Author Topic: DT 300i vs Forza 300  (Read 3362 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: DT 300i vs Forza 300
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
The legend of SYM parts, lol.

I put 40,000 miles on two SYMs and a Lance. Never had a parts issue but I never needed anything other than consumables. I also had one of the few big, stocking SYM dealers nearby. They had parts on hand.

Great scoots tough as nails but I'm a little warrry about the overall picture.

As much as I don't like to pay a premium my next scoot would be the Honda adv if it ever gets here.
I'll pay for the novelty done with Honda quality.

AMAC

The day I drove 30 miles to look at the SYM line-up....I was already a fan after reading up on the line and getting good comments from  a friend who refurbished & resold Reflexes - plus visiting the SYM forum.
 That shed full of ea. model was really exciting to see. So many great looking scooters and a couple motorcycles in different colors.

But, I was standing in a garden shed (albeit, a new one) with the owner, who walked me over from his HVAC co. building....past his defunct shop. "Sales girl quit this summer. Mechanic quit last winter. I start each of them every week or two."

As impressed as I was with the product - I was a bit leery of starting my scootering career with pretty much no company back-up....although he assured me that they were "very reliable and pretty easy to home-service". Then I read about the U.S. distributor burning his bldg down...... and, sadly,  I went off to see the hard-selling boys at my local mega-bike shop. Paying full-bull for my Kymco.

Fine scooters. But dang; living in the wrong country, I guess!
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
Alliance has improved things more than a little, but SYM is still having to work at getting reestablished, & that in a country where bike sales have been declining.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:24 AM »
To the original OP post.

Seat - foot ergonomics would be the issue.

IMO, find a used Burgman 400 or work on the above issues.

My Downtown will cruise at 75 mph all day is that enough to keep
up with the DL650?

Had a Burg 400 and 650 a while back.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Saw a super low mileage  Forza going for $2500.
Considered buying it....but never will buy anything again on 2 wheels that doesn't have ABS.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Considered buying it....but never will buy anything again on 2 wheels that doesn't have ABS.
Stig

Good choice mate. May the ABS be with you.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
Stig

I'm with you on that these days.
I think the ABS option is going to steer my choice above all for my wife.
That leaves me with Forza and BV, plus the BV has traction control.
Is Kymco adding abs to any new scoots for 2018?
I've still got an eye open towards Yamaha and hopefully the X-max 300 comes to the US in 18.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
I rode the DT 300 and BV350 back to back and purchased the BV for two pretty clear reasons; ABS and the more solid feel. I'm a real fan of Kymco and found the decision came down to the above verses the known reliability of Kymco products. I had just sold a Vespa 250ie based on its lack of reliability and funky design elements (hard to work on and lack of quality OEM parts). In the end the ABS and solid feel carried the day. So far, I'm very happy with the BV's ABS and handling and less excited with some design details that would not have been found on the People (funky mirror mounting design and hard to get to, hose clamps and spark plug cap need to be replaced, out of the box).
If the BV turns out to be unreliable or to have high and difficult maintenance it will be gone. I would replace it with a Kymco (300-550 size) or Yamaha product (300-530 size).
Happy scooting!
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 01:50:03 AM »
I rode the DT 300 and BV350 back to back and purchased the BV for two pretty clear reasons; ABS and the more solid feel. I'm a real fan of Kymco and found the decision came down to the above verses the known reliability of Kymco products. I had just sold a Vespa 250ie based on its lack of reliability and funky design elements (hard to work on and lack of quality OEM parts). In the end the ABS and solid feel carried the day. So far, I'm very happy with the BV's ABS and handling and less excited with some design details that would not have been found on the People (funky mirror mounting design and hard to get to, hose clamps and spark plug cap need to be replaced, out of the box).
If the BV turns out to be unreliable or to have high and difficult maintenance it will be gone. I would replace it with a Kymco (300-550 size) or Yamaha product (300-530 size).
Happy scooting!
Please keep posting your experiences with the BV....I came real close to buying that pretty scooter.
Went with the Forza. did not regret it...but that Italian is an awfully good looking scooter.
Probably should find a BV forum just to tag along.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »
I'm riding it to Napa in a few minutes for lunch.
Looking forward to the handling as the road has ~200 turns and is great fun.
Comment: Locking the forks with the key is a PITA. There seems to be something stopping the key from rotating smoothly. No, it's not that the forks aren't in the right position, etc.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 06:55:55 PM »
I'm riding it to Napa in a few minutes for lunch.
Looking forward to the handling as the road has ~200 turns and is great fun.
Comment: Locking the forks with the key is a PITA. There seems to be something stopping the key from rotating smoothly. No, it's not that the forks aren't in the right position, etc.
Pull the fork with left hand, twist key gently with right hand, say P A S T A slowly. It wiill snap in place like a Swiss Guard!
Italians must be persuaded.
Slow in, fast out.....watching for Olives and/or sand in the apexes.
Stig
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:57:39 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 10:52:01 PM »
A couple people wrote that "honda is a honda "
I did some research and interviewed a few scientists and came to the following conclusion:
You were right. A Honda is indeed, a Honda.
I sat on a Forza when they first came out at  a local dealership and I got right back off of it. It looked and felt like a cheap piece of work to me.

It sat low, the seat was a low gloss flat black and looked very cheaply made. Knowing they are heavier with less hp and lower mpg than my high tech, modern looking DT300 (Orange Crusher ) I never gave Honda another thought.
On a side note I have an 02 Civic in my yard with a blown head gasket after never being treated badly, and a 2yr old Honda 2000 generator that needs starter fluid, Seafoam, and a prayer to start than dam thing if it sets longer than 3 days without being started.
I have a 99 Nissan Altima that has been abused and has 378, 000 miles on it.

I drive it every day. I have a PowerHouse 3100 portable generator (Taiwan) that is 6 yrs old, sets out in the rain and sometimes snow for months. Its in the barn right now and I can aim the remote towards the wall and start it from 80 feet away at any time.
I had a SYM HD200m that I put 16,000 miles on with no issues whatsoever and if I could, I`d order a MaxSym 400 sight unseen if they had good dealer network.
The only reason I got a DT300 right now is because of the loss of SYM dealers.

I found out, after having it for a while, that I absolutely love this Kymco though. Hands down, an awesome bike. I put 17,000 miles on mine thus far with zero issues worthy of note. I have 14g sliders in it and I`m shopping for 16g sliders at the moment.
I`d have one each Kymco Xciting400 and a MaxSym400 if it were possible.
A Forza? I`ll never ever bother to sit on another one. If I were going to try a "premium" brand I`d go Burgman, hands down, but in all honesty, we have "premium" right out in our driveways/garages right now!

2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
A couple really nice shiny helmets

"I`m a man, but I can change. If I have to.
.....I guess....."

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 11:52:33 PM »
This is why we have horse races!
The crusher had bad experiences with his Hondas....while I've had nothing but good - 4 motorcycles, 1 mower and one Forza....over a period of 45+ yrs.

I like my new 400 Burgman - loved the Forza. Found no difference in the build quality. Both had teething troubles when first off the assembly line. Forza recalled 'em to fix 'em...early Burgs had to live with the 3 pad clutch,etc. Both are fixed now....but the Forza is still smoother around town., where the Burgman is a bit coarse.
I will admit  - the extra $2,000 does get you a nicer looking seat cover on the Burgman....though my bum never had an issue with the nice low center of gravity on the seat of the Forza. My first ride home, across town in heavy city traffic was a breeze on the well balanced Honda scooter..

FORZA is a cooler name than the Burgman, no question! (like some KYMCO's - one has to wonder what the committee was drinking when they came up with the names for their scooters! "B U R G M A N" ?....Skywave is cooler.

As for the Kymco 300's - they are by reputation fine scooters, so say owners and reviewers.  Color is different.....  probably why that 300 has sat unsold so many yrs at my dealer - but then they released some goofy colored Forzas in Asia, too.
Go figure...

Stig

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:32:45 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
I know Goofy !

Not a selfie...