Author Topic: remove LIKE200i rear wheel - ADVICE?  (Read 917 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
remove LIKE200i rear wheel - ADVICE?
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »
Hey LidoCa or any other LIKE200i owner :
Getting ready to remove the rear wheel on my LIKE to install a new Michelin City Grip and R&R the rear brakes - anything that may be a problem or any special tips or advice that I need to know before I set to this job ?
Have ordered a new fork bearing - and will install it as well - to insure another 4 yrs of smooth rolling back there.
Thanks in advance,
Stig
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:44:52 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: remove LIKE200i rear wheel - ADVICE?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:19:36 AM »
Pls, pls, pls do a Photo- and or a Video- tutorial on this job! For all of us here.  :) 8)

Hints:
If you have a new spare gasket for the exhaust manifold flange to the head, I would use one this time.
Grease the manfold bolts with copperpaste or never seez/anti seiz.  ;)
Grease the pins of the brake calipper with never seez or copperpaste - especially the threads. Good for winter- and raindriders.
Grease the wheel shaft with never seez for easier removal of the wheel and the fork next time.
Heat the fork with a heatgun, so that the bearing might fall out by its own.
Grease the mounting bolts of the muffler to the fork.
If your brakefluid is full now, pump a little bit out with the brake lever! before you push back in the pistons and install the new pads.

Personaly I wouldn´t want to go exactly by the Cyclepedia manual. I would try to leave the side parts on and the shock. Just jack the scooter up higher in the middle and loosen both lower shock bolts and then swing/sway the whole gear/engine part a few inches further down, so you might get passed the right shock easier without removing it completely. Don´t know if that could work, because the frame is still in the way, but it might simplify it a little bit.

Have fun! Can´t wait for your perfect report on success.  :D :) ;) 8)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:33:35 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:12:05 AM »
Hey Robo,
I see you ,too, have given this some thought.
3 yrs ago I loosened the header nuts and anti-seized the threads, did the same to the brake pins; purchased a couple new exhaust gaskets and brake pads for a future job. (also belts, rollers, gaskets, plugs, bulbs and even a new clutch assembly w/bell - the prices were good from a dealer folding - and in case Kymco quit the States)
I hope I won't have to take the head panels off to remove some brake fluid - Kymco could have made those reservoir tops flush with an opening in the panels, as some scooters are. Would look cool and make things a lot easier - doubt many LIKE owners are checking their brake fluid levels since the sight window is buried  in there!

Ordering the new City Grips and awaiting the bearing....but I can start the process in the mean time, warm temps permitting in the garage. Will have camera standing buy.

Wish me luck with my knees.....which is now the main constraint to scooter servicing.
(LidoCa does this all the time!)
Stig

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:43:50 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
Tom,
so then this looks to me like a pretty easy home run for you.  ;) :) Or an easy relaxing walk on the beach.  8)

Your absolutely right about the issue with the brake fluid reservoir. Stupid construction. And unfortunately they continue this unhappy solution on the new Like model. This is really annoying. Maybe there is a possibility to cut a rectangular window out and close it afterwards with a proper rubber cover. Or a DIY cover made by a 3D Printer. But as I wrote, just open the nipple at the caliper and press as much as needed out with the brake lever. So you won´t need to take off the head cover.  ;) But you will need to hire an assistant into your garage... (would love to be your assistant)  :) Or you use a vaccum pump on the nipple. Take your time, recheck once in a while, so that you don´t take out too much accidentally.

Yes, I have given this some thoughts too, because I also will need to take the same road one day. But I try to put some more 5000km on my actual rear tire, so that it will be a nice job for the next winterperiod.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:04:02 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
I removed the rear wheel on my People S200 over the winter and it was a pretty easy job. I would assume our machines are somewhat similar underneath?

Muffler and exhaust comes off with a few bolts...the rear bracket with bearing ( blanking on the real name) was easy...I did have to remove the plastics to get at the top bolt on the shock...but that is pretty painless as I've done it a number of times. The shock had to be removed completely, I couldn't just swing it out of the way...and the rear tire hugger had to go, too.

Take pics if you can...would like to see this.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()