Author Topic: Auto Bystarter  (Read 2804 times)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Auto Bystarter
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »
I fear my S is a bit cold blooded.
My thought is that it's the auto bystarter (Part 16035-KEC3-90A) or possibly the resistor that runs it.
Anybody having any tips on troubleshooting that, or know of a cheaper replacement for the stock kymco one? (which runs 40 bucks plus shipping, & is evidently not made of magic monkey spit)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: Auto Bystarter
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
I bench tested the bystarter on my Super 8 50 2T.  I also tested the resistor on the same bike.  Can you remove the bystarter on your bike without removing the carb?  If not, there is another test method.  Do you know where the resistor is located on your bike?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »
The Bystarter isn't bad to get at.
The resistor is under the front cover which is pretty tough to remove.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:41:25 AM »
On my Super 8 50, I was able to remove a small cover and reach in to the resistor with needle nose pliers.  After disconnecting the 2 wires to the resistor I could reach in with the probes of the multi-meter to test resistance.  Regarding the bystarter, mine was held in place by 2 screws and a retainer clip.  After disconnecting the two leads about 12" from the bystarter, I was able to pull the wires along with the bystarter.  Observe the position of the barrel/needle of the bystarter.  Connect the bystarter leads directly to a battery and walk away for 5 minutes.  The barrel/needle should move about 1/8".  If it does, it's working correctly.  I believe you can also check the bystarter resistance. 

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
Thanks,
Sounds like a not too tough test; albeit I need to take off the body plastic to get at the plug for the bystarter.
Did you end up replacing yours?

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
My bystarter and resistor both tested as okay so there was not need to replace them.  The bike sat for a long time before I bought it.  It was difficult to start and did run quite right so I wanted to check out all aspects of the fuel system. which turned out to include the bystarter and resistor.  What are the symptoms which lead you to consider the bystarter and resistor as possibly suspect?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »
Just cold start issues.  Takes a bit to get it up & running.  No danger of exhausting the battery or anything.
Runs out great and I don't let it sit that much.
Pretty much classic bystarter problems.
That's why I waffle on whether I want to bother or not.  It's not that big a deal but it would be nice to not have to deal with.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 11:57:14 PM »
"Just cold start issues.  Takes a bit to get it up & running. "  Does it take a while to fire up, won't  it idle or is it rough running when cold or ....?

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »
Starts then stalls out a few times, after about three five minutes & a few starts (in this weather) it's up & running smoothly.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
I'm not familiar with your particular carburetor, but......On the few carbs with the electric bystarter that I have worked on, the pickup tube for the enriching circuit extends into a walled off cavity of the float bowl.  The gas in this cavity is fed from the main part of the float bowl through a small hole at the base of the dividing wall.  Just like carb jets and other small carb passages this hole can be obstructed by debris or gas varnish build-up.  If this hole is obstructed, insufficient or no gas would be supplied to the enriching circuit, causing the symptoms you describe.   

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 02:14:59 AM »
I had a local mechanic clean the carb, & do a few other things a while back  I guess it's possible he missed it, but I did mention that as one of the items.
He did rejet it a tetch and it runs like a charm, so no question he'd been in there.

I probably should take it apart again & give everything the once over, maybe check the valves, & belt.  Make a partial day of it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()