Author Topic: LIKE200i rear wheel removal #2  (Read 16338 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
LIKE200i rear wheel removal #2
« on: March 13, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
I refitted the wheel, fender hugger, fork, brake, shock, exhaust, airfilter box, 02 sensor, and brake line support.

I expected three jobs to be trouble....Two were, one wasn't.

1) slipping wheel back on axle without beating up axle or wheel mating surfaces -- with shock still in place....
Solution: I brought the wheel in from the rear, between the two shocks and maneuvered it up & into place on the axle.

2) fishing the exhaust back into the scooter, and placing over the front studs.
Solution: I placed a mirror under the scoot to view the studs, and hung the rear of the muffler on a loop of string from the rear rack. This way I could float the pipe onto the studs...and get those nuts loosely started. All fasteners finger tight until I had all of them in place ...then tightened each in rotation - front to back.

3) refitting the tire hugger....with the airfilter box propped up with some foam padding the hugger aligned itself easily back in place. Put the hex screw on a magnetic wand & reached in and started the threads.

Wheel on the axle and fork in place with the new spacer, collar, washer and nut.

Fender hugger on....

Shock remounted....

Caliper remounted....

All back together.

Stig

PS: sure would be nice if that was a slip-on muffler!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:49:13 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: LIKE200i rear wheel removal #2
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
I have found that I will keep a big piece of cardboard around, in case I need to lay on the garage floor to get to those exhaust bolts.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
Chapeau, chapeau! Job done - successfully.  :) 8)
Very interesting, creative approaches and solutions to the 3 expected challenges.

My challenge - maybe soon - will be to try to keep it even a little bit more simple. I want to find the quickest, easiest and simpliest way to do the job removing and reinstalling the tire. For instance I would want to leave the fender hugger in place, just remove the right side screw. Just want to move it up and out of the way as much as needed - if possible.
I would also deflate the tire on removal and reinstall and try to squeeze it as necessary to get passed the shock, the dipstick and underneath the fender hugger from the right side.
Maybe I will need to remove both shock bolts to lower the rear wheel even a little bit more to get it done sucessfully. And maybe put a piece of wooden board underneath the mainstand just to jack it up a little bit more and get a few more inches of ground clearance.
To reinstall the pipe onto the studs, I will try to mount  the rear of the muffler with just one bolt loosely to the rear fork, so I might be able to swing the pipe onto the studs.
And yes, I will also have to lay on the floor for the pipe/stud operation. So therefore the hint with the cardbords is for sure valuable.

So far so good in theory.  ;D Reality check to be followed...  ??? :o :)
And maybe I will also write a report about it.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »
Did you replace the valve stem with similar 90 degree angle type?

Nice write up Stig. Thanks for sharing.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:01:34 PM »
I have found that I will keep a big piece of cardboard around, in case I need to lay on the garage floor to get to those exhaust bolts.
Yep, Have been using card board for years for auto-work.....but working on scooters and motorcycles is so low and so much knee work....that I went out and bought a very thick 2' x 6' exercise mat at Dick's to kneel on.

30 years of painting and construction work + a knee operation....I'm telling you, that was the best $29 I've spent in a while!

One more tool I might ask for Xmas or my B.Day, is a visor light to fix on my Red Sox hat. 3 times I was needing an extra hand to see things like the O2 harness connector, off-side hugger screw, and the exhaust studs in the mirror.

And I frequently have trouble deciphering how each different Oriental wiring clip must be released. (Honda, Kymco, Suzuki have their own ideas) Squeez where, lift here, presswhat??....and is extra frustrating if no 3rd hand to hold flash light.

Lots of hot coffee and hand warming time-outs due to tools, floor and garage being in the low 20's all day.
It was good that no plastic panel clips were involved....would have had to postpone.

THE best panel removal pix I've ever seen are on this page, by this industrious Forza owner. He pulled his whole new scooter apart to see how things worked. Fearless clip & panel man!
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3058&p=43161&hilit=panels#p43161

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
Did you replace the valve stem with similar 90 degree angle type?

Nice write up Stig. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Trout,
No, I have a 90 degree air hose fitting and a 90 degree pressure gauge.
I'm leery of those 90 degree valve stems, because of the high speeds I ride.  ;)
[Once in my mirror I saw my scoot fling one off and hole the radiator of a following F-350 Dually. I only just escaped down an off ramp before his buddy Skeeter got the assault weapon they use for squirrel hunting out of the gun rack.
Things are different here in the MidWest.]
I did remember to call the Vespa tech. since I forgot to mention a new valve stem. He put in a reg. shorty straight stem.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »
Excellent, Stig! You are the one to rewrite the service manual!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
Yes Karl, and nobody needs to buy the Cyclepedia repair manual anymore, because it´s all documented in this forum for free and better than ever before  by our famous most senior technician Stig from Ohio.  :) ;)

And I always admire Stig´s commitment to do all that kind of demanding service work in a cold garage in the low 20´s.
My comfortzone probably starts in the 70´s.  :D 8)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:21:28 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »
Thanks Trout,
No, I have a 90 degree air hose fitting and a 90 degree pressure gauge.
I'm leery of those 90 degree valve stems, because of the high speeds I ride.  ;)
[Once in my mirror I saw my scoot fling one off and hole the radiator of a following F-350 Dually. I only just escaped down an off ramp before his buddy Skeeter got the assault weapon they use for squirrel hunting out of the gun rack.
Things are different here in the MidWest.]
I did remember to call the Vespa tech. since I forgot to mention a new valve stem. He put in a reg. shorty straight stem.
Stig

LMAO. I needed that today. :)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Instead of cardboard I use a giant beach towel. Needless to say my wife isn't pleased.   ;D 

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
As long as you don´t drag the bedrooms mattress into the garage and underneath your scooter I could pretty well get along with a beach towel if I were your wife.  ;D
Cheers,
Robo

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »
Should add the beach towel was brand new.  ;D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Should add the beach towel was brand new.  ;D

Ohhh. Bad idea.
(BTW, when I purchased the exercise mat at Dick's - the cheery sales girl smiled & said "Have fun with those sit-ups!" as I was leaving.

I laughed all the way to the car!)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
Excellent, Stig! You are the one to rewrite the service manual!

Karl

No, really - Cyclepedia has such nice color photos of the LIKE200i that it gives you a good idea how to go about things. I use their printed manual (photos less good) to keep things straight in my head...& keeps my donut off the garage floor. If you're going to be down there a long time --- a roll of toilet paper is a good pillow & saves a stiff neck.
Cyclepedia does often suggest that 25% more stuff needs to come off -- than is a reality. Since they're not paying me by the hour - I look for short-cuts.
I do wish KYMCO would give the dealer a book of service times -- rather than leaving things up to a tech. who may never have worked on a LIKE200i.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 02:23:47 AM »
Do all the Kymco Likes have dual rear suspension? The through axle would make a trailer hitch easier than on the Agility.
Become the best you can with what you have.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()