Author Topic: Michelin wear Right Hand drivers ??  (Read 734 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Michelin wear Right Hand drivers ??
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:05:03 AM »
In Ohio we drive on the right side of the road (except on pay-day nights)....and recently when I was sitting in my frozen garage looking at my scooter's underpants I noticed something.
I got out the mic and checked the tread depth on my Michelin tires. Sure enough, the left side of the tread depth was consistently thinner than the right side of the tread.
Is this because the left side of the tread is riding on the 'up-hill' side of the convex road surfaces , while the right side of the tread is on the down hill side?

What have you folks who drive on the left side of the road (like Kentucky or Manchester City) observed? Is your tread wearing more on the 'up-hill' Right?

Stig

PS: any comments about my chicken strips still being present after 4 yrs will be "moderated" !

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:11:06 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Michelin wear Right Hand drivers ??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
 Before I changed the Kenda tires, I noticed that the right side of the rear tire definitely had more wear. I just thought it was because I rode crooked. I figured I leaned more to right on turns.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »
It  you ride on the right side of the road, then your contact patch would be leftward.  Especially on surface roads where the water run-off slope is more pronounced. Interstates are, for the most part
level except in curve banking. On a NASCAR's right front tire, you can run your fingers under it from the outside, up to your thumb, when the car is sitting still on level pavement. The tire is given this cant angle so that when the car goes into left hand banking at speed, the tire will have a full contact patch, offering the best grip in the turn. Make sense? Also, for the first time, this year, all Sprint Cup cars will be equipped with voice prompting GPS's. Yes, can you believe that!! They will have a sexy female voice saying, TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT....

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »
Next time you stop at Tim Horton's re-arrange the doughnuts in the box to even out the weight distribution before placing then in the top case. You could also skip the jelly doughnuts and buy doughnut holes. Much lighter.  ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()