Author Topic: High beam modification - low beam to stay on when sw to high beam  (Read 860 times)

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
Has anyone modified their headlight switch or harness so that when you switch to high beams, your low beams do not shut off while your high beams are on? Essentially what I want is for all the lights to be on for really dark areas when you need maximum visibility. I can do this by holding the flash to pass switch, but I'd rather have the feature work when switching to high beams.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:51:01 AM by DiscoPotato »

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: High beam modification - low beam to stay on when sw to high beam
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:36:59 AM »
check your elec. out put with both lights on you may not have enough power to run both headlights, I installed two cray LED spot-lights to light up the road, for my high beam, and installed LED H8 or H11 bulbs they both fit,  the headlights are good up close and the cray lights are good for about 150 feet + 

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »
I think the stock wiring could run both simultaneously since both stay on if you hold onto the 'pass' button.

But yes, I too would to have the same feature as the OP has mentioned.

De Dee, how did you route the wiring for your spot lights and where did you mount them to?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »
check your elec. out put with both lights on you may not have enough power to run both headlights, I installed two cray LED spot-lights to light up the road, for my high beam, and installed LED H8 or H11 bulbs they both fit,  the headlights are good up close and the cray lights are good for about 150 feet +

Where did you mount the CREE LED spot lights? I have some mounted on my Kawasaki Ninja 500r and I have a spare set laying around somewhere back when I wanted to install them on the downtown but I never found a suitable location to mount them. I was thinking about mounting them on the fender like I did on my Ninja 500 but the downtown's fender bolt hole is recessed and probably wouldn't be a good place to mount it unless I make a spacer or something to make the recess flush with the fender. Also, did you just tap into the low beams for power?

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
yes I taped into the low beam wires,  I hooked the cray lights to the side of the headlights on the faring just out board of the headlights,  so when they are on it looks like I have 4 lights in a row,.   

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 03:47:33 AM »
Mounting on the front fender isn't a good idea as the forks are not absorbing the bumps, best is on the sprung side, not the unsprung side.

Where did you mount the CREE LED spot lights? I have some mounted on my Kawasaki Ninja 500r and I have a spare set laying around somewhere back when I wanted to install them on the downtown but I never found a suitable location to mount them. I was thinking about mounting them on the fender like I did on my Ninja 500 but the downtown's fender bolt hole is recessed and probably wouldn't be a good place to mount it unless I make a spacer or something to make the recess flush with the fender. Also, did you just tap into the low beams for power?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:57:06 AM »
take a look at scooter wolfs trip you will see my seat Mod. and how I installed the cray spot lights,.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()