Author Topic: Anyone wear a modular hemet? Look at the Nolan N91  (Read 785 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Anyone wear a modular hemet? Look at the Nolan N91
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
My helmet is nearing the 5 year mark. This spring/summer I am going to replace my helmet. Any of you fine folks wear a modular helmet? I'm looking at the Nolan N91. If anyone has experience with this helmet can I trouble you for a review? Talks of other modular helmets is fine too.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone wear a modular hemet? Look at the Nolan N91
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
Trout,

I have the Nolan N104 EVO modular helmet in cab yellow and like it.
It replaced my white HJC modular.

I tried several helmets on and liked the 104 for several reasons.....and because the viewing area is much lower than other helmets that I tried. With the low cut-out I can see the instrument panel on my LIKE without lowering my head.....the chin bar is that low. I think the peripheral vision area is wider, too.

I have a giant head, (XXXXL in a HJC), XXXL in the Nolan for the same fit....plus it comes in two shell sizes, not just less padding for bigger heads.

It is relatively quiet, good ventilation, comes with a pin-lock and flip down dark visor that doesn't touch my nose.

I wear spectacles, have a big head and a handsome Roman nose to match - so only modular helmets work for me. I won't wear an open face helmet.

Opt for a hi-viz color if you can - our heads are the most visible things a drivers sees.
I added the checker strip which reflects at night....and which just might fool really dumb drivers into thinking I'm a (scooter) cop. (It's more convincing when I wear the summer checkered reflective vest a-la-UK policeman....and am on the Burgman.)

Stig
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:58:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
Definitely will go hi viz. I'll have to take a look at the 104 as well.

I've worn ff since the beginning. The modular would be nice as I can still have that ff protection with the added bonus of flipping up the chin guard at stops. 

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »
I have a bright yellow modular helmet I purchased from Cycle Gear last month. I will admit I was no fan of these full face helmet.
However, the helmet is very comfortable. I can use this as my summer, or winter helmet.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
Definitely will go hi viz. I'll have to take a look at the 104 as well.

I've worn ff since the beginning. The modular would be nice as I can still have that ff protection with the added bonus of flipping up the chin guard at stops. 

Yes, when I'm gassing up, etc. I flip up the chin bar - no fogging that way. At stop lights i only flip up the visor.
Plus when I dismount, I flip up the bar and enter my coffee shops.....they just figure I've parked my F-22 Raptor down the street.
(still recall their laughter when I flipped it up that one morning after some 30 miles at 24°F. Giant iced mustache, "Seemed like a good idea at the time, did it ?")
One can spend a lot more, and a lot less for a helmet. I figured I'd extend my budget a bit for the one head I've been issued.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 03:46:45 AM »
I had a Modular HJC IS-Max II when I had my accident. I'll simply say this. My head was uninjured. LOL. I can't remember how much I paid for it. But It was one of the fairly inexpensive ones.
2009 Xciting 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 04:40:23 AM »
I've had the IS Max (mk I) and currently sport an RPHA Max (HJC's fancy one).
They are different head shapes with the IS being rounder, the RPHA is notably more expensive & also about 20% lighter in my size (XL).
The IS Max was a good helmet, but the loss of a lb of weight on my neck is a good thing in this case. 
The RPHA does have less room for audio equipment, but is notably quieter.  Ventilation is also better on the RPHA.
I looked at Nolan's but didn't find them any better than what I bought for a lot more money at the time.  Might have changed by now of course.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »
All good info. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to several local shops if I can get out this weekend. Working on tax returns  :(

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()