Author Topic: new shifter kit for 450i  (Read 1506 times)

airshot

• View Profile
new shifter kit for 450i
« on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
I understand there is a replacement kit for the shifter in the 2015/16 model 450i's availiable from the factory that is supposed to fix the notchy shifter problems with the earlier models. It is a new 2017 fix that can be used to replace the early model shifters. Anyone have any information or experience with it yet? I have had some issues, nothing real serious just enough to piss you off when your in a hurry. would like to find out more to decide whether it would be worth the changeover. Thanks

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
Re: new shifter kit for 450i
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:41:48 AM »
I've read this doesn't really help the notchy problem. But that was only one person

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
    Thanks for the reply but that is what I have been hearing even from my own dealer and they contacted a Kymco service tech at the factory and he gave the same story. He stated it does help a small amount, but for the cost most are not impressed. Long term history shows the shifter (early model) does get better over time, and mine has so I am not sure the couple hundred to change it over is worth it.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:53:43 AM »
Two things I don't like about the 450i are the turning radius and the shifter. Make that 3, it's too damn loud, hard to hold a conversation.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:05:49 AM »
   I can agree with the first two, but you will find out the shifter gets better as it gets broke in. I switched to full synthetic oil and the shifter has gotten much better. The noise issue is a new one on me, I find it fairly quiet unless I jump on the throttle hard.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:15:28 AM »
So how many miles for break-in, I have over 600 miles and the shifting still sucks.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Switched to syn oil at 300 miles, now have 450 miles and shifter is better, but there are days when it is really cranky, I have learned to make the shift when it is barely moving or rocking it by just touching the gas ever so lightly!!

MaineIac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:00:18 AM »
I must say after a few weeks of ownership and just a few short rides, the shifter is my only complaint. the turning radius isnt great but nothing id complain about. im at 70 miles on the machine now, once i have the first service i will switch to full syn oil. i really notice issues with the shifter when i am loading and unloading onto a tilting trailer, machine will stick in R when i need D, or vise-versa. hopefully this will get better

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »
Same problem here and I think the only complaint for a lot of others as well. I've just gotten use to giving it a little throttle Before switching gears. I have read on the Kymco Mudders Facebook page that some people have taken the shifter spring out to allow it to shift easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Another complaint is the crappy cheap hood the way it snaps into place. This is supposedly addressed on the 2017s. I looking for a 2017 green turf model. I'm considering trading my 2015 in for a 17. And would be sweet if I could swap all my off road body armor accessories and fairly new maxxis big horn 2.0 26" tires in the deal. Heck id let them keep the roof an windshield that's on it as I plan to hopefully upgrade to ORBA slim roof and the pacific eagle lexan deluxe windshield soon. We'll see. I think with the turf model being able to unlock the rear diff will help with the turning the 450 suffers from. Trying to locate an green turf model right now. Stay tuned

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »
   I fixed the hood problem by adding a stretch cord to the front so it can't lift up at speed.  Do your self a favor and remove the two metal clips on each side, makes the hood much easier to operate and the stretch cord keeps it down. I used the same stretch cord that is used in kayaks to hold items in place.

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »
   I fixed the hood problem by adding a stretch cord to the front so it can't lift up at speed.  Do your self a favor and remove the two metal clips on each side, makes the hood much easier to operate and the stretch cord keeps it down. I used the same stretch cord that is used in kayaks to hold items in place.

I'm thinking about just getting some small piano type hinges and making the hood "automotive" and just secure it down like you said with a bungee cord. I had a chance to look at the 17s. I do actually like the new shifter. It's definitely an upgrade. The hood is still the same cheap crappy snap in type plastic. The bench seat did not feel as soft and spongy as the 16/17 was more firm and if I remember correctly it may have been contoured to fit you better an hold you in place. In other words a bench but the foam molded so it's like a seat if that makes sense. Also the new graphics on them are really cool and look a lot better. Also the factor roof has changed. It's just a slim stream lined hard plastic roof instead of the plastic one with the bulges in it. I plan on getting the slim roof from off road body armor eventually. Im also thinking about getting mine vinyl camo wrapped as well. So in summary the 17 is better in some regards but in the end the 15, 16 and 17 is the same machine through and through. I have heard from the regional DSM from kymco for my region (NC SC Tennessee Va and west Va) that some big changes are coming from kymco on the UXVs press release should be in the next couple of weeks. Oh he also said we are getting a dealer fairly close by as well!!! This gentle actually lives in my town! Pretty cool and good resource.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »
    VERY glad to see them expanding, that just means more good things to come!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()