Author Topic: Countersteering  (Read 4746 times)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Countersteering
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
I utilize counter-steering on my scoots. Took a little practice at first but now its second nature. Instead of leaning more, I push more on the inside bar grip. It takes very fine movements. The scooter then leans for me, or something like that. Anyway, it really works!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:07:58 AM »
I learned it on horseback. Not much reigning, more leg pressure/leaning (especially in Pole-bending and Barrel racing).
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
I learned it on horseback. Not much reigning, more leg pressure/leaning (especially in Pole-bending and Barrel racing).

Me too! I have a picture of me in my early days with the boys.   ;D

http://herringfarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BlazingSaddles_HD03.png
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:16:15 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Nice !

Loved my hayburners !

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »
I had to trade in my ride. Only had 1 horsepower!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »
 ;D ;D

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
Good article. I think it's interesting that there was nothing mentioned about the gyroscopic effect and power of a bike's moving wheels in relation to countersteering. As scooter riders we're also in a good place to prove its benefits over peg steering/tank pressing as we have neither. With the free space of our running boards and no pegs we have noting to press against.

Years ago I watched a video where someone welded the front wheel of a MC so it couldn't turn. The idea was to show how far the bike had to travel to make a 180 degree turn using just leaning, peg or tank pressure. Riding in a open area it took a rider hundred of yards just to turn the bike around. When using another bike (with a free moving front whee;) and employing counter steering it took only a matter of meters.

Anyway, this video may help too,

- Wolf

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
I taught a motorcycle safety class years ago on the gyro effect on a rotating wheel. As an illustration, I used a bicycle tire and wheel with a rod thru the axle hole and had the student hole the rod on each side of the wheels, left and right hand on each side. I gave the wheel a good spin and asked the student to try and move the rod, side to side. Of course they felt the gyro effect The class actually involved placing a bike into a controlled skid to avoid a frontal impact. You can make a high speed turn much faster using the skid than using the bob and weave method. Bob and weave works very well at lower speeds.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »
I was under the impression that everybody countersteers whether they realize it or not.

Apparently you can steer with your body weight though, especially with smaller bikes. Shifting your weight causes the front wheel to turn in the same way it would if you were countersteering, so it's not going to work if you weld it straight.

Also, countersteering only initiates the lean. After that you do need to turn the wheel in the direction of the lean.

Going from 12" wheels to 16" wheels made this all much more obvious. And becoming more aware of this definitely made me much better at steering

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
When I started to fly, I was under the impression that something would happen when you MOVED the controls. I eventually found that one need not think "movement" of controls and just think of what you wanted to do. Think LEFT and it goes left. It turns out it is pressure, not movement. Don't fly anymore but I sure love to ride!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()