Author Topic: Riding with the Big dogs  (Read 3363 times)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Riding with the Big dogs
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
I had mt first opportunity to ride my DT300i, in a group ride yesterday. There were four Polaris Spyders and a Harley geezer glide. Their first question was wither or not my Kymco could keep up with them and their second question was, "what's a Kymco." Then they wanted to know where it was made and when I said in Tiwan, they said "oh a chinese scooter."
Yelp! We rode for about three hours and I was proud of my scoot's performance. I think they were impressed, as well. We rode a pretty good clip on a twistie and the DT handled very well. I look forward to being called to join them again.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

footshooter5

• View Profile
Re: Riding with the Big dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
You should have told them that Kymco was founded in 1963 after originally splitting off from Honda, and that they routinely make many parts for Honda motorcycles...

Nothing like a bit of education shuts up ignorant people :)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »
I did footshooter and in addition, Kymco is currently making engines for BMW scooters.. That surprises most people, but, I think, they were most impressed by the way it performed with their high dollar rides.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
The Kawasaki J300 is  Kymco DT painted green and rebadged. Even Kawasaki Heavy Industries are happy to accept that Kymco build a scooter better than they could.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
Kawa is coming out with a J 125,???    is kymco making that one too,

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
I had mt first opportunity to ride my DT300i, in a group ride yesterday. There were four Polaris Spyders and a Harley geezer glide. Their first question was wither or not my Kymco could keep up with them and their second question was, "what's a Kymco." Then they wanted to know where it was made and when I said in Tiwan, they said "oh a chinese scooter."
Yelp! We rode for about three hours and I was proud of my scoot's performance. I think they were impressed, as well. We rode a pretty good clip on a twistie and the DT handled very well. I look forward to being called to join them again.

Mac
My daughter joined me on a "poker run" when she was 18 she was riding her GrandVista 250. Most other rides were Harley. We all had fun an the scoot got a lot of looks.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 04:03:12 AM »
You know when I'm on my scooter riding by myself the Harley riders won't give me the biker wave. You know, left arm extended at a 45 degree angle toward the road. Not that I give a flip, but when I'm riding with the Big dogs they get the wave and by the time they spot me on my scooter, it's too late. I got me a wave. When I was riding my Harley, I'd wave at every body and didn't care if they were on a Moped. People amaze me, you know people like Snorvey, hee hee--just kidding bud. Rebadged Kaw...too funny

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
I still ride occasionally with the Big Dogs (Goldwings) as I'm still a member of a Goldwing forum and attend their meet and greets about once a year. I quickly dispelled any doubts in the past of the abilities of a Maxi Scooter on past rides as they know they can't out ride me. In April I'm headed about 600 miles north to Missouri to attend another one, riding with a group of Wings from Texas. Today's scooters are awesome and are really powerful machines that are so adept at urban and touring duty. Like you Mac, everyone gets a wave in my book. Well almost everyone....Our local bike gang, the Cossacks doesn't wave at anyone and we just leave them alone.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 04:17:32 AM »
Over the last 50 years scooters have come a long way. Today's scooters handle just as well as many motorcycles do. This weekend starts the largest scooter rally in the nation known as HighRollers Weekend here in Vegas. Those scooterists are mostly into the vintage bikes such as Lambretta and Vespa. I have gone there many times and they look down my my Kymco Agility 125. They have saying which goes something like this: Classic, not plastic. I really do not give a crap what they think about my bike.

When I started out seven years ago, I had 50cc Chinese scooter. I knew nothing about two wheels. However, it got me to enjoy and appreciate riding a two wheel bike.  Through riding my scooter, I joined my local scooter club. I experienced a world I never had known had I not rode two wheels. My Kymco is the best bike I have ever had. She has lasted for over four years and barely has a little over 16,000 miles on her. Even the original battery lasted for four years. Now that is impressive for the desert. Most car batteries only last about 2 to 3 years at the most because of the heat here in Vegas.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »
In the North Ga. mountains, my Helix will easily outperform many of those "Big Dogs". With its light weight and low center of gravity, the twisties are a blast! It will also cruise the highway around 70mph all day long. It still amazes me about the ignorance people still have about scooters. Heck, the call my Helix a moped! (Not that theres anything at all wrong with a moped, or whatever you ride!)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
I did footshooter and in addition, Kymco is currently making engines for BMW scooters.. That surprises most people, but, I think, they were most impressed by the way it performed with their high dollar rides.

Mac

I didn't know that!  Always something new to learn in these forums :)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:58 PM »
Most people involved in the scooter industry believe that Kymco is now on par with the Japanese
manufacturers, or darn close.and I do too.  A few select Chinese companies have greatly improved
the quality of their products, since the Made in China invasion began, but none of them come even close to Kymco. The Chinese don't design, research or develop anything. They just clone. Kemco, on the other hand, does every thing from scratch.  No clones I appreciate that.  I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 03:59:19 AM »
I'm usually always widing with the big dogs lol I'm at 70cc as a 2T but at 65mph with the torque to come out of the curves and hills faster this was last weekend had an R1 an R3 a CBF500 2 PCX150s a Wolf 150 and lots of Groms z125S did 210 mile roundtrip ride that day.

2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 07:10:37 AM »

I didn't know that!  Always something new to learn in these forums :)

Yup a smaller displacement in line twin like the one they have been making in the MyRoad 700i since 2008.

Most people involved in the scooter industry believe that Kymco is now on par with the Japanese
manufacturers, or darn close.and I do too.

Close but lacking in one major area, ergonomics. This is pretty obvious comparing my Burman 650's to my MyRoad 700i. The Suzukis seating, handle bars, legroom, and controls all feel good vs the Kymco. I bought some aftermarket brake levers for the Kymco to reduce the higher effort required pulling them in vs the Suzuki to stop. The only two other MyRoad owners i know of and have talked to both have made seat modifications and I intend to on my when I get around to it. Hopefully Kymco paid more attention to detail with their AK550 if they really hope to compete with the Yamaha Tmax.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()