Author Topic: Super 9 Electric Start Issue  (Read 4413 times)

Butch1978

• View Profile
Re: Super 9 Electric Start Issue
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »
The kick starter bypasses the starter motor. Instead of an electric motor to turn the engine to get it started, the kick starter uses your foot. The electric motor may be bad. Evidently your foot is not.  ???

ok thanks! I wasnt sure so i thought id ask

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 09:32:59 PM »
Looking back at my reply it looked kind of "smart alleccy" of me Butch. My apologies. There is no such thing as a dumb question. We are all learning here. Best of luck on your scooter. Please let us know if you get it sorted out.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38:36 PM »
You the man, Mr. Paul!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
Butch, you can do a quick and simple test of the starter motor with out removing it.  Just locate the heavy red wire connected to your starter motor. Clip a red wire jumper clamp to the post you located, making sure the clamp touches nothing else. Then hook red to + and the black to-- on the other end of your jumper cables to any 12 volt good battery. Now go back to the bike and find an unpainted metal piece in the frame, ie: a nut or bolt and touch the remaining black wire clamp to it. Touch it hard and hold it. There will be a spark, so no fuel or fuel soaked rags near by. If the starter motor is good, it will spin. If it doesn't, then it's no good.

Good advice here.  In the process you could even discover a loose connection, corrosion or some such problem.  Starter motors aren't cheap.  I've purchased replacement parts only to find, upon installation, that there was an issue other than the part itself. 

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
Looking back at my reply it looked kind of "smart alleccy" of me Butch. My apologies. There is no such thing as a dumb question. We are all learning here. Best of luck on your scooter. Please let us know if you get it sorted out.
hi the reply was fine, and helpfull no worries!! However it now works!!New relay has been put on and buzz buzz it starts!! thanks for everyones help

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »
Great news Butch! Good job on getting it done sir. Now get out and riiiide!  :D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
Of the two, the relay would be the likely culprit IMHO.

So it WAS the relay.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:54 AM »
Glad you found the problem and  got it fixed. You said that since it would kick start then the starter motor much be okay. Not so. The kick start has nothing to do with the electric start system. Just a tid-bit of information that may help you at some point. There is a accumulative wealth of knowledge of Kymco  vehicles on this site and is an excellent source of help. Happy scootering.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()