Author Topic: SCOOTER FIXING WITH NIREEN omg :p  (Read 3731 times)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: SCOOTER FIXING WITH NIREEN omg :p
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »
Hi Ni,

Far as tools go, if the bolt's real stuck you may want an impact wrench, or breaker bar.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-61173.html
is the electric impact wrench I have.  It's cheap does the job, & since you have to plug it in will be there even if you need it a year down the road.  If I used 'em all the time I'd get an air setup...but that's another story.  Do not install bolts with this.  Just remove 'em.  Way too easy to strip a hole if you install with one, particularly if it's your first time.
https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-1-2-in-dr-18-in-flex-handle
is what I mean by breaker bar.   They're basically leverage 101, you can even put a pipe over 'em to extend 'em.  There are all kinds of them for all kinds of applications. No idea how good the craftsman one is these days.  Mine's about 25 years old and was U.S. made back when Sears was Sears and seemed to care about their reputation.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »
Yes the video gave me a laugh, but the main thing is that you were willing to try. Most women I know would have a panic attach if they got a bit of grease or grime on their hands. Those socket head bolts on the muffler can be hard to get out. Because they are continually going thru heat cycles. As was mention use a bit of penetrating oil, such as liquid wrench, but what was not mentioned is, after applying the oil, take a small hammer or wrench and tap the bolt rapidly. This vibration will cause the oil to wick into the threads faster. You will need a 3/8 ratchet and as mentioned you might even need a cheater bar. On really stubborn Bolts, sometimes it can help to try turning just a little as if you were tightening it. (to the right or clockwise) I would not use a drill driver on this application.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 06:11:51 AM »
Or, depending on how accessible you can use an actual torch (propane).  Heat will sometimes cause stubborn bolts to release, & exhaust bolts are notorious.
Cross your toes and hope you don't sheer one.  If you do there are some things you could do, but at that point you'd probably want to consider someone more experienced to drill it out.
Trust me that can be a real PITA (Pain in the...ankle.)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 09:37:06 AM »
Awe you all are so darn precious!  Thanks alot.  I am learning alot!  OK let me check out those links now.  I will be a pro in no time. :D :o
Kat :)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »
I was lookin at getting one of those breaker bars a few months back.  I think I will get one cause I could than put my body pressure to it in helping. 

Hi Ni,

Far as tools go, if the bolt's real stuck you may want an impact wrench, or breaker bar.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-61173.html
is the electric impact wrench I have.  It's cheap does the job, & since you have to plug it in will be there even if you need it a year down the road.  If I used 'em all the time I'd get an air setup...but that's another story.  Do not install bolts with this.  Just remove 'em.  Way too easy to strip a hole if you install with one, particularly if it's your first time.
https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-1-2-in-dr-18-in-flex-handle
is what I mean by breaker bar.   They're basically leverage 101, you can even put a pipe over 'em to extend 'em.  There are all kinds of them for all kinds of applications. No idea how good the craftsman one is these days.  Mine's about 25 years old and was U.S. made back when Sears was Sears and seemed to care about their reputation.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 11:25:41 AM »
Our local college occasionally run night classes for car and motorcycle maintenance. Might be worth checking if anything near you does something similar?

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
YES great idea!!! Thanks :)

Our local college occasionally run night classes for car and motorcycle maintenance. Might be worth checking if anything near you does something similar?

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »
That socket head bolt in the exhaust clamp is about the same as an S.A.E american 5/16th and it is not a harden bolt and as such won't stand to much torque before it breaks off. Why not forget the breaker bar and do the Liquid Wrench and the tapping thingie.. After years of mechanic work, I can feel a bolt that's getting ready to snap, but I still break one every now and then. Sometimes that's all you can do is break 'em off, drill 'em out and re-thread or put a nut on the backside. But I'll bet you dime to a donut, if you soak her down with LW do the tapping, come back the next day, it'll come on off.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 08:57:55 PM »
I purchase a lovely set of long allen wrenches today and bam no problem for the bolt to come out for me.  The bolt on the muffler with the bracket.  I also purchased a big powerful socket bar.  Something with some power behind it for the other big bolts on the muffler. :) Will tackle this in the morning to see how it works out for me. :)

That socket head bolt in the exhaust clamp is about the same as an S.A.E american 5/16th and it is not a harden bolt and as such won't stand to much torque before it breaks off. Why not forget the breaker bar and do the Liquid Wrench and the tapping thingie.. After years of mechanic work, I can feel a bolt that's getting ready to snap, but I still break one every now and then. Sometimes that's all you can do is break 'em off, drill 'em out and re-thread or put a nut on the backside. But I'll bet you dime to a donut, if you soak her down with LW do the tapping, come back the next day, it'll come on off.

Mac

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
Nireen/Kat, whatever works, without doubt...

Do NOT use a torch to loosen stuck parts on your scooter !

It is a common practice you are Not Qualified to undertake and consequences could very easily be a total loss.

Please !

I enjoyed your video quite a bit. You are pretty, personable, and humorous.
I would be glad to help you, and could easily imagine others would, too.

I would advise you collect all parts and materials required to do the job and visit a knowledgeable person, or even go to a meet-up...
Address the crowd and tell them, "I want to change my brake pads, now".
Try it...  you will be surprised at how quickly this task may be done, in a parking spot of a donut shop!

Wow!  Where to start ???

Best thing about cleaning your scooter will be a growing familiarity which contributes to false confidence.
Second best thing will be you will notice changes, and perhaps the beginning of a problem.

When doing such work, protect yourself.
Most mechanics wear nitrile gloves to prevent their hands from becoming embedded with carbon grit. They are cheap.
Protect your knees, and other body parts by breaking down a couple cardboard boxes and throwing them down on the cement to give yourself a little padding.
Also, a piece under the scoot, and newspaper over that to soak up those cleaning fluids and water grease may drip.
You might want to rinse off those fluids when done with water, to avoid a smoking scooter on first start.

IF you take my advice and seek the oversight of a qualified person, you could live longer !  And become wiser !
They will enhance  your learning curve and assist you in learning how to identify wear items and diagnose potential problems.
Clean is Not a critical factor for most scooter parts. At least not anywhere you can wipe with a paper towel.

Part of the problem here is you do not even know when you should ask for help. You could jeopardize yourself, and/or others.

You are personable and pleasant.  Make use of those traits to ask for assistance/oversight.

I am confident you shall do fine, with just a little help, because you want to learn.
Do it the smart way, push the EZ button !
redk

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »
Ha thank you very much for your concern and suggestions!  I am happy with how I am growing and learning just so you know ;) Very happy and trust me I seek alot of help and truth be a bit to much.  The more I go at something and trust me I am not being stupid about it and I do check in with those who know what they are doing to confirm all is well.  If I am not sure I take the bike to garage and they look it over confirming all is well.  My video's make me look bad but you do not know me or see how I really role.  :) Love your advice! thanks.

Nireen/Kat, whatever works, without doubt...

Do NOT use a torch to loosen stuck parts on your scooter !

It is a common practice you are Not Qualified to undertake and consequences could very easily be a total loss.

Please !

I enjoyed your video quite a bit. You are pretty, personable, and humorous.
I would be glad to help you, and could easily imagine others would, too.

I would advise you collect all parts and materials required to do the job and visit a knowledgeable person, or even go to a meet-up...
Address the crowd and tell them, "I want to change my brake pads, now".
Try it...  you will be surprised at how quickly this task may be done, in a parking spot of a donut shop!

Wow!  Where to start ???

Best thing about cleaning your scooter will be a growing familiarity which contributes to false confidence.
Second best thing will be you will notice changes, and perhaps the beginning of a problem.

When doing such work, protect yourself.
Most mechanics wear nitrile gloves to prevent their hands from becoming embedded with carbon grit. They are cheap.
Protect your knees, and other body parts by breaking down a couple cardboard boxes and throwing them down on the cement to give yourself a little padding.
Also, a piece under the scoot, and newspaper over that to soak up those cleaning fluids and water grease may drip.
You might want to rinse off those fluids when done with water, to avoid a smoking scooter on first start.

IF you take my advice and seek the oversight of a qualified person, you could live longer !  And become wiser !
They will enhance  your learning curve and assist you in learning how to identify wear items and diagnose potential problems.
Clean is Not a critical factor for most scooter parts. At least not anywhere you can wipe with a paper towel.

Part of the problem here is you do not even know when you should ask for help. You could jeopardize yourself, and/or others.

You are personable and pleasant.  Make use of those traits to ask for assistance/oversight.

I am confident you shall do fine, with just a little help, because you want to learn.
Do it the smart way, push the EZ button !
redk

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 07:16:42 AM »
Hi Kat,
Your vids are wonderful !
Keep up the good work on them !!

They do Not make you look bad.  They show your charm and enthusiasm.

I have learned (the hard way), all the wise old sayings do apply.
(Curiosity and false confidence were the end of the cat?)

When I was younger I loosened a stuck nut on a Very expensive CAT loader with a torch.
When it caught on fire I was unaware where the extinguisher was.
I was saved by a senior mechanic who made a few very quick steps to save the day, and my job.

I would pull the same stunt today, yet the fire extinguisher would be close at hand. Better yet, a helper holding it.

You are obviously bright, intelligent, and energetic. I would never discourage you.
There is a ton of great help here on this forum and it would be best to take advantage of that before undertaking projects.

I did make a suggestion in your other thread, and will stop being a pest.
redk

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
Red I can clearly see you mean very well and that is appreciated. Thing is I did not ask for this kind of advise and you chose to write in down in a very controlling way instead of saying Hey Kat can I share some ideas that might help you and keep you safe etc.  You had a scary experience and I am glad it worked out good for you.  We must all (and we do!) make mistakes and it is these mistakes we hopefully learn from.  I don't need someone telling me what to do nor do any of us appreciate that.  I have to do as I feel I need to do.  It is my journey and I am in charge of that.  If I ask for advice I will than take it as long as it is brought to me in a Non-Controlling way. :) Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Hi Kat,
Your vids are wonderful !
Keep up the good work on them !!

They do Not make you look bad.  They show your charm and enthusiasm.

I have learned (the hard way), all the wise old sayings do apply.
(Curiosity and false confidence were the end of the cat?)

When I was younger I loosened a stuck nut on a Very expensive CAT loader with a torch.
When it caught on fire I was unaware where the extinguisher was.
I was saved by a senior mechanic who made a few very quick steps to save the day, and my job.

I would pull the same stunt today, yet the fire extinguisher would be close at hand. Better yet, a helper holding it.

You are obviously bright, intelligent, and energetic. I would never discourage you.
There is a ton of great help here on this forum and it would be best to take advantage of that before undertaking projects.

I did make a suggestion in your other thread, and will stop being a pest.
redk

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 08:22:38 PM »
This is the gun I have Stig.  I am sure I had it going the right way which is counter-clock-wise to remove correct? Clock-wise to tighten.

the drill is not to good for taking bolts out,  you need a impack drill ,. it does not twist the drill like a straght drill,. 

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
I thought I had an impact drill?  That would solve it than.

the drill is not to good for taking bolts out,  you need a impack drill ,. it does not twist the drill like a straght drill,.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()