Author Topic: SCOOTER FIXING WITH NIREEN omg :p  (Read 3730 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Kat :)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: SCOOTER FIXING WITH NIREEN omg :p
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »
Watching this video now....

1. Do the brake pads actually need changing - rear brake pads should last an age. They're quite easy to inspect with a torch.

2. Do you need to take the exhaust off to change the brake pads? Seems a bit extreme.

3. Assuming you do, spray some penetrating oil onto the bolt and leave it for a while. Try tapping the bolt head lightly with a hammer. You also need a longer socket drive - or a piece of pipe that fits over the end. Extra leverage is what your looking for

4. Mole grips!!!? NOOOOO!!! Step away from the mole grips.

5. You need to grip the socket and the small extender with 2 pairs of pliers and kinda wiggle them up and down in opposite directions to free them. Don't worry, this happens to me a lot too.

6. We all have to start somewhere. At least you know when to stop :-)

7. At least the bit of the exhaust that's covered over by the exhaust cover is clean.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
Ha Ha Ha  :D  No I don't have to remove the muffler but I don't have the proper tool to get into that small place to take of the bolts to the brake.  Thank you very much for your detailed response.   It helps me!

1. Do the brake pads actually need changing - rear brake pads should last an age. They're quite easy to inspect with a torch.

2. Do you need to take the exhaust off to change the brake pads? Seems a bit extreme.

3. Assuming you do, spray some penetrating oil onto the bolt and leave it for a while. Try tapping the bolt head lightly with a hammer. You also need a longer socket drive - or a piece of pipe that fits over the end. Extra leverage is what your looking for

5. You need to grip the socket and the small extender with 2 pairs of pliers and kinda wiggle them up and down in opposite directions to free them. Don't worry, this happens to me a lot too.

7. At least the bit of the exhaust that's covered over by the exhaust cover is clean.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
Yeah not certain if they need changed.  I have 10,000 km on it.  I also am not sure if I am viewing the brake properly cause if I lay down and look up into it it seems I have a fair bit of break left on both sides but if I view it from behind the wheel/back it appears pretty thin on the one side of the brake while the other side/pad has lots of pad still.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »
What does a Torch look like and how to use it?

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
Always happy to help. Go and get yourself a decent set of spanners (avoid using adjustable spanners if you can). 

Something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/combination-spanner-set-12pcs/46693

I think the brake caliper mounting bolts are 12mm (or half inch in old English)

And also get some penetrating oil. Give bolts that are particularly a wee spray before you try to loosen them (leave the oil to work for as long as you can.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:43:54 PM »
A torch. Sorry, my bad.

A flashlight. Lost in translation :-)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
Yes I know those wrenches just did not ever know their names! :) Yes I have the proper size for the caliper bolts. Yeah will get the oil to. Thanks!

Always happy to help. Go and get yourself a decent set of spanners (avoid using adjustable spanners if you can). 

Something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/combination-spanner-set-12pcs/46693

I think the brake caliper mounting bolts are 12mm (or half inch in old English)

And also get some penetrating oil. Give bolts that are particularly a wee spray before you try to loosen them (leave the oil to work for as long as you can.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
I meant to say 'bolts that are particularly exposed'

Doing to many things at the same time y'see. Men aren't built for multi tasking...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Do you have a small digital camera?
I use my camera to 'see' in tight places, like under the exhaust. Download pix to Dell and have a look at brake pad thickness, leaks, etc.
I had to chuckle at your scooter how-to video.
 Yesterday found oil fill cap dead stuck on my Chevy truck. Just wanted to top up with a little oil. 3 different attempts over several hrs. to get it off. Plastic cap in plastic neck - so couldn't use force.

Was that muffler-clamp screw turning for you? It might require a couple turns, then muffler slides off after other muffler bolts removed. Might not be easy to slide off - but should do. Use an extension  to reach that clamp screw and probably do not need to remove the heat cover again.

Hang in there - know you will. (and yes, your scooter does a good job keeping the engine pretty clean!)
Stig
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:35:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »
Yes I have a digital camera and what is Dell?
Glad you enjoyed me and my silliness. :D
No that clamp was NOT turning for me but only stripping. Now I am second guessing that. OMG LOL
Yes very impressed with how the bike is made and keeps it pretty clean.  Love that. :)

Thanks Stig

Do you have a small digital camera?
I use my camera to 'see' in tight places, like under the exhaust. Download pix to Dell and have a look at brake pad thickness, leaks, etc.
I had to chuckle at your scooter how-to video.
 Yesterday found oil fill cap dead stuck on my Chevy truck. Just wanted to top up with a little oil. 3 different attempts over several hrs. to get it off. Plastic cap in plastic neck - so couldn't use force.

Was that muffler-clamp screw turning for you? It might require a couple turns, then muffler slides off after other muffler bolts removed. Might not be easy to slide off - but should do. Use an extension  to reach that clamp screw and probably do not need to remove the heat cover again.

Hang in there - know you will. (and yes, your scooter does a good job keeping the engine pretty clean!)
Stig

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
When I used my drill to try and take of the bolt  should that not do it easily!?? Why did it do what it did as shown in my video?  Do I need to change a setting on the drill to not screwing to something else. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
When I used my drill to try and take of the bolt  should that not do it easily!?? Why did it do what it did as shown in my video?  Do I need to change a setting on the drill to not screwing to something else. :)
If gun jumps/jerks left, clockwise, you are loosening a fitting.  If gun yanks hand to right it is trying to tighten something.
If bolt is stuck hard....spray some WD40 or similar penetrating product on, let sit overnight. Try gently next day, gun should loosen it, but don't  want to snap bolt head off. If your screw gun has a clutch setting (printed numbers around business end)....lower setting to less powerful twist.
I think your gun jerked your hand to the left, so, yes , you were correct to be running gun to loosen that bolt on muff. clamp.
You WERE loosening the bolt when you switched to the ratchet (silver wrench you were you using) Keep going if is turning out the bolt....lefty loosy....righty tighty.
Stig

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:50:45 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »

This is the gun I have Stig.  I am sure I had it going the right way which is counter-clock-wise to remove correct? Clock-wise to tighten.

If gun jumps/jerks left, clockwise, you are loosening a fitting.  If gun yanks hand to right it is trying to tighten something.
If bolt is stuck hard....spray some WD40 or similar penetrating product on, let sit overnight. Try gently next day, gun should loosen it, but don't  want to snap bolt head off. If your screw gun has a clutch setting (printed numbers around business end)....lower setting to less powerful twist.
I think your gun jerked your hand to the left, so, yes , you were correct to be running gun to loosen that bolt on muff. clamp.
You WERE loosening the bolt when you switched to the ratchet (silver wrench you were you using) Keep going if is turning out the bolt....lefty loosy....righty tighty.
Stig

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
One thing I been meaning to ask as well.  Maybe should start a new topic.  Anyhow I have been hearing my wheel rubbing.  The disk in the back I believe is rubbing and making a rubbing noise.  At first I thought it was the front but I think it maybe the back.  What to do? Is this telling me I need a brake pad or???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()