Author Topic: Lithium Battery dies about every 3rd ride.  (Read 1983 times)

frogseatflies

• View Profile
Lithium Battery dies about every 3rd ride.
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
I've got a 20007 Kymco People 150.   About two years ago I replaced my dead Lead battery with a Deltran BatteryTender Lithium BTL09A120C.    I figured newer technology and a lighter battery would be awesome. 

Basically, I can ride the scooter around town for about 3 rides and then the battery will be too low to start.   To prevent a too-low battery while I'm out, I put the recommended BatteryTender trickle charger on it.     I must have a pretty high tolerance for inconvenience... because only now, 2 years later, am I ready to get to the bottom of the issue.   

Does this battery not work with the Kymco charging system?   Should I go back to a lead battery?  Any thoughts?

The battery specs are below.   I've also attached images.

Specifications: Voltage: 12 Volt; Cold Cranking Amps: 120; Lead-Acid Replacement Range: 7-9(Ah); Operating temperature: 40 - 140 Degree (Fahrenheit); Max Charge Rate: 10 Ampere

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Lithium Battery dies about every 3rd ride.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »
My first thought is the bike isn't charging it. Would think maybe it's more likely a issue with the rectifier/regulator or stator. What is the battery voltage with the bike idling and rev'd up?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »
First of all, I wouldn´t "bridge" the plus- and minus-pole in that battery cage. Neither with a piece of foam. We want to keep these two points strictly apart and divided.  ;D

You should get a Voltmeter or a Multimeter and measure the Voltage under various different conditions. Off, idle, reved up, after reloading, after 3 days when being low. You need to find out if your rectifier/regulator is doing its job properly. From time to time they go bad.

And then you should check and make sure that the ground cables (green) are not corroded and have blank and clean and good contact to the frame, the engine and the battery. Your scooter seems to show some signs of corrosion on the picture.

Maybe you have a leakage current somewhere in the system. That´s probably the toughest thing to find.
You might also want to grease all electrical wire harness connectors (on the inside!) with saltwaterresistant marine grease generously.

And last but not least you should be aware of not overstressing your electrical system on that tiny little scooter with extra lights, extra strong headlight lamps, heated grips, and so on and so forth.

This now has nothing to do with electrics, but is intended to be a safety advice: Check your tires for fissures on the sidewall. On your second picture I thought that I have seen some fissures. But not sure. If the tires are as old as the scooter, you better replace them soon.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:17 AM »
There does seem to be problems with using lithium batteries in vehicles, probably due to the charging systems used by those vehicles. I race rc trucks here using multi-cell lithium batteries. They require a special charger that is able to monitor and balance charge each cell. If I charge not in the balance mode, the capacity of the battery is much lower each time it charges. This may be the problem with your charging system on the scooter as it will not be a balance charger. The only solution I can see is to go back to a quality lead-acid battery. Our Kymco (and probably others) do not like a low battery voltage for running and especially starting. Just a suggestion as to the cause.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
I don´t know enough about these "battery tender" products, but I think these vehicle batteries all have a built in cell balancer already. At least that would make sense. My Shido battery does have a built in cell balancer and has been working like a charme for almost 2 years now. 3-years warranty.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »
Do you leave the key in the scooter while parked at the house with the key in the on position? Are all battery cable contacts clean? Do you run electrical accessories? Did you take the battery to local auto parts store for free testing? Do you make very short trips? I would start there as a diagnosis chain. If those are eliminated, then your scooter is not charging enough. I suspect you have a bad battery or a bad connection. Please let us know what you find out.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

frogseatflies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »
I do not leave the key in.  The terminals look good but I'll check.   I just replaced the rear tire and the headlamp.   Still having the electrical drainage issue.    Fully charged I'm reading about 13.35v.    After one trip across town and back with a few electric starts, I was down to 13. 20v.    Took a few a couple more trips and I was down to 12.85v.     I'm going to replace the rectifier/regulater.... and also check my battery and ground electrical connections and clean them.   I'll report back in.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »
Measure the voltage across the battery with the engine running at ~1/8 throttle (~3,000RPM). You should read 14-16 VDC. If not, you have a charging system problem. If you do read voltage in this range, contact the battery manufacturer (I'm assuming that you've read the manual that came with the battery) and let them help you.
I have Shorai batteries in seven vehicles with NO issues.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
Frog, it is better to test and try to determine what is wrong, THEN replace the faulty part. You could do like the dealer techs and start throwing parts at the problem......

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:57 PM »
See if you can pull the battery and take it to the auto parts store to have it tested. Chances are, its the battery. If you need a replacement I recommend the AGM gel type, preferably a YUASA brand.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
Unlike lead-acid batteries, LiIon batteries can discharge many times without damage.
Unless your local parts shop is very familiar with LiIon batteries, I wouldn't let them touch it.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

frogseatflies

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 05:15:55 AM »
SOLUTION:  Replace the voltage regulator / rectifier.    They're about $20.   I replaced mine.  The hardest part was figuring out it's location.  It's in the front.

I charged my battery to 13.22volts.
Then replaced the voltage regulator.
Returned home and checked the battery and it was at 13.35v.     (It used to drop about .25v every time I used the scooter.  So on this particular test drive, it would have, in its defective state, dropped from 13.22v to 13v... but instead it came back higher!   If I keep driving, maybe it'll get it up to 120v and I can power the house.)

Yay! I can put away the battery charger.   

Here's a video to show the location of the voltage regulator:

https://youtu.be/af_fuHsAyOc

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
The problem with powering the house with your 120v scooter battery is that home appliances prefer alternating current.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:08:48 AM »
The problem with powering the house with your 120v scooter battery is that home appliances prefer alternating current.

Ah but if you could take it directly from the stator or how about a inverter.

Had a feeling it was a charging issue, glad you got her fixed up.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »
Eureka !

The dawn of the scooter powered domicile !

Elon Musk ain't got nuthin on this group !
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()