Author Topic: Hot Butt  (Read 1712 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Hot Butt
« on: March 21, 2017, 01:27:48 PM »
Long rides on larger Maxiscooters like the Burgman and Silverwing are very comfortable and real mileage eaters as far as scooters go. Not as comfortable as the air ride suspension like my prior Goldwings but still acceptable for touring. I'd like to try a 300-400 mile ride on my Kymco but not until I figure out how to reduce the engine heat making my seat so hot. Thought about taking the seat box out and gluing foil insulation to the engine side or just fill it up with ice water.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:29:21 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Hot Butt
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:19 PM »
Hey Dan. Have you thought of an Airhawk seat cushion? Is is made of chambered air pockets that would suspend you above the seat and the air should help insulate your butt. And they are very comfortable and ideal for long rides.  They are pricey but I lucked out and found a hardly used one on Ebay.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:29:01 AM »
The Japanese make air conditioned pants.
Have seen them on ebay.
How about a kilt?
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:48:55 AM »
Hey Dan. Have you thought of an Airhawk seat cushion? Is is made of chambered air pockets that would suspend you above the seat and the air should help insulate your butt. And they are very comfortable and ideal for long rides.  They are pricey but I lucked out and found a hardly used one on Ebay.

I can kick myself for including an airhawk with the last Burgman I sold. Good idea and may start looking for one. I think I've got one of those wood beaded covers too that I may try. Most of my riding is to town to do errands, shopping and hitting the coffee shops as I'm not on the saddle more than 30-45 min. which is doable with a warm seat. Any further though will require a kilt or one of those Japenese briefs the Stig is touting.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
The Japanese make air conditioned pants.
Have seen them on ebay.
How about a kilt?
Stig

A kilt! Absolutely had me laughing out loud Stig! Bad visual though :o :o :o
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:04:01 AM »
Two days ago I went for a trip up to Quartzite, AZ in the desert at 90oF +. Hour and a half each way. Wore mesh jacket, boots, jeans and modular helmet. Back to the sun on way out. Very comfortable for temps. Facing the sun on the way home. At highway speed (60+ mph) was comfortable. Got to 55 mph near the city and became warmer in the body. Never did notice a hot bum. My People 300 always feels comfortable on the seat and never too hot. Great machine for what it is intended for which is a compromise city and highway machine. Love it.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:40:01 PM »
hey have you checked out your Rad.,   and any thing that could slow the air flow, threw the engine ,  My downtown only warm on very hot days , the sun is the only thing that heats the seat when parked,

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »
Make sure the air intakes, near your feet are clear.   Also, might want to peek underneath the scoot, there may be leaves or paper/cardboard stuck there.

Wish i could come up with a quip about 'hot butt', oh , wait, better that than your head ..... lol
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 04:08:06 AM »
Kilt nearly "kilt" me!  ;D

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
So, I can see all the Real Men ride in their kilt.

Here, that would surely bring a close encounter of the taxable kind. Or worse.

I've got a few ideas on cooling that seat.
1. Cut some airholes, towards the front, and some towards the rear for an exit.
2. Employ some sort of stand-offs where the seat is hinged, and latched, and perhaps the major weight bearing points.
    ( I dunno how tall, whatever it takes to leave a gap between the seat and frame/side panel to get some air in there. )
3. Similar to Stig's rear fender thingy, to keep dirt from the engine, but in reverse, put in a bent piece of tin or plastic to duct a little bit
    of breeze towards the exit from that under-seat area, to enhance airflow and create negative air pressure towards the rear  ??
Good luck
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()