Author Topic: My new windscreen  (Read 2845 times)

Burgi

• View Profile
My new windscreen
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:03:21 PM »
Installed a Puig Traffic on my GT this week. Had to get it from Italy as Puig USA doesn't have it and has no plans to. The Traffic is the smallest windscreen Puig offers for our 300's. It is not a universal. As any of us that have tried to find screens for these bikes know the pickings are mighty slim!

The design of this scoot without a windscreen was very problematic for me. Anything over 20 miles an hour I had to keep my face shield down or road grit went directly into my eyes. The little wind deflector sent everything directly into my head. At freeway speeds, even with ear plugs, the noise was deafening. Turning my head, to check blind spots, was nearly impossible.

So, as much as I didn't want to pay shipping from Europe, I also did not want a tall screen, that I had to look through and blocked to much wind. Took a month to get it and I wouldn't say installation was easy. One of the brackets was wrong. The hole was not the right size and needed to be drilled out. There were no instructions, only a picture. The parts list was in Italian and included far more items than I received, though it had what I needed for the install.

Once fitted up it works wonderfully and was worth the trouble. The plastic seems high quality and edges are finished nicer than any other windscreen I have owned.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:05:43 PM by Burgi »
'14 GT 300i,  BMW RT, Bonneville, SYM HD200

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: My new windscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »
Nice job! We got the Puig Urban for wife's GTi300 and found the same bracket problem, one hole 8 mm and one 10 mm. Both needed to be 10 mm. Solved that with the Dremel. Good screen and hardware in my opinion.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »
Nice job! We got the Puig Urban for wife's GTi300 and found the same bracket problem, one hole 8 mm and one 10 mm. Both needed to be 10 mm. Solved that with the Dremel.

How odd that we both had that issue. Can't see why they would be packed that way unless Euro scoots have two different size mirror bolts?

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:46:25 AM »
how tall are you and how does it handle the highway now with this screen?

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »
I have that screen on my Like and the install was a struggle to figure out. They really need to supply step by step info  for their products. It has proven to be a good screen for the speeds the Like can achieve. All the hardware was correct on mine.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Burgi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »
how tall are you and how does it handle the highway now with this screen?

I am 5'6" but only have a 29" inseam so my height is more in my body than legs. It has really improved the ride quality of this bike immensely for me, like a whole new ride!
I have only had the bike up to 60MPH (indicated) with the new screen but it was very stable. I see no reason will not work well to the top of my scoots speed range.

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
Thanks. I am glad it's working well for you.  :)

Mike Haynes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 02:53:26 AM »
I also have installed a windscreen on my People GTI 300.  I was surprised to learn how much the windscreen decreased my top end speed.  Without the windscreen I can get up to 85 pretty fast.  With the windscreen my scooter bogs down at about 78.  This is not a problem for me.  But, it was not what I expected. 

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
Hey, I know I'm very late to this thread but if you're still around Burgi, how is that windscreen working out for you?  My Puig got messed up (as near as I can tell someone either sideswiped my People or backed into it  ::)  )  so I'm looking to replace it.  It's rather barn doorish and I like the size of the one you got.  How much bufetting do you get with that screen?  Would you get it again?

Right now I'm riding sans anything other than the stock deflector (I won't even call it a screen).  After riding a while at freeway speeds (55-70) I've decided I definitely DO need to put something back on it.

Nelson87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
I was wondering if Puig windscreen is available in black or tinted? I was looking at one by Memphis before, but they say the windscreen is universal, so I am not sure if it will fit okay.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()