Author Topic: Electric gloves Quit...Ideas ??  (Read 876 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Electric gloves Quit...Ideas ??
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
Any ideas?
Wire broken right at the battery case. Tough deal to splice back together.
Might try to isolate from the other wire and dab a bit of solder.

3rd winter with these Gerbing heated glove liners, with 3 heat temps....worked well until today!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: Electric gloves Quit...Ideas ??
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
Tricky repair.  Obviously a re-solder is in order. Think about introducing a strain relief somehow to eliminate stress at the solder location, forcing the "bend" point up the wire away from the battery.  That's all I got.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »
The box is glued/welded shut and where the broken lead is not a plug, right? Solid wire soldered to cord leads could be bent and inserted into wire cores left in box then wrapped with tape to keep them there as well as further down the box for strain relief. Lemme see if I can draw a picture and post it on this topic.  Gotta have those gloves workin' for the cold weather that is sure to follow this heat wave!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »
Either purchase a new battery pack - if available - or you may want to cut it open carefully with a dremel tool inside and along the grooves. Then do the resoldering job and put both halfs together again and just fix it with strong tapes. I personally wouldn´t glue it together again, because you might need to go in there once again at a later time. You never know.

Gerbing seems to be aware of that issue obviousy, because newer products/batteries do have female jacks...
Earlier versions are sort of a faulty design.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 01:17:02 AM »
Well, Gerbing has discontinued the glove, and the battery packs are discontinued as well!
So, for now, I have the glove working again by removing both wire leads from the battery. Then soldered  solid copper wires which was pushed into the broken wire ends - then 'plugged' those solid copper wires into the broken wires of the battery.
Careful not to have any cross-shorting of the 2 wires - then electrical taped over the area and taped the wire snugly to the battery case to take the strain off of the battery/wire joint.
It works - and I'm back in business.
I simply cannot ride for more than 20 mins on cold days without these heated glove liners.

Next I am looking at cheaper alternatives - placing one of the spare 12V scooter batteries I have under the seat - and wiring directly to a current/temp controller and on to some 12 V gloves, or liners. I have no interest in wiring 12V gloves to my main LIKE battery.... not while I have 2, good, spare batteries.

From day-one, I was concerned about the life span of these small wires, because they have to be shifted repeatedly when recharging, etc.

THANKS for the suggestions guys !!

Stig
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:19:23 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:15:55 AM »
'Salrite!  Glad your gloves on the mend. Powering from the system would be ideal if there is enough system to drive the gloves and the scoot.

Karl

PS: Didja see my picture on your "first ride" post?

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()