Author Topic: Moto Gymkhana on a Super 8  (Read 888 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Moto Gymkhana on a Super 8
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
For the third time I got to participate in a really fun event put on by the Alabama Traffic Safety Center.

This event is held about 130 miles from my house.  I did it the first time on my Aprilia Sport City 250.  Then I did it next time on my Kawasaki Versys.  I really wanted to do it this time on my Super 8.  It's a two hour ride on the interstate but that was not a practical idea for my Super 8.  Also it was forecast to be below freezing in the morning so....

I drove most of the way, parked in a Wally World parking lot, unloaded the scooter and rode the rest of the way.  The ride was about 15 miles of nice back roads.

I have always enjoyed this event but this time was the most fun.  A lightweight scooter is the best way to do this.

I let a friend try out my Super 8

More pics on a different course.  They had four courses ranging from beginner to expert.

I don't have any video of me but here is one of a really good rider on the expert course:

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Moto Gymkhana on a Super 8
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »
Nice, sounds like that guy needed to refinish his chrome when he was done but impressive riding, reminds me of the video of the motorcycle cop running a course in a fully dressed bike.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »
There were a few motorcycle cops there.

In the three times I have been there I never saw any other scooters.  The most common bikes were Harleys and Gold Wings. 

Here's one of the Gold Wings:

And a metric cruiser:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:27:16 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »
It just seems funny to me doing a course on a bike that if you lean it more than a few inches it's dragging plastic or chrome. :-)
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
MJR you may already know this, but the fastest time even on the Dragon"s Tail, from the top to  Deals Gap was done on a Harley dresser. He teaches a M/C safety class.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 03:26:04 AM »
MJR you may already know this, but the fastest time even on the Dragon"s Tail, from the top to  Deals Gap was done on a Harley dresser. He teaches a M/C safety class.

Mac

No way a Harley dresser, no matter how good the rider could come close to what some of the sport bike and super moto guys do on this road.  While there are some pretty good Harley riders out there, Harleys simply don't have the ground clearance to go real fast around the curves.  I don't know who told you this but I have to raise the BS flag on this bit of info. 

I have followed a number of Harleys on the curvy roads in the area around Deal's Gap and even when they are dragging hard parts in the curves it is not hard to keep up with them and I'm not nearly as fast as the really fast guys are. 

Gymkhana on the other hand is different.  At this last one there wasn't a single real sport bike even there.  Sportbikes with their limited steering lock often can't even physically make it through the course. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:28:37 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()