Author Topic: Guess what just arrived from Italy?  (Read 2336 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Guess what just arrived from Italy?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 12:37:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. Yesterday I was in our local lumber store, McCoys and looked at their cordless impact drills. The Dewalt quarter inch impact was listed at 239.00. Ouch! So I go to a cashier and asked him what my price would be since I get a discount. He looked it up on his computer and said 94.00. I said "no way, are you sure"? He finds a manager and discover that it was discounted as it appears to be a discontinued model. So I go home with a really cool quarter inch impact driver that backed the problem screw out of my scooter like warm butter. Once I got the lower plastic removed I was able to get to a few more screws that secures the top trim plastic over the instrument box. So, I finally was able to expose the handle bar area and get to the stripped bolt that would not back out so I could remove the turn signals to remove the old windshield bracket. It was a bit perplexing as how to get the bolt out as I ended up cutting it out with a Dremel tool. The welded on nut the bolt threads into is toast as I started cutting out the welded nut with the Dremel tool until the small cutoff wheel separated from the center where it atraches to the tool. Today I'll pick up another metal cutoff wheel from Lowe's and get a new bolt and nut replacement and re-assemble to plastic on the handle bar instrument cluster. I have to say it that is one tough area to remove but I did it with my son's help without breaking or damaging plastic.....So far.  And once that's done then I can install my new windshield.  I'll say this, once this windshield gets installed the old one won't go back on as it's way too much trouble to swap them out as it will go up for sale.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:00:11 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 02:15:20 PM »
Hopefully get my new Puig windshield installed today as we completed our last construction project yesterday and have a 3 day weekend. Need to pick up another Dremel metal cutoff wheel to cut out the welded factory nut and re-install a new bolt for the turn signal. Get to use the Silverwing today for my 30 mile run to Lowe's to pickup the cutoff wheel. Gorgeous day shaping up here with temps to be in mid seventies today with sunshine.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 02:34:04 AM »
Finally got the Puig smoke windscreen installed today after having to modify the turn signal bracket that got stripped or should I say may have been done by a previous owner who had installed a large aftermarket windshield that I replaced.

Windshield looks real good and made a huge difference on the top end. Previously I could get it barely to 75 and would  bog down on the hills with the big barn door. Today I easily got to 80 and had more throttle left but it was very windy and the windshield had allot of vibration and 80 was almost too fast. At 80 there was some wind buffeting on me but not too much but felt more comfortable at 70-75. Due to the hassle I had removing the the old windshield, needless to say it won't be re-installed next winter so I'll probably sell it. This is a nice mild to hot windscreen so the jury is out regarding next winter. But then there's my Silverwing which has good wind protection.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:24:15 AM by Scooter Dan »

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 03:18:49 AM »
Finally got the Puig smoke windscreen installed today after having to modify the turn signal bracket that got stripped or should I say may have been done by a previous owner who had installed a large aftermarket windshield that I replaced.

Windshield looks real good and made a huge difference on the top end. Previously I could get it barely to 75 and would  bog down on the hills with the big barn door. Today I easily got to 80 and had more throttle left but it was very windy and the windshield had allot of vibration and 80 was almost too fast. At 80 there was some wind buffeting on me but not too much but felt more comfortable at 70-75. Due to the hassle I had removing the the old windshield, needless to say it won't be re-installed next winter so I'll probably sell it. This is a nice mild to hot windscreen so the jury is out regarding next winter. But then there's my Silverwing which has good wind protection.
Here's some pics.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:23:13 AM by Scooter Dan »

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 05:20:19 AM »
Looks great!
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
Man, that's  a nice looking package there Dan!
Handsome scooter and great looking screen.
Yes Dan, 70 is just fine for a plastic scooter! °¿° !
You guys scare old folks like my good self.
Pretty cool outfit you have there.
Ride safe
Stig..... doing hard time at Tim's, waiting for sun up
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
Yes Dan, 70 is just fine for a plastic scooter! °¿° !
You guys scare old folks like my good self.
Pretty cool outfit you have there.
Ride safe
Stig..... doing hard time at Tim's, waiting for sun up

Thanks Tom for the scooter compliments and sobering advice too. Funny I was itching so bad to top 80 with the little tyke and now that I have I wonder now why I ever wanted to. That's way to fast for this plastic scooter and doubt I'll want to re-visit that speed except for passing. This little Jewell has some serious grunt and is truly a hooligan scooter.

BTW say hi to Tim and tell him I'd like one of those hot pink jobs with all the dancing sprinkles ontop. Thinking further about a recent post you wrote about bikes with balancing systems and how as we age, heavier bikes can be challenging, even Maxiscooters. Well I have the perfect setup now with a SW and BW. When I test rode the BW with new windshield yesterday, I observed how much easier my dirt road to my house is that has a section of deep loose sand. I ride that with some trepidation with my 550 pound SW but with ease with my 350 pound Kymco. I have the perfect step down scooter now when or if the SW becomes too much to handle. Kinda nice getting ones scooter ducks in a row.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
Looks great!

Thank you, it is a great looking windscreen and is really a big improvement on comfort for the warm weather. Might be a tad cooler than my previous tall windscreen for winter riding that I could not see over and frequently bumped my helmet against. I've always liked looking over windscreens than looking thru.  Last year Deb and I rode the SW on the BRP in a near total whiteout with rain and could not see thru my screen and rode 25mph looking around the side. First thing I did when we got home was to do a remodeling job on it with my jig saw.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:37:54 PM by Scooter Dan »

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »
Great looking job, Dan. Congrats on plugging through and figuring it out - and for keeping us posted. We appreciate the photos!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
Very nice, Dan! Neat installation. Ride safe.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 02:21:14 AM »
Looks good Dan!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
This was the welded nut to the frame I cutout with the Dremel as it was stripped and replaced with new nut and bolt. This is where the turn signals bolt up to under the handle bars. Thanks guys for the compliments. A real nice looking scooter now. The first photo shows what the good side looks like, the next after the nut was cutoff and the last with the new nut/bolt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 03:12:30 AM »
It,s only rock n roll, but I like, like it, yes I do. I like the edge. Looks like it's built up slightly. In fact, I like the whole bike. Ain't no bugs on your teeth Danny boy. You did good.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
It,s only rock n roll, but I like, like it, yes I do. I like the edge. Looks like it's built up slightly. In fact, I like the whole bike. Ain't no bugs on your teeth Danny boy. You did good.

Mac

Yep, I tried the naked route once like Stig on my previous Honda 919 Hornet. Wind nearly ripped me off the bike. Hope he has a bungee cord tether on his Like. I think they add a bit to the top end too. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
Yep, I tried the naked route once like Stig on my previous Honda 919 Hornet. Wind nearly ripped me off the bike. Hope he has a bungee cord tether on his Like. I think they add a bit to the top end too. 
If wind is trying to rip me off my scooter.....that is a Signal that I need to slow down.
"Where I'm  at is more important to me - than where I could be if I were going faster. "
(I have only the medium women's T-shirts and small men's left in the burgundy...°¿°)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()