Author Topic: From Scooter back to a Bike ?  (Read 6895 times)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: From Scooter back to a Bike ?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
I never thought a scooter could be so useful.  I'd like a big bike again, but I would miss the scooter, mostly because it's just so useful for carrying stuff, and I can park it anywhere for free.  Also I like it because my feet don't get wet in the rain :-) 

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 04:10:38 AM »
Not for me....I'm a convert. Auto transmission, weather protection and storage make it hugely practical on a day to day basis for me......And on a nice day, I can chuck a sandwich, a bottle of water and a camera under the seat and clear off into the hills for the day.
Exactly what Snorvey said. Besides, it's been way too many years since I rode anything with a clutch and gears.   8)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
at this point in my life - no
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
I would love to but at my age, my vision and reflexes are not up to par.
Cruising around on my GT is right for me.
Believe it or not, I love high powered crotch rockets.
Actually, I like all two wheel machines.
Have had motorcycles all my life. Now i`m 67 years old with health problems.
The GT does what I need and it is not too heavy to handle. Scooters will do me till I get to the end of the road.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:52:52 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: at this point in my life - no
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »
[ Scooters will do me till I get to the end of the road.
[/quote]

"End of the road." Nice pun boo!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

lg8302ch

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »
I have been thinking about it but somehow feel attached to the comfort of my Xciting 400i ABS which feels like a motorcycle to me with the comfort of a scooter. This summer I have done 11K  miles over the Swiss alpine passes and the maxi scooter followed the BMW GS with no issues.  Not sure if maybe I will go for a test drive on the Yamaha Tracer 700 or 900.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 10:37:28 PM »
I think about it every day.  I have 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles.  Every time I go for a ride I have to make the decision: Scooter or motorcycle?  More often than not I choose scooter.  Last year I rode about twice as many miles on scooters as I did motorcycles.  For some things motorcycles are better, for others scooters.  Scooters are definitely more practical but for performance it's motorcycles all the way.  More fun?  It depends on the ride.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
Boo, you just a kid at 67! Scoots are a way for us older guys to still ride. You also have and option when your balance is off with side cars and Tow-Pac training wheel outrigger add-on's. I miss my old BSA fondly but it had NOWHERE to put even a bedroll. I, too, like the dry feet when I get trapped with a rain shower, the cargo capacity under the seat and so on.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »
Why not both ?
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »
A little late to the party, but I have thought about trading my scooter in for an MC. The thing is I am having so much fun riding a scooter. I like the fact that were I live scooters are the exception so I find it kind of cool to be different. I think I'll stay with a scooter. If anything I like to trade-up or add a 300cc scooter.

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
I have had the "hots" for either the Royal Enfield or the Suzuki thumpers from time to time but always turn back to the DT. Even salivated over the Ural with the side-hack until I rode my wife's GTi300 with he training wheels. Yuk! Always ride fondly the DT with easy-clean, storage and reliability.

Karl

I felt the same way when I rented a H-D trike and a Can Am Spyder.  Ninety percent of the fun of riding a motorcycle is leaning in the turns.  Unfortunately, Nevada has almost no twisties.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 03:00:27 AM »
You are so right Doc. I put a trike kit on my geezer glide and took it right back off. Leaning on them twistees is what biking is all about and if I have to explain that to you, you would'nt understand, no offense to the trikers, side car'ers or training wheelers. My DT300 leans real good.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 02:33:40 PM »
You are so right Doc. I put a trike kit on my geezer glide and took it right back off. Leaning on them twistees is what biking is all about and if I have to explain that to you, you would'nt understand, no offense to the trikers, side car'ers or training wheelers. My DT300 leans real good.

Mac

I too put a trike kit on my Goldwing but like you Mac was unhappy with it as it was no longer a motorcycle but an oversized ATV. I did it because I kept dropping my 1000 pound Wing in the deep sand on the half mile dirt road to our house. It did increase the value of the bike substantially though as it fetched a handsome price. Mine was the outrigger ; Tow Pac Insta Trike.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:35:53 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
A real trike conversion might have been better, but at $5K or more, not that much better. When I get where I can't hold up my bike, then I'll know it's time to hang up my helmet for good. I don't have to contend with any sand or gravel roads and the DT weights only 1/3 of what the Ultra Class was. We will stay in the saddle as long as we can brother. Ride on....

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
first motorized 2 wheeler was a 2010 People S200 purchased in Fall of '15.....enjoyed riding it so much that I took the MSF course and then bought a used Ninja 300 last Fall.  Keeping them both because as others have said, they both have their place. Will probably move up to a little bigger bike within a few years but always plan on keeping the scooter.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()