Author Topic: Good news/bad news  (Read 2017 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Good news/bad news
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:33:42 AM »
Good news: I have an 85 year old mother, 3 older brothers, and 3 older sisters who have been with me through my entire ordeal of my accident, amputation, and subsequent recovery. And they love me very much and have become VERY protective of their "baby brother " and his safety.

Bad news: see above [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Every so often to test the waters, I imply that I'm not very fearful of getting on a scooter again, and I see them nearly STOP BREATHING. So I'll just leave it alone for now. Yes, at age 52 I'm very much old enough to make my own decision in this matter. However, I'm also smart and considerate enough to remember the look in my oldest brother's eyes, the fatigue in my middle sister's face, and the sight of my mother preparing and serving 3 meals a day for me. They were the ones who were there daily from day one because they live here.

Therefore, I'll put any plans fir riding again on hold until such a time that the very thought of me riding anything on two wheels other than a BICYCLE no longer causes them to stop breathing. Lol.

But given the situations where I see people who have NO ONE to care about them, I'll choose my situation any day.

Just thinking and sharing. My blessings outweigh my burdens by a WIDE MARGIN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Good news/bad news
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:14:40 AM »
You are a very rich man indeed.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
You are a very rich man indeed.
Yes. I truly am. My material wealth may be slim. But I am truly rich in the ways that really count.

2009 Xciting 250

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
Forbes, you my friend are a bright spot here on this forum. Whenever I log on and see your recent post I go there directly and always feel inspired. We are honored by your presence here. Thank you Forbes for your gifts and blessings.

Dan
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
it's too easy for too many people to act selfishly...it takes real maturity to understand how others feel and to act accordingly.

I know it's hard when you really want to do something...but with your big family that cares about their little brother...you're doing the right thing.

No hurry...there will be time to ride again, someday.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful support system. Many many years ago I was in a motorcycle accident and like you my family was there for me. Your decision to ride again won't be without its guilt. I think about my mom whenever I ride and how worried she gets for me. It's what keeps me ultra vigilant while out riding.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:36:25 PM »
Good man indeed. Now I'll go against the grain here.

I understand your thoughts as after a spinal cord injury those that cared for me had to literally wipe my ass.

It's called "egg shelling" and it's very common. Loved ones in their quest to help a disabled relative, friend etc start to treat them like fine china. Careful he might break. It's well meaning but counterproductive in the long run.

Fact is you are already broken and they are not. Everyday is a risk for the ABs as they have everything to lose. We on the other hand have everything to gain. Once you've been motionless for a while perspective changes.

I'd say if you want to ride explain why to those around you and expect that they will not understand. Pray they are never in the position to understand......

Ive had many well meaning people try to keep me from riding, skiing, skydiving and the like. Fact is my SCI empowered me. That's not saying I wouldn't turn the clock back if I could and be amoung the healthy.

You can't make others happy unless you are happy. I wish you the best.

Roll on brother.
AMAC
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:38:00 PM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
Forbers, it's good that you have family that love you and are concerned for your health and safety. Looking at it from their perspective, you and all of us can understand their concern about you riding again. I'm sure they are also concerned for your happiness as well and if it pleases you to be able to riding again, then  they will give you their blessings, be it ever so reluctant. Then it falls on you to be very very careful as you enjoy your rides This situation will be in my prayers. your fellow rider,

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »
Forbes, you are a good man and you certainly come from good folks. I know and trust you are doing the right thing. God bless you all and hug Mamma for me! Please stay on the forum. We need your heart here.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:58 PM »
Good man indeed. Now I'll go against the grain here.

I understand your thoughts as after a spinal cord injury those that cared for me had to literally wipe my ass.

It's called "egg shelling" and it's very common. Loved ones in their quest to help a disabled relative, friend etc start to treat them like fine china. Careful he might break. It's well meaning but counterproductive in the long run.

Fact is you are already broken and they are not. Everyday is a risk for the ABs as they have everything to lose. We on the other hand have everything to gain. Once you've been motionless for a while perspective changes.

I'd say if you want to ride explain why to those around you and expect that they will not understand. Pray they are never in the position to understand......

Ive had many well meaning people try to keep me from riding, skiing, skydiving and the like. Fact is my SCI empowered me. That's not saying I wouldn't turn the clock back if I could and be amoung the healthy.

You can't make others happy unless you are happy. I wish you the best.

Roll on brother.
AMAC
I guess I'm choosing my battles and my timing carefully. My family is healing along with me. I use humor when speaking of my injuries and my prosthetic as well as some of my awkward challenges. Very recently. My oldest brother INITIATED a joke concerning my prosthetic. He was very proud of himself. Then he said "see? I'm getting there." I ended up giving HIM an "atta boy " lol.

I think that by the time the urge becomes irresistible, they will have healed to the point where they can accept it.. For the time being, I'm Content to impress them by driving my 5 speed Ford Ranger and by showing them my prowess on my tractor. Lol

2009 Xciting 250

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 12:02:59 AM »
I guess I'm choosing my battles and my timing carefully. My family is healing along with me. I use humor when speaking of my injuries and my prosthetic as well as some of my awkward challenges. Very recently. My oldest brother INITIATED a joke concerning my prosthetic. He was very proud of himself. Then he said "see? I'm getting there." I ended up giving HIM an "atta boy " lol.

I think that by the time the urge becomes irresistible, they will have healed to the point where they can accept it.. For the time being, I'm Content to impress them by driving my 5 speed Ford Ranger and by showing them my prowess on my tractor. Lol

Humor is big, if you don't laugh you cry.
many a wife of a amp has told me that when hubby pisses them off they'll hide the leg,lol.

This dude has a tat that's one of the best. First time I met the guy a just laughed my butt off.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:05:28 AM »
Humor is big, if you don't laugh you cry.
many a wife of a amp has told me that when hubby pisses them off they'll hide the leg,lol.

This dude has a tat that's one of the best. First time I met the guy a just laughed my butt off.

AMAC
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 03:58:13 AM »
Perhaps some ideas that may keep the family breathing: How about a three wheel motor machine? Alternatives range from the Piaggio MP3 of various sizes to Can-Am Spyder to Honda Goldwing or HD trikes. All give the open air feel and wheeling feeling. Another suggestion may be an open four wheeler from a small sporty (Miata) to a Lambourgini (yah on your salary!!!). Some thoughts to keep the mind active.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
Perhaps some ideas that may keep the family breathing: How about a three wheel motor machine? Alternatives range from the Piaggio MP3 of various sizes to Can-Am Spyder to Honda Goldwing or HD trikes. All give the open air feel and wheeling feeling. Another suggestion may be an open four wheeler from a small sporty (Miata) to a Lambourgini (yah on your salary!!!). Some thoughts to keep the mind active.
I really like the can-Am , and would consider it. But I Can-Not Even think of affording one. Lol. I like the "reverse tricycle" because it looks like that in the event of the type of accident I had, the cycle would take the hit before the rider.

I wish a low price, high quality manufacturer would make something like that. It would not have to be nearly as fast as the Can-Am .
(You listening KYMCO?)

2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:53:03 PM »
Problem solved Forbes! Heres a good solution;   ;D

http://herringfarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BlazingSaddles_HD03.png
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!