Author Topic: Problems with 09 People 50 2T  (Read 1556 times)

Owen Stegr

• View Profile
Problems with 09 People 50 2T
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:11:36 AM »
So I bought a one owner people 2T back in July and its now January. It has 14,000 Kilometers (is that a lot?). Ive been having a few issues with it. To start a few weeks after I bought it I went away for a week and when I came back it took many tries of a few minutes using the electric starter before it started, it wasn't the battery or spark plug I checked both. The reason I didn't use the kick start is because of my second issue. The kick starter is just limp on my scooter and hangs there, not sure what to do. I went to start my scooter almost 2 months ago after it had been ran a week before and the battery was good and you could hear the electric starter but it wouldn't fire. This past weekend I had the same issues with it and it wouldn't start, I haven't run it in two months because of this, the electrical was good, the spark plug was dry, you could hear the electric starter it just wouldn't fire. It was 60 degrees too, does temperature matter? I had put fresh gas so that wasn't the issue. I have gotten this scooter up to 53mph according to its speedometer which 4mph fast from when I tested it. When I have rode it most of the time its fast to 35mph and then still accelerates well. But sometimes it just completely stops at 30mph and wont go over. My scooter has a upgraded exhaust from what I can see its a Hand X made and what looks to be a K&N air filter. I was given a K&N air filter recharger kit as well from the previous owner. Just trying to get to the bottom of this and get it running again, any help is appreciated.

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with 09 People 50 2T
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 04:10:43 AM »
How do you know your battery is good?  Was it tested under load?  If not, just about any autoparts store will test it for free. 
Less chit chat, more riding.

Owen Stegr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:28:06 PM »
How do you know your battery is good?  Was it tested under load?  If not, just about any autoparts store will test it for free.

I have not had it tested under load but the starter runs and the battery tender I have shows it is good.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
Based upon my experience, the autopetcock is not opening, carb is not getting fuel.  These are very good scooters, but have a few issues and the autopetcock is one IMO.  Mine are always hard to start, if sits for any length of time.  If ridden daily, will start easily the next morning, if I let it sit for a week or longer it will be hard to start.

Try manually choking the carb air intake 100%.  I run after market pod airfilters, so I will wrap the air filter with a plastic grocery bag and try to start it.  The extra vacuum will open the autopetcock and deliver fuel to the carb and engine will start.  If you are running the OEM airbox, there is square intake hole at the bottom of the airbox, block it off to choke it.  Good luck, Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
Is the tank venting?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()