Author Topic: CVT rollers top speed question  (Read 3484 times)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: CVT rollers top speed question
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
yeah I did tire pressure is fine. still have stock tires on it.
man those 17g roller truly suck.

I believe that will get you back up to speed. One small thing, have you checked your tire pressure? I am absolutely with you on losing weight! (But spending money on parts is easier for me  :))

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
I did put 15g rollers back in. I reach about 51mph max. I think the 17g put me at 52-53mph max.
I don't know if its because they are more cheap rollers. but honestly I won't pay 50+usd for pulleys, just to learn that i get maybe +1mph.
I did replace the spark plug with NGK standart. before I had performance brisk plug. it sounded differently, and I think it prob gave me another 1-2mph.
so after doing, engine oil, cvt oil, valve adjustment, rollers, plug - I lost 1-2mph lol. (probably because of plug)

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 02:09:14 AM »
guys, so my wife, which weighs 80 pounds or so less, got EXACTLY the same speed as I - 52mph straight road. slight uphill thing drops to 48 or so.
something is wrong here.....I wonder if engine took some damage, some time ago, when I did oil change, only 200ml / 8oz came out.
I didn't check it forever then...I know those things eat oil even when new.....
I also noticed some oil residue on the CVT and air filter cover, no idea where this is coming out. engine sounds good......
how hard is to do carb/engine components stuff ?

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »
   Is your oil level OK right now? Did you replace the crush washer when you changed the oil and torque it to spec? If your oil level is OK, chances are you are not burning or leaking too much and that is a good thing. 
   Have you checked the "puke tube" for oil? That is the clear plastic tube that runs straight down from your breather towards the ground. Has a simple clamped cap on the end.
   The carb is a relatively simple and easy thing to work on in my opinion. A proper cleaning requires the jets to be cleaned with a fine wire and some cleaner. There are a lot of videos on this. Just look for GY6 carb cleaning.
   Oil on the outside of your CVT and air filter cover indicates an external leak somewhere. Oil inside the CVT cover would be much more problematic.  I would expect that scooter to have a gps verified max speed between 55 and 60 on flat ground.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »
guys, so my wife, which weighs 80 pounds or so less, got EXACTLY the same speed as I - 52mph straight road. slight uphill thing drops to 48 or so.

Weight has very little affect on top speed on level ground.  Weight affects acceleration and speed going up hill.  The reason big people tend to have lower top speeds is because they are bigger and create more wind resistance.  Weight does create sightly more rolling resistance but has a small affect compared to wind resistance at high speeds.  On the flip side a heavier person should be able to get higher speeds going down hill.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 01:27:14 AM »
Mr Paul: so i replaced the carb with chinese for .20 usd (thing sucks I know that).  emptied puke tube
the carb prob gave me -1mph at best lol. but doesn't die when cold/idle.
might clean the kymco one and put it back at some point.
going to to install  new fuel filter (chinese was leaking), have new variator, belt and clutch pad. if those things don't do it I'm done with this thing.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »
Mr Paul: so i replaced the carb with chinese for .20 usd (thing sucks I know that).  emptied puke tube
the carb prob gave me -1mph at best lol. but doesn't die when cold/idle.
might clean the kymco one and put it back at some point.
going to to install  new fuel filter (chinese was leaking), have new variator, belt and clutch pad. if those things don't do it I'm done with this thing.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Man, I admire your tenacity!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

lukasbasic

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:35 PM »
guys, every time I put a chinese part from ebay into this thing, the scoot looses 1-2mph. so after replacing variator the thing goes around 48mph on a straight road.
I'm done. will prob donate it or do a non operation once registration expires in september. after 5 years of heavy riding in busy city traffic this thing is beaten down badly overall. the steering column is loose, weird noises coming out everywhere, plastics are broken off. oil leaking somewhere. 5 years/8k on this thing is like 15-20 years on a car.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
guys, every time I put a chinese part from ebay into this thing, the scoot looses 1-2mph. so after replacing variator the thing goes around 48mph on a straight road.
I'm done. will prob donate it or do a non operation once registration expires in september. after 5 years of heavy riding in busy city traffic this thing is beaten down badly overall. the steering column is loose, weird noises coming out everywhere, plastics are broken off. oil leaking somewhere. 5 years/8k on this thing is like 15-20 years on a car.

I learned the hard way to replace parts with Kymco OEM. It saves money in the long run and preserves performance. My People has 14000 miles and still runs like a top. (With Kymco Parts) I hope you dont give up on riding. Go out there and find you another one!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
My Super 8 has over 28,000 miles on it.  Except for the air filter I have used OEM parts.  I made a foam air filter which can be washed and reused.  It doesn't seem to have any affect on performance. 

Mine normally will get up to about 68 on the speedometer.  That's the same top speed as when it was new.  I have seen 73 going downhill.

Still looking good for a 2009 with 28K miles on it:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:22:44 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
Lukas, it seems to me that if you make a speed run, then a lighter, more compact rider does, and gets the same speed, you must be running up against the cdi limiter, or, the gearing is the limitation.

Start doing the math on sprocket upgrades and see where the optimal balance is... Crudmuffins!  That ain't gonna work, here, is it.
OK, over-inflate both tires when She runs...  Then try a taller tire, on the rear drive tire.

It's possible, since the goal is top speed, level ground, you might shave the inside of the front variator so it closes together a little more, which will increase your ration  and go faster.

Make changes to the rear variator so it does not close inwards fully, to create a ratio better for high speed.

...and all this is gonna destroy your low end capability.  Sry...
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()