Author Topic: SADDLE BAG?  (Read 1300 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
SADDLE BAG?
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:45:13 AM »
I just ordered these bags for my bike.  Love the hi vis!  Kat wants to be seen!
My question is how can I protect the side paint from the bags rubbing?  I don't have a rack and don't even know if there is one for this bike? What are your thoughts on the side bag thing...

https://fortnine.ca/en/nelson-rigg-adventure-dry-saddlebags
Kat :)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: SADDLE BAG?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »
Hello Kat. Maybe something like this would help protect your bike from scratches from those saddle bags. It comes in widths up to 12 inches;

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-48-inches/dp/B004VG88MQ
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:38:17 AM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »
John Wayne always used a Navajo blanket under his saddle bags to protect his horse, Bernice.
So maybe a thick tea towel from that old felon, Martha Stewart?
(Bernice appreciated that he always packed his sox and underwear on the horse side....with C-Rats cans & flashlight on the outside )
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
Hey Paul, the link won't load.

Hello Kat. Maybe something like this would help protect your bike from scratches from those saddle bags. It comes in widths up to 12 inches;

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-48-inches/dp/B004VG88MQ

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
Ha Ha practical and I love it.  I just saw a youtube.   

John Wayne always used a Navajo blanket under his saddle bags to protect his horse, Bernice.
So maybe a thick tea towel from that old felon, Martha Stewart?
(Bernice appreciated that he always packed his sox and underwear on the horse side....with C-Rats cans & flashlight on the outside )
Stig

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Putting sheepskin, blankets, etc. on the bike will only collect dust and create more scratching.

I use regular leather bags and use a steel tie wrap to secure them to the passenger handrails. The side blinkers keep them off the side of the bike... no contact.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
Yes the reflector would help.  Not sure on the other end though? I guess if I have them in the right position they will sit over top of the reflector. Thanks :)

Putting sheepskin, blankets, etc. on the bike will only collect dust and create more scratching.

I use regular leather bags and use a steel tie wrap to secure them to the passenger handrails. The side blinkers keep them off the side of the bike... no contact.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »
Reflector (where it is positioned) keeps majority of bags away from sides/paint. Just position the bag where it works best on those bags. I removed connector flap on bags and secured the zip-off portion where I wanted it, then zipped bags in place.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
About 4 or 5 years ago a out-fit in Germany had a rack for the downtown ,   

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
Thank you bluesin :) Yeah will likely remove those back straps or if I put the clear plastic piece that will do the trick I think. :) Hate to cut anything off just yet

Reflector (where it is positioned) keeps majority of bags away from sides/paint. Just position the bag where it works best on those bags. I removed connector flap on bags and secured the zip-off portion where I wanted it, then zipped bags in place.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
YW! Pictures when you are done !

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
Yes I will do pictures and even a short video :)

YW! Pictures when you are done !

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
Here's a picture of how I mounted soft bags on my DT. Not the best looking set up, perhaps, but its very functional. . Can't see much in these pictures, but I fabricated a rack that is attached to my back rest, which is attached to my fanny pak rack. All this can be removed by pressing two buttons. Yoy can attach your bags to the passenger grab rails, but like John Wayne, you would do well to put something soft under them. You'll figure out a way and I look forward to the video on U-tube.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »

So cool!
Great for shopping 🖒😄
Here's a picture of how I mounted soft bags on my DT. Not the best looking set up, perhaps, but its very functional. . Can't see much in these pictures, but I fabricated a rack that is attached to my back rest, which is attached to my fanny pak rack. All this can be removed by pressing two buttons. Yoy can attach your bags to the passenger grab rails, but like John Wayne, you would do well to put something soft under them. You'll figure out a way and I look forward to the video on U-tube.

Mac
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
I don't like having too much weight (such as topboxes and the like) past the rear wheel on any motorbike - I find it makes the handling a bit funny.

As for bag carrying, isn't that what the small hook above the filler cap is for? If you're Italian or French, it must be very handy for a small man bag containing your sparkly mobile phone and the like  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:41:16 PM by Snorvey »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()