Author Topic: 2017 LIKE to have ABS ?  (Read 527 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
2017 LIKE to have ABS ?
« on: March 17, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
I do not know how accurate this is, but this Italian web site is writing that the new 2017 LIKE will have Bosch ABS braking.! I hope they're correct and we do get ABS on the new LIKE....but cannot find a KYMCO reference to ABS  , and the photos seem to show a 3 piston combined braking system on the new LIKE, not ABS. Perhaps the Italians are confusing CBS with ABS?

MOTO.IT :
"Classic model that is renewed in the tradition of the style, the Kymco Like has as natural setting the city. The engine is redesigned: a 1.4 kW, linear and earns 4 V sweet. A bearing cam and rocker interface, reducing the mechanical clutches, while the new head is lightened. Other benefits are due to the optimization of camshaft and balance to its support, the use of a helical gear transmission, the aspiration contained in a resonance Chamber and to the renewed tensioner design. Renovated double cradle frame, too, stayed ahead and under the platform, to lower the center of gravity. Suspensions see the front forks with 33 mm and 95 mm excursion; at the rear, two three-stage shock absorbers with 86 mm. Braking is assisted by ABS Bosch 9.1 M. Look, the new Like you recognize for the alloy wheels in ten races, two tone leather saddle and LED lights. In Panel room for a helmet and other small accessories. countershield, the glove box can be opened only with key inserted and hangs with the steering lock. The tank is now in the front position, more practice. "

I cannot find the specs for the wheelbase for the new LIKE, but it will feature a 50cc, 124.8cc & a 4 valve 150cc engine.

It is listed at 5KG lighter, with a 5mm lower seat, 5mm wider, 12mm longer & 35mm higher.
I have read that Europe has or will soon require ABS on smaller engined scooters...so, perhaps the new LIKE will have ABS on the 125 & 150 versions.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 LIKE to have ABS ?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
Here is the simple answer at least for Europe:

Scooters/Bikes with 125cc must have CBS from 2017 on. So the new Like 125cc will have CBS - because it must have. New regulations by law. But definately not ABS. Scooters/Bikes with more than 125cc must have ABS. And the only manufacturer herefore in the bikes segment at this time is BOSCH. That´s why it will come from BOSCH. :-) So the new Like 150ccm - if available somewhere at all one day - will and must have a BOSCH ABS.  :)
I don´t know about the 50cc Scooters/Bikes, but I guess they need neither CBS nor ABS. So business as usual.

Bye the way, that´s why the scooters/bikes new registrations statistics for 125cc and above went up significantly by the end of 2016 in Europe. Dealers did a one day registration to themselves with all the leftover scooters/bikes, so that they were allowed to sell them also in 2017 without CBS / ABS.
That´s a nice trick to bypass the new law and regulations.... because these scooters/bikes are officially used now. And for used scooters/bikes the new regulation is not applicable.

The methods of the con artists...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:40:29 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »
Thanks Robo for clearing that up for us.  8)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »
Yes, thanks Robo!
Clears that up.
You know, I bet both the 125 and the 150 engines will have a top speed very close the the 163cc. I consider the 163cc to be an unstressed engine designed for simplicity, economy of manufacture and longevity.

A 4 valve 150 will probably embarrass the 2 valve 163.
Thing is, I'm never in a hurry & hate speeding in a car or a scooter....so I love my LIKE. Which is why I fairly worshiped the orig. VW Beetle for the decades I owned one. Unstressed design & not quick.
I don't fault my LIKE, but rather fault local roads that won't permit me to safely venture into the countryside. If you can't go 60mph you are a target in the middle of the day.

I am more comfortable doing 75-80mph on the Burgman than trying for a steady 60 on the LIKE.

If I'm not carrying a passenger - any well built 150cc scooter would probably suit my riding style just fine.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()