Author Topic: I pulled a good one yesterday  (Read 3227 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I pulled a good one yesterday
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
And now i`m concerned. I was putting fuel stabilizer and and octane booster in my GT. Haven`t been riding much lately because of bad weather.
I opened one of the bottles, lined it over the gas tank hole to pour. Low and behold a little cardboard seal was stuck to the end of the bottle and I did not notice it. Just as I began to pour, I saw the seal fall right into my gas tank. sh**!.
I got a flashlight and my retrieval tool to try to remove it. Tank was almost full of gas.
I could not see the seal. The tank is irregular in shape. Guess i`ll have to siphon the gas out and try again.
Harbor Freight sells a video inspection tool for about $60-$70. May have to go that rout. Real expensive for such a simple mistake. Don`t want to pull the gas tank.
Any suggestions?.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:42:27 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
Re: I pulled a good one yesterday
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »
That piece of cardboard can't get past the fuel filter, just ride the bike and don't worry about it.  What is the reason for the octane booster? 
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
Thinking the same thing - my fuel pump pick-up is through a filter bag. That piece can't get through the filter.
If really concerned, (about it disintegrating into particles, for instance) drain her down to a small amount and slosh it around until it comes into view and get it with your kitchen tongs. I once lost all the plastic bits off of the end of a Volare' distributor into the engine.....nothing bad happened before the engine exploded. :)
Nah, just kidding.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
That piece of cardboard can't get past the fuel filter, just ride the bike and don't worry about it.  What is the reason for the octane booster?

Like Stig said, i`m concerned the seal will melt and clog my filter and kill my engine when i`m out riding. Don`t like the idea of possibly breaking down on the side of the road way out in the boonies.
I use a little octane booster to try to keep the gas from getting stale while sitting.
I also add a small amount of fuel injector cleaner occasionally.
300GTI black

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
Stig had the best suggestion. Just keep at it until it comes into view. BTW Stig, did that Volare' have the rich Corinthian leather?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
Stig had the best suggestion. Just keep at it until it comes into view. BTW Stig, did that Volare' have the rich Corinthian leather?
It was a base model 6 cyl. VOLAR, but had the great full-gauge package on the dash. I inherited it from my Grandpa when he passed. He'd knocked the E's off on both sides ....on the curved bridge guard rails 100 yards from the VFW. He used the guard rails to get him around the curve a few times on his way home....kinda dirt-tracking it around the bend. Never knew whether it was his refreshments, or the cataracts that required this bumper-car style.
 GOOD running car, otherwise....but with metal-on-glass wiper blades and a thoroughly burnt rear carpet and rear seat. He used to empty his still lit pipe by reaching behind the front seat and knocking out the ashes. Apparently he thought the smell of burning VOLAR was just his pipe tobacco. He did this for a couple of decades.**

When first dating my future wife - I used to park the best side of the VOLAR facing her apt. ....though both sides were a little rough in the daylight. (my three kids always made me let them out a few blocks from school) Once I was certain she could make an apple pie and I'd gotten a ring on her...I gave up that practice.
Stig
** I tried to cover the smell with a bunch of those hanging pine tree car scents. My kids said it just made the car smell like a forest fire.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:02:41 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:02:04 PM »
 ;D Oh, Stig, you just KILL me!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
Absolutely hilarious Stig!!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

boo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »
And now i`m concerned. I was putting fuel stabilizer and and octane booster in my GT. Haven`t been riding much lately because of bad weather.
I opened one of the bottles, lined it over the gas tank hole to pour. Low and behold a little cardboard seal was stuck to the end of the bottle and I did not notice it. Just as I began to pour, I saw the seal fall right into my gas tank. sh**!.
I got a flashlight and my retrieval tool to try to remove it. Tank was almost full of gas.
I could not see the seal. The tank is irregular in shape. Guess i`ll have to siphon the gas out and try again.
Harbor Freight sells a video inspection tool for about $60-$70. May have to go that rout. Real expensive for such a simple mistake. Don`t want to pull the gas tank.
Any suggestions?.

Update: 1/21/17
Got it out. It a bit of an ordeal. Took me about three hours.
Guys, be careful with those additive bottles. Can be a problem for scooter, motorcycle, or car. Taught me a lesson.
300GTI black

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
Glad you got it out! Good thing beer bottles dont come with those things. :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
Good one , STIG !    ;D
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 02:33:00 AM »
You don't put beer in your scooter, do you Mr Paul?

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »
You don't put beer in your scooter, do you Mr Paul?

Mac

No I dont Mac. Nothing but good old petrol. It would be a choke hazard in a beer bottle though. My attempt at  humor.  :-\
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 03:48:16 PM »
Hee Hee

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
Any suggestions?.
Boo, regarding the octane booster: Would it be cheaper to go with a tank of Shell V-Power premium gas?
SHELL claims that this is the most advanced gasoline currently on the market.
V-Power Nitro+ adds chemicals to the company's gas that allegedly coats parts to prevent engine wear and protect fuel system components.

Get cleaning and protective additives, as well as higher octane.
All Top Tier fuels are supposed to have some cleaners and protectives in them - like the Shell.

Just wondering - Have been running my LIKE200i, Forza 300 and Burgman 400 on BP premium from day one.....and switched to this SHELL gas a few months ago.
Stig
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:03:52 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()