Author Topic: Weird Stalling issue  (Read 1770 times)

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
Weird Stalling issue
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »
Hello xciting peeps. So I got my 2007 500 Carb version. It cold starts without issue it seems (the first start is a bit rough, but I get it to start below 40 F.) my issue is once I get it started and get it warmed up (gauge is about half way) and I let it idle, the RPM's drop below 1000 and the bike coughs and dies. It will start at a tap of the starter, but then die again. Now what I have tried is riding around. Took the bike for a 15 minute ride around town, it will die at stop lights and stop signs and sometimes even going down hills when it's slow enough without engine braking. This concerns me for safety reasons. Once I get it back in my driveway I park it, do a quick wipe down, and then pull it into the garage. This is what puzzles me. Once I start it again, the thing idles clean. Doesn't stall, doesn't cough. I'm so Confused. Any ideas?
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

willembop

• View Profile
Re: Weird Stalling issue
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
Mine was acting similar to your description. I turned up the idle speed just a little and that fixed it. The adjuster is a knob under a small removable panel below the seat IIRC. I think it is shown in the owners manual.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:35:59 AM »
Mine was acting similar to your description. I turned up the idle speed just a little and that fixed it. The adjuster is a knob under a small removable panel below the seat IIRC. I think it is shown in the owners manual.

Thats what I was thinking. When your first crank it, the choke is on supplying extra fuel to the carb. at idle. Once it warms up, the choke is off. Try turning the idle screw up and it would not hurt to run a little Seafoam through the carb to clean it up a little.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:35 AM »

Thats what I was thinking. When your first crank it, the choke is on supplying extra fuel to the carb. at idle. Once it warms up, the choke is off. Try turning the idle screw up and it would not hurt to run a little Seafoam through the carb to clean it up a little.

That's the puzzling thing. The idle screw is tightened as far as it will go.  :-\
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
Could be a little air leak then.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 09:34:33 PM »
Mike, did your scooter sit idle for a period of time? Do you use ethanol gas?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

TeamTEOR2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
The idle jet is clogged. It happened to me. You can try run some Seafoam, but it is best to just get it cleaned. My last two shops only charged me 30 mins shop time plus parts to fix it since I took the carb out of the bike.

willembop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
Another vote for clogged idle (or low speed) jet as TeamTEOR2 said. I've not had an Xciting 500 carburetor apart, but they are probably similar to others that I have worked on. The low speed jet has a very tiny hole that allows gas to flow at low engine speed. The smallest bit of anything can clog it up and cause the symptoms you describe. It's a pretty easy fix once you get the carburetor off.

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »
Run some fuel injection cleaner through it that will clean all types of gas. Sea foam won't do the trick. If you pop off the storage bucket you can loosen the 2 hose clamps and rotate the carb to/on it's side. Pop off the float bowl and there are the jets in plain sight. Look at a parts diagram for the carb at kymco parts monster, or who ever, un-screw the jet (idle) and clean it. Better yet spray out all jets while you are there. It's really easy to do. :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()