but different problem. At random times my scooter has a problem of turning over when started. I press the starter, I hear the engine fire up, then it stalls. The solution is to rev it more gas which fires the engine completely. The problem is I need to be in a place where I can jackrabbit out of my parking position, or try to hold in the brake and rev the engine at the sometime.

Oddly, it seems to be related to temperature. I've notice that when it's warmer, or slightly humid the problem occurs more often, but not when it's cooler. It could be as Mr. Paul said about the temperature difference between the gas and the air.

Hope things work out, Nireen.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
Using ethanol blended gas in Canada?
If not, might have been a bit of water going down the fuel line hitting the combustion chamber.
Water, except in NYC harbor, doesn't burn well.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
Yeah I feel it maybe due to it being quite cold yesterday and yeah also maybe a bit of moisture.  I put a half can of sea foam in the gas yesterday :)

I've run into a similar, but different problem. At random times my scooter has a problem of turning over when started. I press the starter, I hear the engine fire up, then it stalls. The solution is to rev it more gas which fires the engine completely. The problem is I need to be in a place where I can jackrabbit out of my parking position, or try to hold in the brake and rev the engine at the sometime.

Oddly, it seems to be related to temperature. I've notice that when it's warmer, or slightly humid the problem occurs more often, but not when it's cooler. It could be as Mr. Paul said about the temperature difference between the gas and the air.

Hope things work out, Nireen.

- Wolf

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 06:10:14 PM »
I have noticed the exact same problem you described snorvey. When I put in the iridium plug it seemed to help. It's a little difficult to rev the engine if the rear wheel isn't off the ground because you're going some place. I think I'm going to do a bit of "preventive" maintenance and go ahead and vent the fuel cap. cheers

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 07:02:50 PM »
Oh boy all this bike talk what do you mean by venting the fuel cap.  Give it to me in grade 4 level LOL

I have noticed the exact same problem you described snorvey. When I put in the iridium plug it seemed to help. It's a little difficult to rev the engine if the rear wheel isn't off the ground because you're going some place. I think I'm going to do a bit of "preventive" maintenance and go ahead and vent the fuel cap. cheers

Mac

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
Here is how to vent gas cap: did not show here. See my re-post in Tech & How to. Sorry. But hey! I got pictures in that one!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 08:07:38 PM »
where is this post?

Here is how to vent gas cap: did not show here. See my re-post in Tech & How to. Sorry. But hey! I got pictures in that one!

Karl

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
Second post in Technical and How to section. Subject is Pressurized fuel tank-DT300i started by CROSSBOLT. Top of page 2.

Karl
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:58:39 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()