Author Topic: Kymco 250 Temperature Gauge  (Read 3980 times)

footshooter5

• View Profile
Kymco 250 Temperature Gauge
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
Hi all,

Just bought a well maintained but used 2006 Kymco Xciting 250, only had about 2500 miles on it when I bought it and got a great deal on it.  I found this forum looking for an answer to my question, but hopefully someone here will know.

It's a little bit colder here in St. Louis, MO - about 40 degrees at the moment, and I've noticed that when I ride, the indicator temperature gauge on the dash doesn't really move much, maybe just  little bit off the bottom tick; however, when I've parked it in my garage and am just about done for the day, before I switch off the ignition, I've noticed that then it starts to rise, to about the halfway point, and then the radiator fan kicks on.

I'm only riding about 8 miles back and forth to work at the moment, and I imagine that the air flow is in fact doing it's job while riding, but I just wanted to check and make sure this wasn't something anomalous or that my thermostat is having any issues. 

Thanks for your help, and glad to be joining the forum.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco 250 Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »
that's just the heat rising in the motor, when it does not circulate the water, very normal,. 

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »
that's just the heat rising in the motor, when it does not circulate the water, very normal,.

Thanks so much for the reply.  Just to clarify, it's perfectly normal that the temperature gauge isn't moving much when I'm riding around a handful of miles?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:54:55 PM »
 both my scooters do that ,  try WOT. for 1/2 hour to red line you should get some change ,  with a heavy person on board, or look for a long steep hill,.  just don't kill yourself with to much speed,  ride safe  de dee

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »
Check my comments in "General Discussions"

Mac   
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:11:28 AM »
Thanks to you both for your replies! 

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
When its about 40°F outside, it takes about 15 minutes (5 minutes of warmup and 10 minutes of driving) for my Xciting 250 needle to get in the normal area.  It takes about a minute to get there once I see it start moving.
The Xciting 500 engine takes about 25 minutes to get there at the same temperatures.   I'm having the cold starting problems with my XC500RiABS, I need to put the battery charger on and put it in start assist mode to get the 500 running when the temperature drops to near 40 degrees, so I usually just take the 250 out on those days.  (The 500 is relatively new to me, and I've yet to replace the battery or stator).

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:20:49 AM »
Regarding cold start issues on the 500.there are posts on  this forum about the issue, one being a gel battery, and another idea, a module to boost the voltage to the ECU while cranking, this solution solution found on a German kymco forum.
Personally, I had to replace regulator, bike equivalent of an alternator(stator) , and starter and that big round metal cylindrical thing on the left of the battery(solenoid) . The best results were achieved with the regulator and alternator. I have had zero starting problems for nearly a year, but in the South Africa, it is never extremely cold.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:49:39 AM by xsel777 »
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:22:39 AM »
My 500 also takes really really long to get to operating temp. It had been that way for 3 years, and I no longer worry, since my motor has never siezed, so, it is nice to find the behaviour to be normal.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
My 500 also takes really really long to get to operating temp. It had been that way for 3 years, and I no longer worry, since my motor has never siezed, so, it is nice to find the behaviour to be normal.

Kymco's big ol' single pot 500 is their monster bike in my book. Even the 700 is a twin.
The boys in Taiwan  just never got it quite right when they ventured into the 500's area.
Have they beefed up the start system in the new 500 models....or is it still an adventure to start in the large non tropical part of the world?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:01:09 AM »
Stig, starting issues are non - existent at the moment (it is full - blown summer here), but I noticed that after the stator, and regulator were changed, starting improved dramatically.

It still kind of sounds like the battery is flat when starting, and the motor starts turning, it is almost with held-in breath waiting for it to actually start, as it has this hesitation, as it sounds like the motor won't turn because the battery is flat, and then it starts.(there must be some tremendous pressure at this point)

To be clear, the motor spins fast for a sec, then the flat battery symptom happens (engine struggled to turn), and then it starts. If it fails to start, a 2 sec wait and it starts right up.

I have never been stranded again, at a least a year of trouble-free riding, and I am trusting it will continue.

Happy riding.😀

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:04:01 AM by xsel777 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()