Author Topic: 450i MXU Stalling  (Read 19613 times)

Bratman2

• View Profile
Re: 450i MXU Stalling
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2016, 01:03:01 AM »
Brrrr, that is cold!! Good to hear that has worked good for you!!! Have you had a chance to put many miles on it? I think 7 degrees would discourage me a little.  I think mine had 139 when I parked it a few days ago. I have managed to put more miles on it than I thought I would. Mainly because one of my daughters bought a house close to a mile from me. Been helping her remodel on my days off so mostly the Kymco and lesser so the Grizzly go there. I have had no stumbling any more when coming off throttle and taking back off. Zero problems finding reverse. Guess it is mostly a break in thing.

Still looking at 25" tires. Have not sprung for them yet!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
No, I didn't ride it at all yesterday. The cold wasn't so bad, but the wind was 20-30 mpg! No way I was riding. I drove it a bit the last week in December. I had brought my niece, nephew and girlfriend up with me and took them for rides. They loved it! It did stall twice. I have a new theory on why it might be happening. It may have something to do with the throttle. I had put a throttle buddy (it's an extension lever) on it which makes it easier on the thumb. I recently took it off because it puts my wrist at a bit of an awkward angle and I wanted to try without it for a while. It then started stalling again. Could be a coincidence, but it really does change the way it accelerates. I'm going to put it back on and see what happens.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2016, 01:32:24 AM »
That is weird with the throttle! With 7 degrees and 20-30 mph winds I guess wind chill is negative numbers. Seems we have had abnormal winds around here for the past year or two, sick of it myself. Keep me posted on how things work out for you and I will give a update every so often on mine.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2016, 02:15:21 AM »
Yeah, wind chill was -11. Can't wait to retire down south! I'll keep you posted how I make out. In another month I should be spending weekends up there again.

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »
Hey Bratman2, it's been a long time. Hope all is well. I have a new problem I'm hoping you can help me with. I took it for a ride and then shut it down. After about a minute or so I wanted to start it again to check something out. Turned the key, the display came on, turned the EFI on, then pressed the start button and it immediately went dead! It won't start at all. No display, no anything, doesn't crank, EFI doesn't come on, completely dead. I checked the battery and all the fuses I could find, took the key switch out and checked for power at the connetor, all appears good. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:12:43 PM by Oldfriend »

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2017, 12:45:36 AM »
I think there is a 30 amp main fuse close to the starter that is not in the fuse box. That is weird just the same. If you have access to your book check on location for that fuse. I am assuming battery did check okay on voltage? You have power to the ignition switch? I work 12 hour shift and just got home not long ago. I do have a troubleshooting file for our 450. Also have a rather large file on the AC 450i which is the same as ours. I scanned through it quickly and really didn't see anything that might shed light on your problem. Only other thing I can think of besides the 30 amp main fuse would be cycle your kill switch back and forth a couple of times. If you would like either file message me your email and I will try and send them to you.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2017, 12:48:05 AM »
Oh, and I have been doing fine, thank you for asking! Hope you are too except for your minor problem. My Kymco has been running awesome.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2017, 01:10:19 AM »
Yes, I found the 30 amp fuse it was in the battery case. It was fine. I have power at the ignition switch. Being that the display doesn't come on when I turn the key, I was thinking maybe the ignition switch suddenly went bad? I'll message you my email and you can try and send those files, thanks!

I'm doing well, thanks. I had hit a tree with the front right tire and bent the tie rod end last fall, just replaced it and played around and got it aligned. Wasn't too bad, but getting parts and then the time to do it was a pain. Then this happened.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:08 PM »
Two other things I just thought of, 1st grounds. I went through a weird electrical problem several years ago with my youngest daughter's Ford Focus. Sometimes it was fine and others it became like it was electrically demon possessed. It was a bad ground on the negative cable from the battery. Maybe went you hit the tree you knocked a ground loose. On my Motto Guzzi Norge if you lose power coming out of the electronic display it will not start. Maybe the display has gone bad or somehow lost power going to it. That is just a wild guess!! The service guides give value for most all electrical components. With an ohm meter you should be able to sort this out. I would start with making sure battery is fully charged and load tested. Then grounds and if that checks out move on to check each connector for resistance of current.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 12:54:56 AM »
Yes, I had someone at work mention the possible ground issue. Im going to follow your suggestions first the battery. Even though I checked and had 12v, it wasn't under load. Could have lost a cell and had no current. I'll put my jump box on it. Then I'm going to buzz out the switches, ignition, shut off and start. Then check for bad grounds. Sounds like a fun day. Thanks for your help!

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 02:14:31 AM »
Electrical troubleshooting can be trying at best. Middle daughter just called a little ago. No AC at her house. Got lucky, or so I thought, and found three wires that had chaffed on the edge of the blower housing. Separated them, wrapped them with three layers of electrical tape and we have compressor running and no blower. Only 83 in her house. She's going to have to call an AC repair guy. That was the limit of my knowledge. Hope you have better success, lol!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
Electrical isn't my area of expertise either. I'm going to go through what I know and hope for the best. Sadly electrical problems can be challenging even for the dealers. I'll hope for the best. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks again.

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:29 PM »
Okay, I'm almost embarrassed to say, it was a loose battery terminal! Reason it through me was the way it happened. I had just finished riding it, turned it off, decided I wanted to check something, Turn the key on, display came on,  turned on emergency switch, EFI came on, hit start button and it turned it instantly off. Figured fuse, switch problem. I did check battery and it had 12v (not under load of course)  I do remember tugging at the battery terminal wires and they seemed tight. I was much more aggressive this time I guess and i noticed a bit of corrosion under one so I rocked it a bit. Started right up. Glad it wasn't a major issue. Had I just tried to start it cold and it didn't start and the display didn't come on, I would have immediately focused all my attention on the battery and terminals. Live and learn. Thanks again for all your help.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »
Awesome! I am glad it was simple. It was good to hear from you too!!!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2017, 02:14:09 PM »
Me too! LOL. Thanks again for the manuals and help. Hopefully won't need them, but good to have. I'm going to send you an email.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()