Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 1419 times)

Ozo

• View Profile
New Guy
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
My first scooter was a 2011 Chinese POC but was worth the $120 I paid. I have been riding nearly every day and enjoy it a lot. Now, I wish to upgrade and am looking seriously at a 2003 People 50. It is the only Kymco 50 on Craigslist near me. It is in perfect condition with 7k miles. Has new carb, windscreen, and buddy seat. The price is $800. Does this sound fair and is a 2003 too old (7k)? Should I keep looking, I am really anxious to pull the trigger on the purchase. :)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:55:59 PM by Ozo »

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
Welcome Ozo! My gut feeling is that 800 bucks is a little high for a 50cc. Being a 2003 is not that big of an issue. Kymco makes good stuff. If the odometer says 7000 it is KILOMETERS, not miles. So if the odometer reads 7000 it has only 4,300 miles on it. Have they replaced the tires? If not I would not think of riding on tires that are 14 years old. I have a 2009 Kymco People 150 and can highly recommend the 150.  If you are set on that particular bike and it has good newer tires, I would offer them 700 for it and I think they would be fortunate to get it. I would also suggest you post this in the general discussion forum. You will get a lot more responses there. Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!   Paul
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:21:31 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Ozo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
The mileage was stated in the ad as 7k miles but you are right as there is a photo of the odometer at 7k. 4k miles is much better. :) Your reply regarding oil injection is an other favorable point. :)

Also, you are right about the tires. I have not inquired to see if they are the original tires but have been shopping for those already. I see nylon tires (Shinko) for $43 but Pirelli tires at $75 state that they are their special formula and wet/dry performance is enhanced as well as longevity. I may start a thread on that in the General forum but am pretty sure I would get the Pirelli tires. Problem is I do not see those in the stock size for the front (80/80) only 100/80 which is correct for the rear from what I have read so far.

The ad for the scooter has been up for 10 days so they may be willing to haggle but if they say no I am going for it any way. I am set on the 50cc type as I have been very satisfied with that for riding around Titusville, Fl which has little traffic and few high speed streets. My only other option for a 50cc scooter in this price range is Chinese and they do not have the classic style which I favor. Other classic style 50cc scooters like Piaggio Vespa and Honda Classic are available but are more money (1k-1.5k) and $800 is all I will pay.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:58:39 PM by Ozo »

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:29:07 PM »
Best of luck on the deal Ozo! Let us know if you get the bike. I could give you some good pointers about tires etc.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Ozo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:28 PM »
Best of luck on the deal Ozo! Let us know if you get the bike. I could give you some good pointers about tires etc.
Thanks for the offer. I am still looking and discovered if I search on craigslist for "Kymco scooter" instead of 50cc scooter I get a lot more options. One that stands out is several Agility 50's from a downsizing rental place nearby. The scooters have 5k-7k on the odometer but are running well. They are 2012 models. I really like the classic look of the People but Agility is not bad if the color scheme is not too flashy. O, and they are $525 not $800. I really like the flip up seat back too. Oddly they are a few blocks from the People 50 I have been looking at. Too bad they have smaller wheels. I may still get the People model.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:00:39 AM by Ozo »

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
is the Agility 50 4T?, if so performance will be a lot less than People 50 2T.  I know performance is not an issue with you, but you may be surprised how slow these are if your previous scooter was 2T.

also, good idea to keep looking, and educate yourself some more about scooters.  when I got interested in scooters I shopped CL and when saw something interesting I researched it on web.  very good place for more information about a specific scooter is motorscooterguide.net.  that's how I figured out Kymco's are great scooters, and around here can be had for less $'s.

a couple of other good brands to look at are Sym and Genuine.  Good luck, have fun looking.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Ozo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:33:34 PM »
Unfortunately the 2t sold last night and my check comes tomorrow. Another one further out was sold for $400.

The lesson here is to have your money ready  so you can lay it down and seal the deal when it arises.

I viewed the Agility 50's mentioned above and they were rough looking with some damaged paint, faded plastics, weak starting (a little gas please), Dangerous stock tire shape but time for new ones anyway. Worth the $550 but I was not impressed. I am certain the People 2t is what I am looking for,  cream colored just like the photo above
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:17:06 PM by Ozo »

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
$800 was a good deal for the People with that mileage. Once the weather gets nicer, the prices go up. That are very nice scooters especially for tall folks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()