Author Topic: SHOCK POSITION? 450 SIDE BY  (Read 3660 times)

GillesR

• View Profile
Re: SHOCK POSITION? 450 SIDE BY
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
My sway bar is hanging on the wall in my shop, gained about 3" and don't notice any difference except it appears to steer a little better.
my 450i or also a Kimco or rebadged to Arctic Cat 500 Prowler does not seem to have a rear bar.

jeromeking

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 07:56:17 PM »
I had the same problem as GillesR - Moved front shocks to outer position no problem.  Moved rear to outer position, and the back wheels no longer sit flat, the bottom of tires is pinched in and top of tires are sticking out.  I have a 2020 Tracker 500s, same as the Kymco 450i, and arctic cat prowler 500.  I do not believe there is any sway bar installed, shocks do not seem to be binding on anything - Any ideas??

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 02:59:33 AM »
It is due to the independent rear suspension, as the machine gets raised the geometry of the rear suspension will cause the rear tires to tip out a little. If you ride on alot of pavement it will wear the tires more.  On dirt it wont make much difference.  Handling is not noticibly different.  Moved my shocks last spring and rode all summer like that with no issues!!  Gained about 1.5 in height but softened the shocks a little to smooth the ride some and ended up with a 1" height gain.

jeromeking

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »
Thanks airshot - Your response is what i guessed, but some of that chatter on the thread about the sway bar being the cause of tire tilt worried me.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »
Sway bar just keeps both rear tires moving up and down in unison, nothing to do with tires tilting in or out.  If racing and high speed cornering then sway bar an advantage, but for serious off camber and rough uneven trail riding no sway bar is better as it allows each rear wheel to move further independently. If your not racing, remove it!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()