Author Topic: Super 9 Electric Start Issue  (Read 4417 times)

Butch1978

• View Profile
Super 9 Electric Start Issue
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
Good Afternoon,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with this issue i have with my sons bike. He has a 2009 Super 9 50cc, and the electric start doesn't work, when you push the electric start button you can hear it click, but nothing else. I dont think its the battery as i can put the lights on and they work without the engine running! Obviously not as bright as it is when the engine is running or at revs. But i cant seem to figure out why it wont start? I have searched the web but it only seems to be issues with it not clicking, were my sons one does.
Thanks

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Super 9 Electric Start Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »
I think it's probably battery.  How old is battery?, how often is the scooter ridden to charge the battery?  You can get a new battery shipped to your door for approx $25, try BatteryShark.  Good luck, Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Super 9.  Does it have a kick start?  I would pull the battery, take it to a parts store and have it load tested.  Starter motor turning over a motor is more battery load than lights.

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:18:26 PM »
I think it's probably battery.  How old is battery?, how often is the scooter ridden to charge the battery?  You can get a new battery shipped to your door for approx $25, try BatteryShark.  Good luck, Cheers
I have no idea how old the battery is as we have only had the bike 3 months. It is ridden nearly everyday, but only short journeys, plus the fuel gauge does tend to be intermittent, especially on short journeys

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Super 9.  Does it have a kick start?  I would pull the battery, take it to a parts store and have it load tested.  Starter motor turning over a motor is more battery load than lights.
Yes it does have a kick start, and starts perfectly on that. But the electric start just clicks.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »
Have you removed the starter to see if looks OK, has free movement, maybe ground not making good connection?  Good Luck :-)
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »
Have you removed the starter to see if looks OK, has free movement, maybe ground not making good connection?  Good Luck :-)
I have just taken the battery to get tested! The mechanic thinks the battery or relay could be the issue. Do I think I may see what happens with the battery and possibly a new relay before I look at the starter motor

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
Of the two, the relay would be the likely culprit IMHO.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
He did say that he heard a click when pressing the start button.  For me, that usually means a functioning relay.  I suppose, though,  it could click but not make good contact.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
do you know how to access the relay?, probably have  to remove some plastic panels, a pain, battery probably much easier to check, eliminate as the problem.  I have two 2003 Super 9's, and had one 2004 (sold), all needed batteries, but otherwise all the electric components work, except tach on one 2003 Super 9.  Sometimes, the switches, connections will act up if not used for a long time, have to disconnect/ reconnect wires to clear up connections, etc.  Cheers

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »
do you know how to access the relay?, probably have  to remove some plastic panels, a pain, battery probably much easier to check, eliminate as the problem.  I have two 2003 Super 9's, and had one 2004 (sold), all needed batteries, but otherwise all the electric components work, except tach on one 2003 Super 9.  Sometimes, the switches, connections will act up if not used for a long time, have to disconnect/ reconnect wires to clear up connections, etc.  Cheers
I had the battery tested and it's poorly! So I have ordered a new one, I did find the relay and gave it a clean up! Fingers crossed it works

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »
Hope it works Butch!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 08:14:50 PM »
Hope it works Butch!
Nope it didn't work! So I'm going to replace the relay, then if that don't work I'm going to replace the start motor! It that fails then a can of fuel and a match may do the trick  ;D

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »
Butch, you can do a quick and simple test of the starter motor with out removing it.  Just locate the heavy red wire connected to your starter motor. Clip a red wire jumper clamp to the post you located, making sure the clamp touches nothing else. Then hook red to + and the black to-- on the other end of your jumper cables to any 12 volt good battery. Now go back to the bike and find an unpainted metal piece in the frame, ie: a nut or bolt and touch the remaining black wire clamp to it. Touch it hard and hold it. There will be a spark, so no fuel or fuel soaked rags near by. If the starter motor is good, it will spin. If it doesn't, then it's no good.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:55 AM »
Butch, you can do a quick and simple test of the starter motor with out removing it.  Just locate the heavy red wire connected to your starter motor. Clip a red wire jumper clamp to the post you located, making sure the clamp touches nothing else. Then hook red to + and the black to-- on the other end of your jumper cables to any 12 volt good battery. Now go back to the bike and find an unpainted metal piece in the frame, ie: a nut or bolt and touch the remaining black wire clamp to it. Touch it hard and hold it. There will be a spark, so no fuel or fuel soaked rags near by. If the starter motor is good, it will spin. If it doesn't, then it's no good.
Ok this maybe a dump question but ! It does start on the kick start! So surely the starter motor must work? But I was thinking perhaps it may be too old and abit stiff for the battery to turn it over?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()