Author Topic: 2017 MXU 270 Speed restricted  (Read 10358 times)

dmatullos

• View Profile
2017 MXU 270 Speed restricted
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
Just purchased this 2017 MXU 270 not being informed the speed is restricted by the factory at 20mph.  The top speed of the 270 is 38mph.  How do I take this restriction off of this KYMCO? My son want to go faster.

Bratman2

• View Profile
Re: 2017 MXU 270 Speed restricted
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »
On late model Kymco atv that have a speed restriction it is usually a spacer inside the CVT. You will need to remove the right side cover. Possibly the foot brake to get the cover off. Tap smartly with a rubber mallet or such. The front pulley set is your primary, remove the bolt, you will most likely need an impact. Use one cover bolt in the rear pulley set to spread the pulleys apart and take side pressure off the belt. You should be able to pull the outside pulley, roller weights and "fixed" plate out in one piece holding them together with your hand. There is a collar on the shaft that sets the minimum distance for the pulleys. Along with the collar should be a much shorter piece to make a "two piece" collar. Remove the shorter piece. Put everything back together how it came off but be sure to Loctite  the front pulley bolt!!! Spin it by hand a turn or two to make sure the belt is not pinched or jammed. Remover the bolt you put in the rear set to spread the CVT apart. Spin another turn or two to check and make sure everything still looks ok! Button her up or if the rear end is supported off the ground you can start the machine and test the pulley set to be sure, then button up.

Also check the throttle, it has a limiting screw in the front. Make sure it is screwed out basically all the way so the throttle has full travel.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

dmatullos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
Thanks Bratman for the response.  Do you know if this is something the dealer will do or am I just going to need to do it myself?  Unfortunately the dealer is 2 hours away but if I need to I will take it there.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
Contact your dealer. They have a bulletin on de-restricting your 270.
DO NOT simply screw out the throttle stop, Even after doing the Kymco De-restriction. The machine will overheat.
The 270's are restricted to achieve a lower age requirement of 14 and up.
If the 270 is adult ridden ask the dealer about restoring it to Mongoose 300 CVT spec's
CJS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()