Author Topic: 1500 mile Ozarks Ride Trip  (Read 2135 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 1500 mile Ozarks Ride Trip
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
Thanks cor sharing  this all with us Dan.
Still think that HONDA is my fav. big scooter.
Could you discuss 2 or 3 reasons why not to own one?....from your, or SW forums, experience? ....service wise, reliability  wise?
Try to talk me out of desiring this scooter. Seriously.
For example: I would say this about my LIKE200i...."Great scooter for urban riding. Seat is very uncomfortable for taller riders. Do not expect it to cruise at more than 45mph."
 Again, great photos!
Stig
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:21:59 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »
Stig, how are you supposed to pile groceries by your feet on that Honda?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
Stig, how are you supposed to pile groceries by your feet on that Honda?
Grocery items around my feet are an unsafe distraction in urban riding.....maybe less so if I lived in the desert.
Also, I'm not inclined to do a casual shopping outing on a 500lb scooter. But that's just me.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »
I know now that I was a dang fool to ever let last Wing go. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy riding my DT300, but the Wing is the ultimate scoot. Mine had a Corbin seat, European lower deflectors, air horns, Red light tripper, back off tail light, Givi two piece adjustable windshield and radio and cup holder. It's the one I rode to N.C and spent a week riding the mountains and the Dragon's tail on. Absolutely flawless. Will cruise at 70 all day long. We rode 3 days in the rain. Excellent weather protection and the diablos hugged those wet mountain roads like it was on a rail. That was my second Wing and I'd buy another on today if I could afford one. Now I'm interested in hearing how Dan rates the Honda Silver Wing.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
I'm not inclined to do a casual shopping outing on a 500lb scooter. But that's just me.

500 lbs, lol. Now the MyRoad weighs 633 lbs, the B650 at 524 lbs, and the Atlantic 440 lbs.

Honda Forza Curb Weight
422 Pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel - ready to ride)
Read more at http://powersports.honda.com/2016/forza/specifications.aspx#tuvhwHoG5KSaiTkH.99
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2017, 10:44:34 PM »
Thanks cor sharing  this all with us Dan.
Still think that HONDA is my fav. big scooter.
Could you discuss 2 or 3 reasons why not to own one?....from your, or SW forums, experience? ....service wise, reliability  wise?
Try to talk me out of desiring this scooter. Seriously.
For example: I would say this about my LIKE200i...."Great scooter for urban riding. Seat is very uncomfortable for taller riders. Do not expect it to cruise at more than 45mph."
 Again, great photos!
Stig

Hate to disappoint you Tom but I can't think of a single reason to not get a SW except for the weight for you. In several of your posts you've referred to your B400 as heavy and of course the SW is heavier. My SW weighs a tad over 500 pounds. To me though, having owned the heavier B650 and a few Goldwings, my SW feels light to me and is no problem for urban commuting and shopping. Weight is relative. The SW has a very low COG and does well at low speed manuvering in parking lots and driveways. The seat is low and much lower than my Kymco which makes flatfootng it very easy.

As for reliability, this has been my most reliable bike I've ever owned and despite the fact that it's 14 years old and has about 45k I wouldn't hesitate riding it coast to coast. The engine is bulletproof and I know of one gentleman who rode his to Alaska every year from Florida for many years, even with 150k on it.

Mine has an aftermarket Russell Day Long seat which is most comfortable and on this recent ride to Arkansas, never got uncomfortable for my 250 mile ride up and back. Good weather protection for riding in rain too. I also have an aftermarket Givi windshield which I love. The 46 liter Givi trunk is also spacious and holds allot of stuff and coupled with a huge underseat storage puts this up with Goldwings for onboard storage. For two up riding, Deb said the SW is more comfortable than our previous B650. The B650 is wider and therefore spread her hips more and was uncomfortable to her.

Power wise the bike is awesome and very sporty. It feels like a rocket ship to me. Nope can't think of a single reason to not own one unless it feels too big and heavy to someone. I've owned several Maxiscooters; (2) B650 (1) B400, Honda 250 Reflex and my present Honda SW. The SW by far has become my all time favorite Maxiscooter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:54:30 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 01:25:03 AM »
Had a feeling you were gonna say all them things Dan. Dang it, why did I sell mine??????

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »
Had a feeling you were gonna say all them things Dan. Dang it, why did I sell mine??????

Mac

Mac, sounds like you had a very nice SW and set up just like you like it. Why did you sell it?  I bought mine for 1900.00 a couple of years ago. Got it from a Dallas motorcycle cop. He was at a gun range with his son and his boy picked up someone else's gun and dropped it. Cost 1900.00 to repair it and now you know the rest of the story.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »
I think an SW will be my next ride!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »
Any more kids on that range Dan?...LOL I sold my Ultra Class and my SW after my left hip broke and I had to have a hip replacement on the right. For months I couldn't lift either leg enough to climb stairs. So, in my rush to clear out the stuff that I wasn't gonna use again, I sold both bikes and hung up my helmet for good. or so I thought. Low and behold, 3 months later I was walking and climbing steps again. Soooooooooo, I started looking. Helmet hadn't even got a good coat of dust on it. Then I saw this ad for the 2012 DT300 for $2500.. I had owned a Xciting 250 before and I knew Kymco's were good scoots. This one had less than 3,000 miles on it and the guy said he'd take $2,000 for it and as you said, the rest is history. Very happy with the DT., but I remember how great both of my SW's were. That extra weight on the wing makes for a very smooth ride and the power is very, very strong .Right now I'm building a mini chopper bike and a mini chopper trike. I have not been photographing the build, but I will post pictures when I'm done. I absolutely refuse to grow up. LOL

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 12:45:51 AM »
Hate to disappoint you Tom but I can't think of a single reason to not get a SW except for the weight for you. In several of your posts you've referred to your B400 as heavy and of course the SW is heavier. My SW weighs a tad over 500 pounds. To me though, having owned the heavier B650 and a few Goldwings, my SW feels light to me and is no problem for urban commuting and shopping. Weight is relative. The SW has a very low COG and does well at low speed manuvering in parking lots and driveways. The seat is low and much lower than my Kymco which makes flatfootng it very easy.

As for reliability, this has been my most reliable bike I've ever owned and despite the fact that it's 14 years old and has about 45k I wouldn't hesitate riding it coast to coast. The engine is bulletproof and I know of one gentleman who rode his to Alaska every year from Florida for many years, even with 150k on it.

Mine has an aftermarket Russell Day Long seat which is most comfortable and on this recent ride to Arkansas, never got uncomfortable for my 250 mile ride up and back. Good weather protection for riding in rain too. I also have an aftermarket Givi windshield which I love. The 46 liter Givi trunk is also spacious and holds allot of stuff and coupled with a huge underseat storage puts this up with Goldwings for onboard storage. For two up riding, Deb said the SW is more comfortable than our previous B650. The B650 is wider and therefore spread her hips more and was uncomfortable to her.

Power wise the bike is awesome and very sporty. It feels like a rocket ship to me. Nope can't think of a single reason to not own one unless it feels too big and heavy to someone. I've owned several Maxiscooters; (2) B650 (1) B400, Honda 250 Reflex and my present Honda SW. The SW by far has become my all time favorite Maxiscooter.

Well 'ol Dan,

I was afraid your report would be as such.
Never sat a SW when I was at an impasse with my dealer over my busted LIKE200i.  I did consider a used BV500 decked out with all the Italian fittings. Not many miles.....but BIG compared to the scoots I was looking at.
 I went with a new Forza. It had 3 things going for it: It was red. It was a Honda. It had power enough for safe highway riding.
Dealer finally caved when it became clear I was going to leave the LIK200i in his service bay for as many months as I had warranty (many, many) I was merrily breaking in my new Honda and would pay monthly visits to check on their progress with the USA rep. (Karl's loaner diagnostic tool proved a dying TPS) Kymco rep. made them buy the diag. tool, and I got my new throttle body/TPS combo under warranty.

If there had been a SW to look at within 75 miles, I might have one.....but did find a good price on a left-over 400 Burgman 92 miles away. (he delivered it to me) Sold the Forza....rode the Burg. for 2 yrs and, ...lo.....it's OK, but it's not a Honda.

Turns out I'm a Kymco and a Honda guy. Not a Suzuki guy.
Who knew?

But, you know.....sometimes it is enough (maybe- better) to want something... than to get it.
Always wanted a 912 Porsche...no, not the 911. The 912.....never got it.
And I'm OK with that.

Probably will always long for a SW....doubt I'll ever get one.
But it IS good to know I'm correct in longing for a GREAT scooter!! :)

Thanks for your comments...

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 11:33:11 PM »
Tom, when I sold my Goldwing, Deb and I knew touring was not for her but she still wanted to do day rides. I knew we were headed back to a large Maxiscooter to meet that goal as we had had previous Burgman's (650/400). A friend of mine was selling her 08 Executive for a grand as it had over 100k and had been dropped as the Tupperware was scarred up on one side. I did a little plastic welding on it and got it looking better. About 500 miles after buying it the drive belt broke which is pretty serious for the B650 as the belt is internal in the transmission. Normally the engine has to be pulled to remove the tranny as the frame is in the way. My buddy had recently replaced his own and figured a way to remove the transmission by simply unbolting the engine from the frame and jacking the frame away from the motor with a bottle jack. Anyway cost me about 500 to replace it (parts only) as his labor was free except for a few BBQ sandwiches and some hand tools. A dealer repair would probably run 2-3k. After that the Burgman's spooked me as this was the 2nd replacement of the drive belt on this scooter as the first occurred around 45k. Kept the Burgy for a year and sold it for 3k and found the SW for 1900.00. I am extremely happy with the SW. Did I say extremely??
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:39:23 PM by Scooter Dan »

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 03:58:32 AM »
A friend of mine was selling her 08 Executive for a grand as it had over 100k and had been dropped as the Tupperware was scarred up on one side. I did a little plastic welding on it and got it looking better. About 500 miles after buying it the drive belt broke which is pretty serious for the B650 as the belt is internal in the transmission. Normally the engine has to be pulled to remove the tranny as the frame is in the way. My buddy had recently replaced his own and figured a way to remove the transmission by simply unbolting the engine from the frame and jacking the frame away from the motor with a bottle jack. Anyway cost me about 500 to replace it (parts only) as his labor was free except for a few BBQ sandwiches and some hand tools. A dealer repair would probably run 2-3k. After that the Burgman's spooked me as this was the 2nd replacement of the drive belt on this scooter as the first occurred around 45k. Kept the Burgy for a year and sold it for 3k and found the SW for 1900.00. I am extremely happy with the SW. Did I say extremely??

I see this kind of discussion come up from time to time but how many miles do you have on the Silverwing? How often do you change the belt or rollers? And what do the parts cost? I'm not asking just as a cost per mile comparison to the B650 but also as reference for my MyRoad 700i and Atlantic 500 scoots that also have conventional CVTs in them so I will have to consider how often I will have to do them too. These would be the first conventional CVT equipped scoots since my Honda Helix and I hadn't gotten to the point mileage wise to have changed them before I sold it. I can't even remember how many miles I put on that scoot while I had it.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2017, 12:41:49 PM »
I see this kind of discussion come up from time to time but how many miles do you have on the Silverwing? How often do you change the belt or rollers? And what do the parts cost? I'm not asking just as a cost per mile comparison to the B650 but also as reference for my MyRoad 700i and Atlantic 500 scoots that also have conventional CVTs in them so I will have to consider how often I will have to do them too. These would be the first conventional CVT equipped scoots since my Honda Helix and I hadn't gotten to the point mileage wise to have changed them before I sold it. I can't even remember how many miles I put on that scoot while I had it.
Changed belt and rollers on my SW when I first bought it. Official maintenance schedule calls for 10k inspection/replacement. Many on the SW forum go 25k and some like me replace about 15-20k. Belt is 110.00 and rollers 60 bucks. Easy replacement for the do it yourselfer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2017, 08:09:25 PM »
Changed belt and rollers on my SW when I first bought it. Official maintenance schedule calls for 10k inspection/replacement. Many on the SW forum go 25k and some like me replace about 15-20k. Belt is 110.00 and rollers 60 bucks. Easy replacement for the do it yourselfer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Read too many when the belt quits B. 650 scare stories.......and compare that to the video of a senior changing broken SW belt alongside the highway. With tools and parts from under his seat, whilest buddy filmed the whole thing standing on the berm!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()