Author Topic: side wind, how much too much?  (Read 1350 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
side wind, how much too much?
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
I rode recently on a very windy day, was fairly scary.

Riding on 2 lane country roads, speed limit 50 to 60 mph, not much traffic.  I usually like to move from side to side in my lane, will move away from the center with oncoming traffic or passing car, and move back close to center line.  I was getting blown around so much, was worried about getting pushed over the center line or off the road, if too close to either side.

I once got on the white line on the outside shoulder and kept weaving back and forth over it, a little out of control, maybe could have gone off the road.  I tried going faster, but didn't seem to help, so I lowered my speed.

After awhile, I got more confident, but cut my ride short, I was worn out from fighting the wind.

My question:  I guess the wind can push the tires out from under the scooter as you are leaning to the side to maintain a straight line, what point do you know it's dangerous.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: side wind, how much too much?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
If you feel it is a fight to stay on the road it is to much wind,.   only stick to your comfort zone.!! we don't want to rear about you in the paper,. 

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »
Im with De dee on that one. Like an airplane pilot, dont ride in conditions beyond your rating and equipment. Sounds like your recent ride pushed the envelope waay too close.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
Similar to what Mr. Paul said, glider pilots fly BECAUSE of the weather, not in SPITE of it. Crosswinds can turn over loaded truck and semi-trailers. Like pilots not rated (more appropriately, not trained and proficient) for instrument conditions do a 180 degree turn and get out of the conditions. Turn away to ride another day! It is your call as to when.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
Well you certainly know it's too much when the rubber leaves the road and plastic and body parts, takes it's place. I think I was probably coming back from Memphis, on 385, about that same time. I was running 70mph and the wind was jerking  the bike around so bad that I was using both lanes.
Being rush hour enhanced the excitement. Wind had to be coming from the west because when I turned east on 64 it got a hole lot better. I kept thinking the Silverwing would have been more stable , with it's extra 140 lbs. Or maybe not. Hwy 90 going into Sturgis always had terrible cross winds and I remember fighting the Ultra Classic, at 1000 lbs, all the way. We came upon a crash. Seems a man on a hog with his daughter was pulling a motorcycle pop-up camper and ran thru a flash floor dip, causing the trailer to become airborne. The wind blew it 90 degree to the bike and when it came down, it flipped the bike and they both died. The fact is these bikes, big, little or in between, require a major dose of common sense for us to survive.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
A bit of my work run is on exposed north to south roads and the prevailing wind is westerly and sometimes south westerly.

If I check the weather beforehand, I'd say a 35-40mph gusting crosswind is mildly uncomfortable. Anything above 45mph and I take the car. You've also got to consider other stuff being blown into you, from branches to other vehicles and in town, wheelie rubbish bins.

My work run isn't all that long (about 6 miles) so it's more acceptable over the short duration. If I had a fifty mile run, then I might be less tolerable about adverse weather.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
Good comments, Thanks :-)
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:26 PM »
Winds!
I had one occasion that it was mandatory that I make a distant ride in very heavy cross winds. Departed Ft Sam Houston, TX - taking our bike to my parents home in Topeka before flying to Vietnam. I put my wife and our luggage on the Santa Fe Chief, while I headed out on the bike with a tank case with clear map pocket.

Many times the bike swung a long ways under me - but in time I got used to it. Maybe it helped that it was a bare bike with no screen.

Today, I stay off the scooter if the winds are gusting.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()