Author Topic: Drive Belt Inspection  (Read 3952 times)

Redk

• View Profile
Re: Drive Belt Inspection
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
The belt appears to be serviceable, clean sheaves as described and enjoy more miles on your scooter.

If you are a service fanatic, definitely install a new OEM belt after cleaning, saving this one as a spare.

Throwing more money at any situation does inspire confidence.
redk

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
I have the same thing before and after replacing the drive belt.   Short, screech when starting, but it has to be hot.   The interior was surprisingly clean and the variation pulley faces where smooth and shiny.

The next time I change the belt, I am going to rough up the variatior pulley faces with 600 emery cloth.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 08:16:11 AM »
Short, screech when starting, but it has to be hot

Yes - and in my case only after 80+ miles plus constant.

As I have been only using the scoot for short commutes of late, the problem hasn't recurred.

Therefore, there isn't a problem :-)

P.S. not sure roughing up anything with with emery paper is a good idea - look at what happened to Ol' 2 Wheels :-)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
Snorvey, what happened to Ole Two Wheels??

Ole two wheels
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
I don't know what happened to "ole two Wheels", but Snorvey is correct about putting any abrasive on the belt sheaves . At the most. all you would do is speed up your belt wear and possibly cause jerky starts. Those sheaves are suppose to be smooth, shiny and un groved. Just my thoughts.

Mac, aka "Ole Two Wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 09:13:30 PM »
Evening Mac.

Lots of love from Bonnie Scotland.

.... And it's a holiday weekend!

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 05:45:04 AM »
We got us a holiday weekend here also Our's is call Memorial Day and is observed on Monday. What the holiday over there for?? Or are you going on holiday. If memory severs, The English say they are going on Holiday when they take leave of work for a week or so and we call it taking a vacation. Anyway, what ever it's for, have a great holiday.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 05:51:46 AM »
We got us a holiday weekend here also Our's is call Memorial Day and is observed on Monday. What the holiday over there for?? Or are you going on holiday. If memory severs, The English say they are going on Holiday when they take leave of work for a week or so and we call it taking a vacation. Anyway, what ever it's for, have a great holiday.

happy birthday for the queen  in the UK, and  canada

Mac

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 06:40:03 AM »

Mac

It's the Spring Bank Holiday Monday' according to my diary.

For the English (down south), that normally means getting up at 4am on Saturday morning and sitting in a motorway traffic jam for 8 hours on their way to the seaside.

For the Scottish, we normally head down to the pub for some al fresco (weather permitting!) alcohol imbibing.

Have a good one yourself!

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
I ordered a new drive belt today - a Mitsuboshi item to replace the cheapo pattern part that currently installed (that starts squealing on take off after only around 30 miles now (it used to be 80-odd)

I also ordered a holding tool as I'm going to do this myself. I've had the belt cover off recently to have a look and as well as watched a couple of videos on youtube and read the section in the manual that was linked to here...... and the job seems fairly straightforward.

I've got a long handled torque wrench so I think I'm good to go. Other than a good brush out I think OTW suggested cleaning the pulley surfaces thoroughly with some sort of alcohol based cleaner?

I'll take some pics (for Nireen's Downtown archive)

Wish me luck!

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
a tip if I may
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
When cleaning pully s and sheeves, use de natured alcohol or Acetone. Regular alcohol is oil based. Anything oily or greasy on belt is a no no.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
Good morning everyone.

So my new Mitsuboshi drive belt and holding tool is here.

Can I ask, is the belt directional (like tyres f'rinstance?)

I can't see any arrows on it, so I'm assuming not....

[Edit] Scrap that!. I've just noticed arrows printed on the topside next to the Mitsuboshie logo(s)....

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »
Well the old belt is off. That was quite quick - probably due to me doing a recce strip down a couple of months ago meaning the belt cover was easy enough to come off. The holding tool worked well and the retaining nuts came off easily enough with my torque wrench.

There is a filter on the belt cover that seems to be a bit choked up with debris (obviously because it's choked up with debris must mean its doing its job...) I'll give it a clean before reassembly.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »
Well it's on and it's tightened itself up ok....oh, and there are no leftover bits (always a good sign)

A damn sight easier (and less messier) than a chain and sprockets, that for sure!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 01:03:27 AM »
Well it's on and it's tightened itself up ok....oh, and there are no leftover bits (always a good sign)

A damn sight easier (and less messier) than a chain and sprockets, that for sure!

YOU DID PUT LOCK-TIGHT BLUE ON THE THREADS,  JUST A DROP WILL DO IT, 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()