Author Topic: UXV 450i Power one hills  (Read 2511 times)

UXVBB

• View Profile
UXV 450i Power one hills
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »
Its been a while since I have been here. In the past I owned a UXV 500 carb model. I am thinking of buying a UXV 450i. My question is, does it loose power on steep hills? My old Kymco would slow down dramatically on hills. Please let me know you experience. Thank you.

k9bitten

• View Profile
Re: UXV 450i Power one hills
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »
It's only a 450, so yes it slows down quite a bit but goes up like a mountain goat. To be expected.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

UXVBB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
Thank you for the reply. Was it ever so low on power you didnt make it up?

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 02:18:34 AM »
     I guess a lot depends on what your definition of a "steep" hill might be...I took my 450i to a place called Bundy Hill in Michigan last summer. It is an old gravel pit with lots of hill climbs in loose gravel and some with loose sand.  Now there were a few hills I would not even try except with a jeep mabey, but those hills I did tackle I had no problem with. I tried some with lots of slick mud running down and made those without issue in 4wd of course.  Did I slow down, of course I did but never had an issue with those I tried!!  That said I have ben riding for well over 20 yrs so I have learned to pick my hill climbs wisely!!

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 11:36:58 PM »
Thank you for the reply. Was it ever so low on power you didnt make it up?

If you are asking about running up a steep sandy hill in high range at a good clip then yes I have been on long enough steep pulls where I stopped and put it in low range because it was just working too hard and I didn't want to smoke the belt out in the trail. In low range with 2 people it will go up anything as long as you have traction. It's actually pretty impressive for a little 450. It's not a RZR or Wildcat. It's not going to run up dunes at 60mph.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:42:54 PM by k9bitten »

UXVBB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:10:41 AM »
Thank you both for your reponses. It was great information. Exactly what i was looking for. I am not into speed just trail riding and tight technical trails. It seems as if this is a good sxs for my needs. I am going to go look again on Saturday. I am currently living in WV around the Hatfield and McCoy trails. I have been there many times with the old Kymco and a rzr.

I think I have read almost every post here. Has anyone got 27s to fit? I saw the one with 26 bighorns. Looks good.

Thanks again!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
     I have read many articles where the 450i will outrun a 500 UXV except for top end speed, most claim in a drag race the 450i pulls away from a 500 up to 35+ mph in fact I remember seeing a video on that. Now 27" tires may be a bit much....can't say for sure but they will change your gearing especially on the hill climbs that you seem worried about. I am moving to 26 when I replace my tires, but 27's I don't know about those...I also like tight technical trails, not a speed demon and the 450i is great for that, just what it is designed for.

k9bitten

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:54:14 PM »
All our riding is tight rocky boulder strewn trails and the kymco is unstoppable and that's with 2 of us in it. You won't be disappointed on that type of terrain. I posted a lot of info about running 26" Bighorn 2.0 last fall when the a member was looking at buying one had a few questions. Lots of info in those posts.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 08:33:51 PM by k9bitten »

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:27:54 AM »
The Kymco UXV 450 works great in tight trails since the width of the machine is a little shorter than most of the other utvs on the market. only downfall is the turning radius kinda sucks. But I haven't ran into that problem too much. I've raced atv's and like to go fast but the Kymco has never been short of power for me, even going up hills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Macman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
450 has major wavos.  You will not be devoid of power for its size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()