Author Topic: 2007 Grandvista starter continues to run when engine shut down  (Read 1826 times)

Carew

• View Profile
I'm having problems with the starter engaging when I go to shut off the engine.  The maintenance shop has replaced the starter relay twice but the problem persists.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Brik

• View Profile
Re: 2007 Grandvista starter continues to run when engine shut down
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:15:43 PM »
The starter button might be stuck in. Had that happen on my Motorcycle. The temporary fix for me was to pull the starter button back out after starting. The permanent fix for me was a new starter button. good luck

tastroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:34:32 AM »
  Mine did that a couple time and  after installing a fresh battery it's never happened again.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:22:01 AM »
It could be the starter clutch.  If that goes bad starter won't engage or disengage.  Never had this problem on my scoot.  Usually starter / starter relay problems are due to excessive cranking for a scoot that needs maintenance.
PaulC

OGBillyT63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:10:00 PM »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago on my 09 GV with only 1400 miles on it .  I actually started it to take it out and then turned the key to the off position and the starter kept running .  I tried to shut it down using the kill switch , then tried using the kick stand down but starter kept running on its own.   I figured I would go ahead with the ride and just keep the scoot running and see if it would correct itself.  Along the ride I stopped a few times to see if it would shut down without the starter running on it's own but the issue still remained.   I continued to think thank as long as I kept riding I would be okay until I got home and if need be I could pull the battery cables until I figured things out.  BAD idea!  Iwas in the middle of a state park when everything shut down .   There was no power to anything.   I did not have the tools along to pull things apart so I ended up getting a roll back to take us home .    The next day I researched the forum etc.  and a number of people said they had a stuck starter button or they put in a new starter relay or even a new battery.  I took out the battery as I suspected it was dead and put in a battery from my other scooter which I knew was good. I took the battery to the auto parts store to see if it still could hold a charge which it couldn't.  I ascertained that there was current being sucked out from somewhere ,  enough to kill the battery.  I then started with looking at the starter button inside the casing and after inspection and moving the button it appeared to okay ,  re attached everything and touched the cable to the battery again and the starter still came on with the key still in the off position.  I found the starter relay and disconnected the wires from it , removed it from the rubber boot it sits in and took the nuts that holds the cables from the battery off and then reattached the the wires and touched the cable to the battery again and to my amazement and delight the starter remained off until I turned the key to on and hit the start button.  So I put everything back in it's place and it has been fine ever since.  From other threads I was reading it seems that the relay is very sensitive to being grounded properly  and the right current going through it.   I have since then been taking short rides near home and using my iPhone plugged into the charging socket under the seat to check if it is giving a positive charge as I rode along,  which it has been so far.   I must say if it was not for the researching the forum I wouldn't have known where to start to fix the problem! 

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:46:09 AM »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago on my 09 GV ..  I must say if it was not for the researching the forum I wouldn't have known where to start to fix the problem!

Good stuff!
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()