Author Topic: Drive Belt Inspection  (Read 3949 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Drive Belt Inspection
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 06:44:06 AM »
YOU DID PUT LOCK-TIGHT BLUE ON THE THREADS,  JUST A DROP WILL DO IT,

I didn't put any of that in the threads. It didn't mention it in the manual. The bolts are correctly torqued though.  Does everyone else use it? There didn't appear to be any there when I stripped it down
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:56:06 AM by Snorvey »

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
I didn't put any of that in the threads. It didn't mention it in the manual. The bolts are correctly torqued though.  She's everyone else use it? There didn't appear to be any there when I sttripped it down
If you torqued according to the manual it will be fine. Blue Loctite ads a bit more security.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
Thanks all. I took it for a spin and all seems to be fine - much better in fact. Smoother & quieter for sure.

As my test run took me past the auto parts store, I nipped in and got some Loctite thread lock. It's supposed to be wet tomorrow, so I might take it apart again - I don't think it will take me more than half an hour now and it's good practice for me.

Cheers

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Drive belt stripdown take 2....

..and all because the lady loves Loctite threadlock.

Cheers!

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
....and after a long-ish run this morning.....it still makes a noise from a standing start.

.....AND on closer inspection & going by the faded print, it looks like the belt I took off was a 4000 mile old Mitsuboshi part

So the upshot is that after this weekend I've got sore knees and back and I'm a £140 worse off. In any other world that sounds like a good night out and I kind of wish I'd left the original belt alone and done just that.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

In the meantime, here's a pic of a tired old wreck.......... with the remains of a 12th century castle in the background

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Check your variator, if there is a ridge on it then it is worn out. You have to see it and feel it. Also there is a bearing to check inside the metal transmission cover, it connects to the clutch axle.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
Thanks for that MJ - I did mean to update the board on this one.

It seems to be working fine now (touch wood!) I was out last night and no noise whatsoever on take off (I didn't give it the full beans though)

Maybe it was just settling down? I cleaned the metal surface faces with meths as directed by others and I don't recall feeling anything untoward.

Saying that, my new air filter, spark plug and oli filter has arrived, so next time the weather's a bit rotten, I might just spend a day in the shed with the bike, my radio and a thermos of coffee and check it over again while installing my service parts.

Thanks again!

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
  in Canada we call it Nufi screech,   USA call it white lightning

The one you can buy from manufacturer is Everclear. Sight returns faster than strained Sterno (or Canned Heat...the Band named themselves after this) . We be "Goin' Up The Country"
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()