Author Topic: High Risk - Low Risk  (Read 1874 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
High Risk - Low Risk
« on: March 28, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
Looking at this video

Got me think how I would rate my riding style -- High Risk, or Low risk? Having one crash too many I'm a defensive rider, but occasional I like to crank things up to near WOT just to see what my bike can do. That's rare, so I think I'm pretty Low risk. The kid in this video is just stupid and an At Risk rider, who's lucky to be alive. But it saw it as a wake up call for how things can go south if one doesn't ride with some level of skill and insight. Anyone ever decided to change how they ride based on a bad experience?

- Wolf

MJR

• View Profile
Re: High Risk - Low Risk
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
Those two guys on the motorcycle blew by him. Ouch. The Rastafarian arm band says he probably smokes a lot of weed. One of the things I tell people who ask me about riding a motorcycle is that you can NEVER let your guard down and AWLAYS pay attention anticipating stupid things people will do.

I can sometimes ride stupid myself and I have had a few close calls over the years riding but most of the time I take my own advise above.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:35:01 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:33:02 PM »
"The Rastafarian arm band says he probably smokes a lot of weed."

I have an 'arm'/wrist band just like that. One of my Bosses gave it to all employees as a souvenir after a trip she took to Jamaica. You should not jump to conclusions.

It appears that the rider glanced to his left (unknown reason) just prior to reorienting his sight forward/crashed into car.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
Yeah, not sure why he did a long shoulder glance instead of using his mirrors, but maybe there was someone, or thing in the opposing lane that freaked him. Still, dumb move on his part given his speed, and recklessness. Lucky he was wearing a full face helmet too.

- Wolf

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:26:07 PM »

I have an 'arm'/wrist band just like that. One of my Bosses gave it to all employees as a souvenir after a trip she took to Jamaica. You should not jump to conclusions.

It appears that the rider glanced to his left (unknown reason) just prior to reorienting his sight forward/crashed into car.

Here is a quote about Rastafarianism from Wikipedia;   "The Rastafari way of life encompasses the spiritual use of cannabis[3][4] and the rejection of the degenerate society of materialism, oppression, and sensual pleasures, called Babylon"  You may not partake of weed because you wear the band, but the religion promotes it. It would not be an unreasonable assumption that somenone who wears the Rastafarian symbol at least supports the use of cannabis or does not know  the religion or its practices.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:29 PM »
Here is a quote about Rastafarianism from Wikipedia;   "The Rastafari way of life encompasses the spiritual use of cannabis[3][4] and the rejection of the degenerate society of materialism, oppression, and sensual pleasures, called Babylon"  You may not partake of weed because you wear the band, but the religion promotes it. It would not be an unreasonable assumption that somenone who wears the Rastafarian symbol at least supports the use of cannabis or does not know  the religion or its practices.

:o ::) ;D
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:22:45 AM »

Here is a quote about Rastafarianism from Wikipedia;   "The Rastafari way of life encompasses the spiritual use of cannabis[3][4] and the rejection of the degenerate society of materialism, oppression, and sensual pleasures, called Babylon"  You may not partake of weed because you wear the band, but the religion promotes it. It would not be an unreasonable assumption that somenone who wears the Rastafarian symbol at least supports the use of cannabis or does not know  the religion or its practices. I am a child of the 70s'. I know tings mon.

2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »
thanks for posting vid, has no effect on me, kid was way past safe limits, just a matter of time before something bad happens like it did, hope he is OK, recovers OK, and becomes a better rider...
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »

We all know what Assume does, right?  ("Makes an As* out of you and me ).
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

MJR

• View Profile
Re: High Risk
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »

As Mr. Paul posted it's what Rastafarian represents, maybe people should understand that before they buy, wear or gift such things. True most people who aren't into it wouldn't understand that but that doesn't change the representation (like wearing a cross or anything else that may show your interests or beliefs). I'm certain the younger generation is more likely to equate it with weed vs. older people. Some would just assume is a Jamaican thing or think of Bob Marley (who smoked marijuana because he practiced the Rastafarian religion, wherein the use of "ganja" {the Rastafarian term for marijuana, taken from an old Sanskrit word} is a holy sacrament.).

Quote from: the web
prob·a·bil·i·ty
noun
the extent to which something is probable; the likelihood of something happening or being the case.

as·sume
verb
suppose to be the case, without proof.

Presume vs. Assume

Granted, the two words are basically used interchangeably in the modern English lexicon, so modern use implies that they mean the same thing. However, a little research indicates that they’re used in slightly different contexts.

Looking at the definitions of the two words shows that assume means to “suppose to be the case, without proof,” and presume means to “suppose that something is the case on the basis of probability”.

Now back to scooter talk...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:37:22 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »
I was using "assume" in the colloquial sense. Noww, back to scooter talk indeed.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 01:29:23 AM »
I hope that none of us rides on two or 4 wheels with such a lack of imagination as did that kid.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
Hopefully the lad learned his lesson and grew up. Stupidity is no respector of persons. Some of us,  present company included,  have acted with similar immaturity but wised up and learned our lessons....or....We hope so.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »
Did anyone notice the amount of cages crossing in front of him? That was not the place to find out what your scoot can do at fill bore. I hope the kids leaned from his stupidity. My problem is, as I grow older I want to sight see to much. Operating a cycle requires your full attention at ALL times. At busy intersections I always cover my brakes and I tested my stopping power at various speeds. Still it's the one you don't see that gets you. Everybody please ride safe.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
When my wife and I rider together she always berates me for not seeing landmarks or things we pass. I try to explain to her when she's riding with me I'm focused on the road and not on the sights. I hope to warm her up to the idea of letting me mount a camera on her helmet so afterwards I can see what she's talking about.

Given how fast the kid seems to be going I'm surprised he was conscious after his crash.

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()